Independence Day

Just wanted to wish a big ol' Happy Birthday to the United States of America! *Raises a proud US flag then Takes out colonial military instrument (Fife) and starts playing Star Spangled Banner* 8-)

Nice playing, CG. Have you seen the Hazzardnet home page yet... there's an interactive fireworks display, Thank you -:rootbeer: Mufn, MaryAnne and Brian for that.

Hey Country Girl, It was nice of you to start this thread. Here's an amazing July Fourth coincidence for my fellow Hazzardites. (One of them gives away an answer on the trivia post). I saw two episodes today..."Lawman of the Year" and "Coy Meets Girl" and I could hardly believe my ears....They both mention the Fourth of July!!! What's the chances of that???!!! Amazing things like that can only happen in Hazzard County. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

Thanks Daney!

No I haven't seen the front page yet, but I am gonna go look now. The fireworks here kinda got rained out and we had a tornado warning, so I haven't been able to see any yet.

For those of you wondering what a fife is, it's an instrumetn used in both the british and american armies during the American Revolution. It was also used in many wars before that as well as the war of 1812 all the way up to the Civil War. It was how the Armies would give their commands. Different songs meant different things. It told you when you could eat, when to get up, when to go to sleep, lights out, as well as to get ready for battle and retreat. Drums were used more than the fifes, but not by much. It's easier to hear the Fife and the Drum than to hear someone shouting in the midst of gunfire and cannon fire (trust me, i ain't kiddin' ya!). A fife and drum would be placed every quarter mile or so along the ranks.

Here's a few odd facts for y'all being's its the American Independence Day.

Taps wasn't always a funeral song. Orianally taps meant the drum beat given to wake the soldiers.

Most people back in the day had no idea how to read sheet music. It was far too expensive to produce. Music books such as hymnals wouldn't have the notes in it, just the words. The only person who would have the sheet music, if lucky, would have been the organist. For instance that meant that Hymn Number 38 could be done to the music of.... let's say the old song Chester.

The song Dixie wasn''t written by a southerner at all! Daniel Emmit was a northerner from OHIO, who wrote the song not too long before the civil war.

Both sides played Dixie during the Civil War, as well as Battle Hymn of the republic.

During Both the American Revolutionary war and the DCivil war, many songs had alternate versions and extra verses to reflect the times.

IT is reported by many that Cornwallis's army played the "King Will Have His Own Again" (also known as the popuilar song, "World Turned Upside Down") while the Americans Reportedly played the Song "Yankee Doodle" (Which was originally written as a way to put the American's down by the British!) at Cornwalli's Surrender to George Washington.

Washington LOST more battles than he won.

Teh Battle of Bunker Hill wasn't really fought at Bunker Hill, but rather a nearby hill known as Breeds Hill.

No Body Is really sure if there was actually any flags flown by the Americans at the Battle Of Bunker Hill.

Now, if anyone's gonna be askin how I know all this stuff, in real life, I really do play an instrument called the fife. I also do some reinacting (Rare!) with it (Rev. War). I teach the Fife Non-Profit for a fife and Drum Corps in teh state of De.

• 13 years later...
On 7/4/2007 at 11:41 PM, RogerDuke said:

Hey Country Girl, It was nice of you to start this thread. Here's an amazing July Fourth coincidence for my fellow Hazzardites. (One of them gives away an answer on the trivia post). I saw two episodes today..."Lawman of the Year" and "Coy Meets Girl" and I could hardly believe my ears....They both mention the Fourth of July!!! What's the chances of that???!!! Amazing things like that can only happen in Hazzard County. Possum on a gumbush. I'm gone.

Cousin Roger... Also a cutscene in PlayStation 1 Daisy Dukes It Out, Cooter gives Daisy the Roadrunner. She says "Cooter! Oh the Roadrunner!" He says "Well, I've been workin' on it, gettin' replacement parts here an' there fer a very good while now. Thought it'd be a nice Fourth of July surprise."