When Lonely Hearts Meet...

"Bo Duke what the heck did Boss put in that drink of yers? Luke loves you...he's always loved you...whether he has a family of his own ain't gonna change that one bit. Family is family..."

Cooter just did not understand how Bo could say such a thing. Of all the families he knew, the Dukes were the closest-knit he ever saw. It made no sense.

"And when has it happened before? Luke ain't never put a child before you...or anyone else for that matter..."

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I didn't say it had happened before Cooter I said it's startin' t'happen now...an' come t'think of it, it has happened...when Judd came around. When he had his real little brother, all he was worried about was him...I know he loves me, I ain't doubting it...what i'm sayin' is...its not gonna be just Bo an' Luke no more..."

Bo replied, shaking his head a little, remembering the time Judd had come around...how Luke, when he had staggered back in to the hospital room after getting thrown from the roof of the car, had asked what happened then asked about Judd...not if Bo was ok...or if Bo needed to see a Doc..or if he had got hurt...now that he thought about it, he didn't even know if Luke knew about the road rash he had suffered down his back...he had gone to get it treated on his own.

Cooter shook his head again. "Well how do you know it won't be better? Heck, you an' Luke have been big brother's before to Andy...youre big brother figures to the whole basketball team...how do you know this ain't gonna be a chance for both of ya t really make a difference in this little guy's life?"

He had to admit though, though not saying it out loud, that the idea of Luke becoming an instant father was overwhelming just to hear. Luke was smart...and a hard worker...everyone knew that...but he was also a ladies' man... and on the go...how could he ever bring himself to settle down...and if he did, how could he be truly happy?

"It ain't us this time Cooter...it's him. With Andy, it was down t'both of us t'be big brothers...t'be the role models but now this kid'll legally be Luke's reponsibility..Luke's to bring up...Luke's to teach...and he'll want to do it, he'll want to be that responsible...he's not gonna wanna go out to the Boar's Nest no more, he's not gonna want t'race an' skinny dip and chase girls no more...and I don't wanna sit at home an' look after a kid neither..."

Bo replied with a small shake of his head. He hadn't even been comfortable with Andy, anyone could have seen that when they looked at the three of them. Sure he liked the kid once he learnt to behave, sure he liked to talk to him and tease a little... but it had been Luke that had really taken a shine to him.

"Course I knew he'd want his own family...me, Uncle Jesse an' Daisy saw that in him long before he did...but I...I didn't expect him t'have a kid first ya know? I thought he'd be the first of us t'fall in love an' settle down with a girl...t'have someone special...and it'd happen gradually...so it wouldn't be just...him bein here one minute an' the next just...leaving me on my own completly...he ain't done that since he went t'Nam.."

Bo said softly, realizing he probably sounded really selfish...but if he was honest with himself the reason he wanted Luke beside him was because he was afraid to be without him. They always did things as a team and sure, as he said to Cooter, he could see a future where eventually Luke would have a family of his own to concentrate on...the only thing was, building a relationship took time...it gave the family...gave Bo time to adjust to the change. Bringing in a child who needed Luke's attention completly...Bo was being forced to accept it...and that wasn't something he liked feeling.

"Course I ain't spoke t'him about it Cooter...he's happier than he's been in a long time..I might be feelin selfish right now but I ain't about t'ruin it fer him...I want him t'be happy..."

Cooter sighed nodding his head a little. "Well...it does sound selfish but...it sounds like the voice of soemone who cares a lot about his family...about the relationship he has with his cousin. Maybe you ain't wrong Bo...maybe Luke ain't thinkin'...shoot, wouldn't be the first time a Duke thought with his heart instead of his head...even Luke."

Bo nodded along with him, swallowing down some more of the watered-down beer and putting the empty glass on the bar.

"I know...s'why I ain't sayin' anything. You realize how long its been since Luke did anythin' on impulse? Not because its the right thing t'do or he planned for it t'happen...but t'just do it because he felt like he wanted to..."

"He used to...when we were kids...before he went t'Nam..."

Bo replied wistfully, tracing patterns on the dirty bartop in front of him, thinking about how much Nam had changed his cousin, and once more feeling the hate for the place and the people who forced his cousin there to grow up quicker than he should have done. Sighing, he shook his head and sat up straighter.

"Sorry Coot...last thing you wanna do t'night is listen t'my ramblin's...whatcha wanna do?"

Jesse bit his lip a little, having sensed that there was something the matter with Bo's attitude towards what Luke wanted to happen, but knowing that if there was one thing Bo wasn't, it was angry. He knew when Bo was angry or getting angry and if Luke was thinking about it, he'd know that Bo wasn't that at all too.

"Son, you know Bo ain't angry..."

Jesse didn't even flinch at the strong outburst, knowing that Luke was confused not only by Bo's actions but also probably by the feelings he was suddenly having for a little boy he had only just met. One thing Jesse knew Luke hated was feeling confused and it caused him sometimes to not think as rationally as he should.

For a moment he said nothing, trying to understand what Bo might be feeling before asking gently.

"Did you ever consider that...maybe the reason Bo won't talk about it...is because he wants you to be happy?"

Jesse chuckled a little, surprised that it was taking Luke this long to figure out what Bo was thinking. Usually the two boys were so in tune with each other that they could see what the other was thinking before they'd actually thought of it.

"It would make sense if you'd think about how Bo feels...he's been the youngest in the family since before he can remember...he's always been at yer side through everything...and now suddenly this other person is gonna come along...and he knows none of that is gonna be the same...if he's thinking selfishly...he's not gonna tell you because he wants you to be happy, and he figures this is just something he's gonna have to work through..."

Jesse explained patiently, not looking at Luke as he said it, looking out over the old farm instead.