To Keep On Keepin' On

DaisyMaeDuke

"Why dont you help us to?! Instead of keeping all this locked inside like you usually do...you cant keep doing this Luke, can't you see what your doing?! Your talking about committing suicide for pete's sake...how would that make Uncle Jesse feel huh?"

Bo said desperatly, trying to say anything that would knock Luke out of the suicidal mind frame and back into a more reasonable one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bo...I...I just...can't....take it anymore..." blurted Luke between sobs. "I...I'm so...so...lost...I...I..."

He couldn't finish his sentence. Instead he clung shakily to Bo, his brother, and cried into his shoulder, the guilt for feeling the way he was and the shame at his own weakness consuming him, not knowing which way to turn anymore.

"M'sorry...m'so...so...sorry," murmured Luke against the yellow shirt, damp with teardrops.

Bo sighed softly as finally he started to feel Luke coming round, hoping that he could sort this out with Luke so finally he could stop worrying so much and focus on what needed to be focused on. Not that he didn't mind helping Luke, it wasn't very often that he got to. Usually, it was the other way around. Luke would help the cousins and keep everything that was bothering him to himself until he could find a solution to it that wouldn't interrupt the lives or problems of those around him. This time though, that plan had proved to come to a potential disasterous consequence.

"You ain't got nothin' to be sorry for Luke...we're all takin' this hard cousin...but like I keep saying, we need to pull through this together...please talk to me, just tell me what's goin through that head of yers..."

"Failed?" Bo interrupted quickly with a shake of his head. "Failed, Luke how have you failed?"

He could understand his cousins desire and instinct to protect the family unit and everything...but sometimes he thought Luke took that feeling just a little too far and this was going to be, he could see eaisly now, one of those times.

Bo swallowed hard as things started to become a little clearer to him. All the cousins had been taking the news about their Uncle hard, but of all of them it was becoming clearer and clearer that Luke was taking it the hardest. How on earth that could be, Bo didn't yet understand but he now was making it his mission to find out. He would sit with Luke for days up here if it meant getting this information out of him and putting him back in a more positve frame of mind.

"Luke...Uncle Jesse...there's nothing you can or could have done to prevent this..."

Bo shook his head determindly.

"No, either you tell me what's going on properly or your coming home with me and i'll get the doc t'come out and see you too. You are NOT leaving the family like this, you are not going to do this to Uncle Jesse. I am not letting you turn yourself into a coward by taking the easy way out!"

Bo could feel his frustration and anger at his cousin growing for being like this now, there was only so much patience Bo Duke had, only so many times he could repeat the same damn thing over and over again. He didn't know why Luke was being like this but if hog tying him and dragging his butt all the way home was the only way to get him there he would do it.

"Lukas please...your scaring Daisy..."

"You would never have got Jesse to let you do something he wanted t'do...we get our stubborness from someplace Luke and you know as well as I do its from him...And besides you heard the doc's...if it didn't happen then it would have happened sometime else soon. It's just that Uncle Jesse ain't a young man no more cousin...he can't be here all out lives..."

Bo swallowed softly, hoping that the words he was saying were getting through to Luke because although they were reassuring they hurt Bo to say. Just thinking about that day was painful...they had been out all three of them ploughing the back fourties as usual...cept that day was anything but usual...that day Uncle Jesse had fallen...and hadn't gotten back up again. He had suffered a heart attack and now was in hospital as weak as could be...