General Lee vs Gran Torino

HossC

I can't see any mention of this shootout on HazzardNet, so I thought I'd post it even though it's about 3 years old. UK TV show Fifth Gear is kind of a poor relation to BBC's Top Gear (some of the presenters used to be on Top Gear before they changed the format). Back in 2007 they decided to race General Lee against Starsky and Hutch's Gran Torino (spelt 'Grand Torino' in the title). The driver is presenter Vicki Butler-Henderson who holds both car and powerboat racing licenses.

I can't see any mention of this shootout on HazzardNet, so I thought I'd post it even though it's about 3 years old. UK TV show Fifth Gear is kind of a poor relation to BBC's Top Gear (some of the presenters used to be on Top Gear before they changed the format). Back in 2007 they decided to race General Lee against Starsky and Hutch's Gran Torino (spelt 'Grand Torino' in the title). The driver is presenter Vicki Butler-Henderson who holds both car and powerboat racing licenses.

I saw this clip a couple of years ago. I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it, tho' I think y'all can guess who wins. LOL

As a side note, Paul Michael Glaser talks about the Torino a bit on the first season DVD for S&H. He wasn't fond of the car's performance (or rather, lack thereof). Often, it seemed Starsky was always hitting the curbs when sliding to a stop. Apparently Glaser was doing that on purpose. ROFL

The Torino gets mentioned in David Soul's 2003 appearance on Top Gear.

I remember hearing somewhere that the original Torino had bench seats which had to be swapped for bucket seats as Paul and David were always sliding into each other when filming chases.

Hoss thanks for posting that! That was very interesting to watch...do like Starsky and Hutch, but haven't seen it in a very long time. I am a much bigger Dukes fan. That was interesting info on Glaser's dislike of the Torino. Being a fan, I never saw anything wrong with it. LOL. Though was VERY glad with who won the race between The General and the Torino. Though does leave me questioning her question..."What was Boss driving, a mule?" I highly have to disagree with her implications of The General being slow...or maybe I am reading too much into what she was saying!

I highly have to disagree with her implications of The General being slow...or maybe I am reading too much into what she was saying!

It's easy to forget how technology moves on. The General has a big engine, but also a lot of weight to carry. The test was round a short twisty circuit which, let's face it, is not what Chargers were designed for. Up until recently it has been a running joke this side of the Atlantic that US car designers have never seen road that isn't straight. :).

I think I felt the same as you when Top Gear put another of my favorite cars, an Aston Martin DB5 (the James Bond car from Goldfinger) round their track. It looked good standing still, but wallowed through the corners, and was pretty slow. The same episode also had a similar age Jaguar E-Type (XK-E). The Jaguar looked stock, but had new suspension and electrics. It performed like you expected it to when you were a little boy :).

In another episode of Top Gear the 3 presenters had to buy 70s Italian supercars for under £10,000. They had a Maserati, a Ferrari and a Lamborghini (admittedly all had seen better days). They were all beaten on a lap by a diesel-engined Vauxhall (Saturn) Astra.

Here's another British view of American cars from Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson. This one is from his mid 90s series Motorworld:

I wish the commenters on YouTube had a sense of humor - while America was making these cars the British car industry produced some absolute rubbish in the brief periods when they weren't on strike :rofl:.