The Drive-thru Barber Shop/Oil Change and Lube Stop/ Quicky Mart/ Bar and Grill

Julieduke

Who do you like in this story?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you like in this story?

Elly: pleased to see ya Heather. What ought I know about you?

"I don't know. I'm seven and my daddy really likes my mommy but my mommy's really scared my daddy doesn't love her and only wants to be with her because of me. That's why she ran in the first place." Heather says. At Elly's confused look Cooter explains what happened.

"Lizzy dated Jeb for two years and then she got pregnant. When she realized it she fled to Tennessee to stay with our cousin Earl. That was seven years ago. Lizzy works for the FBI up there but Jeb's trying to convince her to move back here." Cooter says.

So Lizzy and Jeb leave and get to the restaurant. As they finish supper Jeb leads her outside after they pay the bill. "So we have two choices, I could take you back to your dad's place and say goodnight like I know I should or I can take you down to that special place by the river and take a couple hours to say goodnight." Jeb says leaning against his motorbike.

"I should say take me home because part of me wants to be with Heather but the majority of me knows that she'll be fine and we need to spend sometime together." Lizzy says.

So the two of them headed out to the river.

It was about four am when Jeb dropped Lizzy off on her front porch and gave her a sweet good night/good morning kiss. Lizzy grinned and went inside only to find Cooter drinking a cup of coffee sitting in the living room with Baxter the Springer Spaniel laying at his feet.

"Morning Liz." Cooter says.

"Morning." Lizzy answers yawning. "And the rooster crows in an hour so don't yell at me."

"Hadn't planned on it. You little girl are sleepy. You have what four hours before your daughter gets up?" Cooter asks.

"If I'm lucky. I think my bed is calling my name." Lizzy yawns again.

"I'll keep her busy but I can only promise five hours. Then I have to be at the garage." Cooter says.

"Take her with you."

"I'm not watching a seven year old in my garage. Five hours that's it." Cooter says and Lizzy trudges off to bed.

Cooter: *sighs as he wrapps an arm around her.* Well, since I reckon you ain't going to sleep now. She's here, but she's asleep. Now what do you say that I get you a glass of milk and then you can sleep in my chair?

"No just give it a bit. It's always been like this with Mommy. Especially when she's working one of those big cases. Uncle Earl will get really...disappointed, I guess, at the fact that she's never home. I know I'm just a little kid but I get it. Mommy works hard as an FBI to give me stuff she didn't have when she was little. I wish she was home more and maybe with Daddy around she will be but I see my mommy enough that I'm not mad at her for working so hard just sometimes I wish she was home more often." Heather says snuggling into the warmth of Cooter's body and slowly drifting off. "Do you think she'll take me to the zoo today?"

Cooter: We'll see* Cooter secretly knows all that her mama is going through and so he doesn't offer too much to say* Well . . .I guess a bit of sleep woldn't hurt me *Cooter himself slips off to sleep in his chair with Heather in his arms*

Lizzy comes into the room a few hours later freshly showered and dressed. She snaps a quick picture before waking them both up. "I thought you said you had to be at the garage a half an hour ago." Lizzy says. Cooter looks at the time and curses. "Little ears."

"Sorry. If you've got time, she wants to go to the zoo today. Maybe you and Jeb can take her." Cooter says before heading off.

"Yeah maybe." Lizzy mutters to herself before waking Heather.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.