We've All Got To Grow Up Sometime

runningwild

Hazzard County has seen it's share of wild and crazy kids coming up and giving the whole county a run for it's money. These were the best kids anyone could ask for, and so polite, but they were also a memorable addition to the Hazzard family. The most notorious of the wild youngins would have the be the Duke family. They've been around for as long as anyone can remember. If you ask old Rosco, he's tell you that Jesse Duke was the finest of all the Dukes that had the pleasure of residing in Hazzard County. Unfortunately, now Hazzard no longer has the pleasure of seeing Mr. Duke considering that he passed on six years before now.

Mostly, now the only Dukes that's presence is still felt in Hazzard was that of Beauregard and Lucas Duke; better known as Bo and Luke. Boy, times have changed for these two. Both boys had grown into respectable men. Now, don't think that they have completely given up on their days of running wild because these two have been known to still stir up a ruckus, if it calls for it.

Daisy hadn't trailed too far behind the boys because she too had took her life in so many different exciting and adventurous directions. Eventually, she too had to let her life slow down to a livable pace. Yet, she was still just as pretty as ever.

Who knows what happened to these kids over the years, but Hazzard is still talking about the Duke's traveling to Hollywood three years ago. It was just such a big deal for a little town. Cooter popped into town every now and then, and the rest of Hazzard lived under Rosco's rule.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The car ride from the airport was a killer for Cassie because she had never like riding in cars for too long. Plane rides gave her the occasional jet lag, but were always her choice of travel. "Are we there yet?" Cassie teased Enos and grinned.

"Now, don't start that," he laughed. "I don't know how I got talked into driving anyway. You never drive, Cassie."

Cassie's face held a humored look of offense, "Hey! I drove us to the expo, when I wanted to see the bridal show." The last part of her sentence lost it's spark and was fast. "Fine, I'll drive us back to the airport."

Enos smiled, "Ah, Honey you ain't got to drive us anywhere. I was just giving you a hard time."

"I know. So, can you believe that it's been almost ten years since we've stepped foot in Hazzard?" Cassie brushed a piece of hair from her face almost nostalgically.

He just shook his head, "No, I can't believe it at all. It's been too long."

"Well all I can say is yay vacation!"

They both laughed for a few moments and then just fell silent for the remainder of the ride, which was only about five minutes. Pulling straight into town, they saw Rosco setting up a banner for his retirement party as County Commissioner. Now, Rosco didn't have that many friends, but he did have the Dukes, Cletus, Enos, Cassie, and a few other people in town. Everyone felt compelled to attend his retirement and to see who the new County Commissioner was going to be.

Enos parked the car near the courthouse and got out. He stretched and took a look around; it was good old Hazzard. Losing himself for a moment, he quickly went around the front of the car to open the door for Cassie, who was fumbling through her purse for some lipstick.

"Thanks Enos," Cassie left her pocketbook in the floorboard and got out.

He took her hand and pulled her across the street over towards Rosco. As they approached Enos spoke, "Hey Rosco!"

Rosco grumbled something to himself as the struggled to get the banner stapled down. "This darn thing.." Suddenly, he heard Enos' voice and turned around.

"Enos! You're here!" Looking at his friend, then looking over at Cassie, "You brought the little Morgan girl too."

Enos just laughed, "Yeah, we decided there wasn't a reason in the world for us to miss your big party."

"Yeah Rosco, what's a party without old Enos here," she nudged him with a grin.

Rosco shook his head, "Shame shame shame, now I've seen some pictures in magazines in Atlanta of your two frolicking around town."

Enos defended himself, "The pictures are of Cassie, and I just happen to be there."

"Never you mind," Rosco patted him on the shoulder. "Them people in California are evil."

Cassie's eyes widened, "Not all of them."

Rosco chuckled to himself, "Well most of them. It only helps that you two were born in Hazzard that you ain't went corrupt."

Enos and Cassie exchanged a glance, "So, what time does this little shindig start tomorrow?" Enos looked back up at Rosco.

"It'll be at six o'clock right here. I've got some music and everything," Rosco beamed. He seemed so excited about his party and having all his friends there. Truthfully, Rosco had reached the point where it wouldn't be long until he'd leave Hazzard for good.

"Well we're excited," Cassie added, as she flashed a smile at Rosco.

"Now, you don't cause any trouble Missy," Rosco wagged his finger at her.

Cassie rolled her eyes, "Rosco I've been fine for about fifteen years now. I think you better worry about them Dukes instead of me."

At that moment, another car had entered town. However, there was something familiar about the way the car headed into town. The speed was too fast for entering town and the driving a little too crooked.

"Oh Lord," Cassie muttered.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure enough, as the car pulled up more slowly than when it had entered into Hazzard, out stepped Bo Duke. Tall as ever and his blonde hair looking as always like he had crawled out of a hedge backwards, he grinned as he looked around Hazzard Square. He still lived there to a degree, that's where his home was when he wasn't touring with the NASCAR circuit...and that was where his family now lived.

The Duke farm had been expanded by him and Luke once Bo found the one he would finally settle down with, so now it could accomodate both Bo's family and Luke's. Hurrying round to the passenger side door, Bo leaned over and opened it, letting his wife out. Her long blonde hair flowed down her back, the wind catching it just a little to make it sway in the breeze as she turned with a smile and looked up at her husband, shaking her head.

"You just can't resist making an entrance can you..."

Bo shook his head with the old schoolboy grin.

"Nope..."

Sammy could only laugh, too used by now to Bo's antics to reprimand him. She trusted Bo with her life behind the wheel of a car, he was a NASCAR driver for pete's sake...if she didn't trust him then she would spend the best part of her life worrying about him. Leaning up she planted a soft kiss on his lips that he instantly started returning. Only to be broken by...

"EWWWW!! Do you two gotta do dat out here too in fwont of evwybody?!"

Bo chuckled and looked down to his side where his son stood - little 5 year old TJ Duke (The T and the J standing for Tyler-Jesse) and he was just the spitting image of his father and his behaviour wasn't too far off either. Although, with Uncle Luke's calming influence around and his ability to be able to teach the head strong little boy the things his father didn't have the patience to schooling wise, he was also clever and able to hold his temper much better than Bo ever did when he was a child....however that also meant that his own son could come up with some interesting points sometimes.

"I can't help it son, I love yer mommy so I have to show her how much..."

"Not out here where my fwiends can see! Yer so embarassing!" TJ whined, folding his arms which only made Sammy and Bo chuckle all the more.

"If we's so embarrasing maybe we shouldn't go get ice cream then..." Bo countered with a raised eyebrow, to which TJ squirmed and whined.

"Awww Daddddd...."

Bo chuckled and swung him up into his arms, ruffling his hair as the small family headed over to where Cassie and Rosco were standing.

Sammy jumped a mile as Luke snuk up behind her and grabbed her, shrieking a little before hearing him speak. Scowling she turned round with her hands on her hips.

Bo bit his lip, trying to supress his giggles (unlike Ty who - if Bo hadn't have been holding him - would have been rolling on the sidewalk with laughter) because otherwise he knew he would be the next one to get whatever wrath Sammy was thinking of inflicting upon his older cousin....even if it would be just her uncommonly sharp tongue.

"Lukas Kevin Duke, I oughta slap you silly for that! And as for my taste in men, the only little boy I see round here is you and it's bad enough having you as a brother, having you as a husband would be like inflicting torture on myself."

Bo grinned as she said that, watching his wife - who was way shorter than Luke but could still reduce a man twice her height to his knees if it was neccessary.

Luke grinned, loving to get Sammy ralled up. They teased and fought like any brother and sister, but truth be told, Luke always had a lot of respect and love for her. Any woman that could keep Bo grounded like she could deserved it.

"You know Sammy...for such a little woman you sure got a big mouth on ya...t' match Bo's big head I suppose," he added playfully.

In truth, he envied Bo and Sammy. He supposed he should have been grateful, having had his beautiful wife Sara for as long as he did, but it wasn't long enough... not nearly long enough.

"Daddy!!!! Wait for me!!!!" yelled a blue eyed 6 year old running towards them, her long dark curls flowing behind her back. "Look what I brung ya!!!!" Shereached in a pocket and held up a frog, who in turn croaked his annoyance.

"Abigail Lavinia Duke... how many times have I told ya not t' be takin' them wild things an' puttin em in yer pockets?!"

"But Mr. Slithers wanted a friend..." she protested, pulling a garter snake from her other pocket.

Sammy couldn't help but fold her arms and giggle as Luke and TJ came and stood beside her, Bo putting his arm around her shoulders and kissing the top of her head gently. As well as Luke could control their son, and teach him the things that Bo either couldn't or didn't have the patience to....controlling his own daughter was harder and was something Sammy usually excelled in being the only female in the house. The Dukes weren't a parenting couple, they were really a parenting team, helping raise the next generation of Dukes together....it was amazing though how TJ had turned out like both boys...yet Abi it looked like seemed to be leaning more towards being like Bo. It wasn't too much surprise that TJ was turning out more like Luke though....seeing as Bo had tro spend a lot of time on the track and hardly got to see his son...not that TJ minded...he had the right to brag to people about his famous Daddy.

It wasn't long however before TJ escaped his fathers hold and quickly slid down to the ground, hurrying over to Abi.

"Cool! Where'd you find dem?!"

Only a year younger than Abi, TJ still acted like he were her age. They had been firm friends from the very beginning...and it was great fun to watch them play....it reminded the boys of the days when they could just simply do that. Bo however, knew also how things could get out of hand...and how much trouble one frog could cause at a celebration.

"Abi, TJ....the only thing I think you should be doin' is puttin them two critters back where they belong...it aint fair t'take em away from their homes you know that...how'd you like it if someone came and took you two away from yer home hmmm?"

Abi shot Bo a glare. "It's a vacation for 'em Unca Bo!" she snapped before turning to Ty, explaining how she had found Mr. Slithers out on the farm by the creek and that Hopper, as she called him, was waiting for her over by the pavilion in Hazzard square. She then went on to explain in a most learned way about frog habitats and what they ate. She might have had Bo's attitude, but she got her smarts from her daddy.

"Abi- you put 'em down right now," demanded Luke hating to be firm with his daughter, his pride andjoy, the only piece of Sara he had left.

Sammy shook her head as Abi's only response to that direct order was to carry on talking to TJ about frogs and snakes...thankfully the snake didn't seem to care about being handled and just dangled contentedly from her little hand, soon curling up and winding itself around her arm like a tree branch while TJ looked on interestedly.

Moving forward, she patted Luke's shoulder before kneeling down on one knee in front of Abi.

"Abi...don't you ignore me now or when we go for Ice cream you'll be heading home and to bed..."

"Aw Auntie...." she began.

Luke just stood back with a sigh letting Sammy work her magic. It was times like these he felt every bit the single parent he was...and like a fish out of water when it came to raising a girl... much less a headstrong one like Abi.

"Look how pretty they are....seee?!" She held the snake up to Sammy's face. "All green...an' gold...an look...he's huggin' me!"

Sammy nodded, unphased by the snake dangling in her face, gently making her lower her arm so as not to startle the snake into biting.

"I know Abi, but just because its pretty don't mean that you should pick it up and keep it...somethings are just better left where everyone can enjoy them...if you take it and keep it for yourself...don't you think that's just being selfish? Other little girls and boys can't see them...they have to miss out just because you wanted to keep it when it aint rightfully yours...it belongs to god..."

"True...but how you can be happy knowing your being selfish and not letting other children and adults be happy seeing these beautiful creatures out in the wild where they belong? God wants all his children to be happy doesn't he...I'd be sad knowing you were keeping these animals away from everyone...thinking about all the other little children who can't see the beauty of these creatures as you do..."

Sammy countered back with ease, knowing the kind of buttons to push with Abi to use her mind to think outside the box.

Sammy went with Abi with a nod, helping her to release the animals - one to make sure she did and two to make sure she didn't pick up any other wild critters and decide to take them home...next time she picked up a snake she might not be so lucky...something she would explain later tonight...right now there was too much excitement going on for them to really concetrate on something serious like that.

Bo chuckled though what he was about to say, he knew was serious.

"Its cause you don't like t'dicipline her Luke...the most you'll ever do is order her around and all she does back is rebel and do what she wants....all Sammy does is make her think...its how Uncle Jesse and Aunt Lavinia used t'diffuse yer temper..."

Luke sighed. "I feel so bad for her...left with me...I dunno what the heck I'm doin'..." he admitted softly. Luke never talked about raising her by himself. It reminded him too much of the tragedy that happened with Sara. He wasn't one to complain about the hands he was dealt. He took the cards God dealt him, and made the most of them. It was the way he played the game of life. Still, sometimes he felt like he was playing a losing game.

Bo nodded, putting a hand on his shoulder softly.

"I know...but she's also lucky to have a daddy like you who was still willing to have her after what happened...some dad's would run scared and just leave them with the next avaliable person...you love her and that's all she'll ever really need...to know her daddy loves her...and a bit of dicipline here and there...you let her get away with all this she'll walk all over you..."

He said softly, with a gentle squeeze to the shoulder.

Luke nodded. "Yeah- you're right." He straightened up quickly catching Abi up throwing her in the air. "No more frogs missy you got that?!"

Abi shrieked with delight as he tossed her. "More Daddy more!!!"

Luke gave a laugh swing his harem-scarem daughter up onto his shoulders, holding her legs as they headed towards Rosco once again.

Abi grinned happily, holding onto her Daddy's curls.