georiga trip

dukefan1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some Georgia shots I took in 07'

College (opening shot General Jumps Monaco) looks exactly the same & yes is a beautiful as it is in this picture

72d36e0f.jpg

Orphanage

def5c3e6.jpg

1874ca2a.jpg

ok right to the right of this shot is where the General landed after jumping the flatbed trailer & this (now store) is the location for Mary Kays baby shooting:

413c227b.jpg

Thanks for posting these TomBo. It really hurts to think that the farmhouse might fall down....at least it looks like it might. Hopefully the foundation, floor joists and wall studs are still solid and there's no danger of them collapsing. In my opinion it should be placed on the National Registry of Historic Landmarks. I know I'm biased because I love Dukes so much but if you look at some of the obscure places that are on that Registry, they pale in comparison to the significance of this house on our culture.

Maybe one of you folks with computer skills (of which I have next to none) could research what it takes to get on that list. This building is certainly worth consideration.

I went to dukesfest 08 and didnt have time to look at all of the filming locations well just got to drive through conyers. Since gas alot cheaper I talked to my wife and my cousin and I are gonna drive down here in a month or two. Really excited, just wanted to share the news.

When you are in the town square go to "A Touch of Country" It is a store right in the square. They have a small tribute in the rear of the store that includes newspaper clippings of events that took place there & also when the show was being filmed. They may have a map there 4 U to use to locate locations.

Roger from what I understand it is on a registry so it cannot be knocked down. I believe it was built in Cival war era.

to answer the other "?" Yes it is still standing.

Thanks TomBo. I feel a little better.

However, saying it can't be torn down isn't as good as saying that someone is responsible to insure that it won't fall down on it's own. I would feel better if I knew someone is responsible for it's upkeeping.

Thanks TomBo. I feel a little better.

However, saying it can't be torn down isn't as good as saying that someone is responsible to insure that it won't fall down on it's own. I would feel better if I knew someone is responsible for it's upkeeping.

The farmhouse (in case you have not been there) is actually on someones front lawn believe it or not. The house "behind" & to the left of it is awesome and contains another landmark on it. I believe also that the house was just sold not to long ago. The previous owner knew what it was and allowed people to take pix and even some to enter it. I dunno if the house sold or if so, if the new owner is as tollerant?

• 1 year later...

My grandfather is the proud owner of Uncle Jesse's house in Loganville, Ga. Its is about five miles from the city of Loganville. The owner before him tore down some of the original building and left only the older log construction of it and didn't replace any of the tin roof. it is decaying rapidly, he has owned the land since april 2006. Lately he has cleared away some of the shrubs around the building to make it more presentable. It is no longer safe to enter the building due to the decay. He says it is ok to come visit but be respectful and make sure not to disturb the building. He has a lot of fun fact about it and enjoys talking to anyone.

My grandfather is the proud owner of Uncle Jesse's house in Loganville, Ga. Its is about five miles from the city of Loganville. The owner before him tore down some of the original building and left only the older log construction of it and didn't replace any of the tin roof. it is decaying rapidly, he has owned the land since april 2006. Lately he has cleared away some of the shrubs around the building to make it more presentable. It is no longer safe to enter the building due to the decay. He says it is ok to come visit but be respectful and make sure not to disturb the building. He has a lot of fun fact about it and enjoys talking to anyone.

Nash,

how cool is that!

Guess I was there b4 he bought it or when he was about to buy it because that what we were told.

That it was being sold back then. Cool to see he is aware & wants to make it presentable Very Cool indeed! Cannot wait to get back down there this hear or next again & have a shot of it with my own Lee in front of the fence!

Welcome to the HazzardNet Nash.

Since I'm such a fan of Uncle Jesse, you're an instant celebrity to me.

I sure hope you stay around here for awhile because I'd sure like it if you could ask your grandfather some questions. I'll try not to overwelm you so I'll only ask a couple to start out.

1) I know you said your grandfather hasn't owned the land long but was he nearby when they filmed the five episodes there?

2) Did the fact that it was the Duke farm give him incentive to buy it or didn't that matter to him?

3) Are you or other family members big fans of the show?

4) I'll send you a "Private Message" to see if there's anyway I could get a souvenier from the farm. I know you're new to the website. Do you know how the PM thing works?

1. yes he did live nearby but to be honest i don't think he had even heard of it, until its later years, his family has live off Five Forks Trikum in Snellville, GA since before the civil war he just sold the land he had lived on since he was a little kid

2. He didn't buy the land because it had the house on it he really didn't know until after he had bought it

3. We have gotten a lot more into the Dukes of Hazzard but before then we weren't really, he now has a couple paintings of the house tons of picture and we even got him a little 01 remote control car that does the horn

4. i would have to talk to him about that but if it ever falls down it would be a definitally but hopefully that wont happen

• 4 weeks later...
Guest SleepysRose

Nash has he looked into getting a Restoration program to getting some assistance in restoring that house to what it was on the show? The reason I ask is because if I am right that house is historic if it is as old as what I have heard. And because of that restoring a historic house to it's original condition should qualify for some kind of Restoration program assistance to help him restore that house. I just thought it might make the place alot safer for us fellow fans to come and visit it and such as well as give your family a way and source of income for generations to come in the future by having the house restored. I hope my idea helps because I would really like to see that place restored for future generations and today's to share and pass on in the years to come.

Does everyone agree with me on that idea?

Guest SleepysRose

Thanks Roger. I am very active in preserving the Historic part of town where I live as it is. So that was what made me think of that. Plus I was one of the people who had mentioned to pass the word onto those trying to save the Duke farm but was never really sure if anyone had gotten the message until I read what was posted. Thank God something I suggested helped.

I take great pride in historic homes because of the fact quite a few of the homes that are historic are homes that belonged to my own family and still in the family. The two story farm house in Batesville, AR my 2nd Cousin lives in with her family (where she grew up) was built right after the Civil War by Capt. Young Milton Mack Sr. my 2nd Great Grandpa right after he came back from surrendering at Jacksonport, AR. Plus the house right across from that as well where my 2nd Cousin's mother and her husband lives now since her mom passed away. So it's because of that I got interested in trying to help preserve homes that are historic as well as areas of town. So I just hope what I said helps his dad out. I really do.

I know how you feel about appreciating local history.

Like Uncle Jesse, I have a very deep sense of pride in my land. There are no historic homes on it but there is a foundation remaining from the original settlers. I often go there and think about what life was like for them.

The first family to own my land had it for 140 years and the second family had it for 40. I bought it when I was 19 and have owned it for 32 years so we're only the third family to ever live here. There's not a lot of landowners in western Pennsylvania that can say that.

I have learned a lot about the local settlers who first made the sacrifice to create this new nation and since I live a life of modern luxury compared to what they went through, I can't really relate to how rough they had it. What I can relate to is how much I love the same land they treasured so much.

That's one of the reasons I love the Dukes so much, especially Jesse. He had such a deep love for his farm. I'm exactly lke him. The only thing in life I put about my home is God and family.

Guest SleepysRose

Roger I agree with you whole heartedly. It was the show that taught me about the responsibilities of taking care of a farm when I was a little girl. I remember always wanting to help my Uncle Blythe go out on his horse with him and heard the cows as well as helping him on his tractor when I was little. It was because of this and the fact that it was the show that taught me this my Uncle Blythe and Aunt Ditty gave me a nick name that only they called me which was Catherine's character's name. The other reason they called me that was because of how they said I look so much like her and my family says I still do. ~rolling my eyes~ I honestly don't see it but okay.

One house I miss dearly is the home my Aunt Ditty and Uncle Blythe both lived in when I was growing up. I really wished that I had been able to buy her house when it was sold in order to keep it in the family. SOOO many memories in that house for me since I was a baby as well as the other two on the Family farm (which my Aunt and Uncle always called "The Real Life Duke Farm).

Kind of neat to find out you are in W PA Roger. My dad's side comes from the East part of the state from Lehigh, Northampton and Berks county, PA. They moved westward to where you are and then to OH, IL, MI, IN and further west to WA and CA. My relatives are in reading, PA and Philadelphia. And yes you are right you rarely find farms in that part of the state as my dad and grandparents have told me from them living in that area when my dad was a kid and moving around because of Grandpa's job. So glad to hear where you are at Roger.

I know how you feel about appreciating local history.

Like Uncle Jesse, I have a very deep sense of pride in my land. There are no historic homes on it but there is a foundation remaining from the original settlers. I often go there and think about what life was like for them.

The first family to own my land had it for 140 years and the second family had it for 40. I bought it when I was 19 and have owned it for 32 years so we're only the third family to ever live here. There's not a lot of landowners in western Pennsylvania that can say that.

I have learned a lot about the local settlers who first made the sacrifice to create this new nation and since I live a life of modern luxury compared to what they went through, I can't really relate to how rough they had it. What I can relate to is how much I love the same land they treasured so much.

That's one of the reasons I love the Dukes so much, especially Jesse. He had such a deep love for his farm. I'm exactly lke him. The only thing in life I put about my home is God and family.

• 3 weeks later...

I was over at my grandfathers yesterday and he had gotten some metal roofing to put on the fallen in part of the roof on the back side of the house and beyond the restoration of it i think it is far beyond repair, we have had people come and talk about it and saying they would help and everything but nothing has come from that. My grandfather has asked my cousin who is a carpenter and he said it would basically need to be COMPLETELY restored. As in the fact of it being an older house, yes it is but my grandfathers house which he grew up in was as old if not older was just destroyed by the county of Gwinnett and it was on historical property and it wasn't even in bad shape, he even offered to by it back so i don't know it sound good but who knows

we are trying to keep it up as long as possible but when he bought the propety it was already in the shape it is now if not worse because of the vegetation that was taking over it, we cleared all that we can and are trying to keep it from falling down as long as we can

Considering how popular the Dukes of Hazzard was (and still is) I'm kinda surprised there's not any Dukes organizations in northern Georgia. After all, that's where it all began, not to mention how much the show celebrates southern culture. You'd think a Dukes club would be leading the charge to help.

Would you mind if I got involved and tried to get ahold of some of the local politicians down there? I doubt if I can do any good but I sure don't want to sit here and do nothing.

I think I'll start another thread.......let's see what we can get started.