When Lonely Hearts Meet...

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke swallowed, biting his lip. Nodding a little, he stood to his full height. "Guess...I'll see you later then..." he said softly, his voice breaking a little. Maybe he was wrong...maybe Zack didn't want him after all.

He decided to seek out the lady in charge. "Scuse me...can you tell me what's wrong with Zack? He's so upset..."

For once, the lady was resting happily and quietly in the lounge area of the home. There were few kids in the home that day because it was the time of the week when possible foster parents were allowed to take the child they were looking to adopt out. Unlike some places, she didn't just let them go whenever the parents wanted. She understood the need for a routine in the children's lives. So during the week they went to school, then came back into the home to take part in structured playtimes, dinner and bedtimes. Or she tried to anyway. Weekends were their trips out. The only children who didn't go to school were Zack and some of the youngest ones who were napping. Zack rarely moved away from the window and refused point blank to do anything else.

The lady jumped a little as Luke spoke, jerking herself out of the light doze she had unknowingly fallen into and getting to her feet quickly. For once her hair was let down to hang loose down her back and she didn't look as hassled and tired as with the other days.

"I'm so sorry, I must have dozed off...its so quiet here..." she chuckled gently, heading over to him. "What was it you wanted to ask?"

"Ohhh...no, no its definitly not you....he always gets upset this time of the week but..." Biting her lip softly, she leant against the wall with her arms folded across her stomach. "Every week the children go out with people that might foster them....except Zack never does because he refuses to leave the room....every weekend he waits for his parents to come and pick him up...its when he's the most hopeful...and when he's the most upset. I think he....he's really starting to realize that the promise his parent's made him...well they're not gonna keep it..."

She murmured gently, looking like she even hated to say the words.

The lady bit her lip softly, knowing that he really wanted to help the little boy as much as they all did. The thing was she honestly didn't know how to help him...no one did. Not even the Doc who had been here on numerous occassions.

"To be honest, I really don't know...no one does...it doesn't help he won't let anyone close cause any time I do get to be with him away from the other children he doesn't want to know..."

"We've tried so much short of actually telling him that they're not coming back...but who can do that...I dont know anyone that could crush his little heart like that..."

She said with a small shake of the head...though if she was honest with herself, she was pretty sure that just Luke being there and hanging out with him would help. From what she had seen him do already, it was clear the little boy trusted him.

Zack once again didn't look up althought if Luke could have seen his face then he would have seen the surprise pass across his little features that Luke did actually come back to him. He was so used to people coming and going, some never to be seen again that he had seemed to lose all kind of faith in people sticking by him.

"I uh...I brung ya somethin'" he said, taking from the pocket of his jean jacket something carefully wrapped in a napkin. "S'a couple cookies...Daisy made 'em this mornin'. Now I know you probably don't feel like eatin' right now...but you can save 'em for a snack later...or give 'em away...whatever you want..." he suggested setting the cookies carefully on the window ledge beside the little boy.

Luke bit his lip. Swallowing hard, he said something he had never told anyone...not even Bo. "You know...even years after my folks died...I'd still...imagine them comin' back for me somehow.... wasn't that I didn't like bein' at the farm but...I just missed 'em so much...I guess I thought...if I waited long enough...God'd send a miracle..."

Unbeknownst to Luke, the social worker was standing outside the door quietly, just listening to him talk to the little boy with a small smile. She knew about Luke's life from his records, but it was a different thing completly to actually understand the person you were researching. Based on everything she had on him, it would be easy to just turn down Luke's application....he didn't have a lot of money, his home was unstable because of that, he was on probation and constantly in trouble with the law.

But it was harder to reject him when she could see how much effort he was putting in with Zack, how he refused to turn away from the little boy even though it was clear Zack was trying his best to make him leave. She would admit herself that she didn't have the time or patience to sit there with Zack and try to get him to talk. Harder still when Zack seemed to be responding to Luke a little each day, forming an attatchment with him. Smiling a little, she crept back down the stairs to look through her papers some more...

Zack in the meantime was listening to every word Luke was saying, even though he didn't move his head from his knees. HIs stomach grumbled a little at the mention of the cookies though, and it was hard for him not to move and take one to eat. In a way, it was a little comforting for him to hear that Luke had lost his parents too...but in another way Luke didn't understand the hurt of knowing his parents were out there....just that they didn't WANT to come and get him...that they didn't WANT him...that he was alone because he was unloved.

"Now...I know...what I went through is a lot different than what you're feelin'...heck...if I was in your shoes, I'd probably feel the same..."

He bit his lip. "Now I don't know why your folks ain't come back for ya... but sometimes..." He sighed hard. "Sometimes...bad things happen to good people. Ain't no reason...they didn't do nothin' t' deserve it, it...just happens...now your folks...they must have a real good reason why they didn't come back....somethin...musta stopped em...cuz anyone'd be lucky t have a little boy like you...they'd be crazy not t come back," he said softly.

At that, Zack shook his head as little tears traced down his face though Luke couldn't see him. He didn't feel like anyone would be lucky to have him, because if they were then his parents would have come back...no the reason they didn't come back was clear and simple to the little boy...and he told Luke as much.

"They don't love me...I'm a stupid boy..." he murmured with an injured sniff, his voice rising in pitch as he threatened to break down in sobs, repeating what he'd been told for a while before his parents left him. "...I shouldna been born in the first place..."

Jumping at the yell, the little boy flinched and huddled more under the covers that were surrounding him. He whimpered softly as he clung George to him and practically tried to press himself through the window in an attempt to get away from something that was not coming. His parents rarely ever hit him, just used to say mean things to him...but when they did hit him...it hurt.