The Darlings Are Coming (Uncle Jesse on Andy Griffith)

TXZ045

I bought a DVD containing 6 or so episodes of The Andy Griffith Show recently. Subtitled The Best of Barney 1924 - 2006 or something like that I do believe. Was pleasantly surprised when a character appeared in the episode called The Darlings Are Coming turning out to be none other than Denver Pyle. Man, this is a funny funny episode of Andy Griffith and Denver really helps make it so damn funny. I would like to highly advise anyone and everyone who is a fan of Denver Pyle / Uncle Jesse please do check out this episode, you won't regret it. He was quite abit younger of course but you can't mistake'em his face/voice and he plays a old moonshiner of course.

I'm sure many of the members of this forum have possibly already seen it. But thought I would tell the newcomers or just those who didn't know about it to please take the time to locate it and watch it.

Would love to hear some feedback on this topic.

"More Power To Ya!"

• 4 years later...

I thought I'd revive this thread after I saw the sad news that Andy Griffith had died earlier. I posted links to the episodes of 'The Andy Griffith Show' with Jimmie some time ago, but I didn't get around looking out the ones with Denver. He starred in six episodes between 1963 and 1966, including the one that TXZ045 has already mentioned. He played Briscoe Darling, head of the Darling family (the boys were played by The Dillards) who mainly lived up in the mountains. They were like a cross between The Beverly Hillbillies (which ran around the same time) and the Beaudrys. NB. All but the last one are black and white.

The Andy Griffith Show (S3E25) - The Darlings Are Coming

The Andy Griffith Show (S3E31) - Mountain Wedding

The Andy Griffith Show (S4E25) - Divorce, Mountain Style (Not currently on YouTube)

The Andy Griffith Show (S7E06) - The Darling Fortune (Not currently on YouTube)

Denver looks very different without his beard - here he is in 'Briscoe Declares for Aunt Bee':

DenverBriscoe1.jpg

Even in color I'm not sure I'd immediately recognize him - well not until he started speaking anyway :).

DenverBriscoe2.jpg

• 1 month later...

We also lost Doug Dillard who played one of the Darlings. this year.He had been involved with a group called Mayberry Values that did presentations to church and comunity groups.

Loved the Dillards music, especially when they were pure bluegrass. Some of the later stuff,not so much. Although they did a fine version of the Beatles "I've Just Seen A Face" on their 4th album Wheatstraw Suite. And their fifth album Copperfields had some good selections too,especially a lovely,haunting acoustic instrumental "Sundown."And one called "West Montana Hannah"-wonder if Miley Cyrus had heard that one and got the idea for her character?

Also he did great work with former Byrd Gene Clark in the Dillard and Clark Expedition.

He will be missed.