Goin' to see Skynyrd

Capt_Redneck

Hey all...

I am goin' to see Lynyrd Skynyrd tomorrow night right here in Long Island...I have seen them at least a dozen times since the Tribute tour in 87 ,when they got back together 10 years after the plane crash..I think I am excited about this one show more than alot of the others, I am taking my 10 year old daughter to her first concert. She is just as excited as me, she has been talking about it all summer..Now the time is here to finally go, what a way for ther to end the summer...

Darrell

Way to be Darrell - it is about time that people today help the younger generation to know what type of music was there when we were all younger. That is the only way to get them to appreciate the music that is out today - as well as to be well informed about the different types of music that there are and how each came to be.

you the man - stay cool bro,and take-er easy.

R.J.

I took my daughter, 10, with me for her first concert. When we got in the venue, the usher took us to our seats and then took my daughter down to the stage to see the equipment and how it it set up. Lucky her. Skynyrd came out ,after the Sopranos theme, through the crowd. Started with a smokin' version of Working For MCA , then I Ain't The One. Skynyrd played That's How I Like It and RWB , those were the only new songs. The medley was Down South Jukin'-Bullets- Swamp Music. When they did Tuesday's Gone, the string part from Lyve was used. That song blew everyone away as did RWB. At times the crowd was louder than Johnny singing. Johnny was great, talking about Westbury and NY . Rickey was his usual self. Gary was just great. What else is there to say. LI rocked Skynyrd and Skynyrd rocked LI They played for about 1 1/2 hours. My daughter did not sit down at all, she was singing , pumping her fists, clapping , screaming. Our night was just beginning..

After the show we headed over to the Downtown to see Saturday Night Special. Finally met Mark in person and introduced ourselves outside the club. We went in and got near the stage. SNS opened with Saturday Night Special. The first song sounded awesome, I knew from that that was going to a special night. They literally cooked up on stage. When they played Call Me The Breeze, my daughter was brought up on stage to sing a little. Can you believe it? Up on stage with the band, singing!!!!!!!!!I was prouder than anything. Then they brought up Jo Billingsly. She looked great. She sounded even better. I can't believe that this band had both Artie and Jo with them. First time in 27 years that both Artimus Pyle and Jo Billingsly were on the same stage. SNS does songs that I don't think you will ever hear Skynyrd do, like Am I losin', All I can Do Is Write It In A Song, Searchin', Honky Tonk Nighttime Man. I closed my eyes just listening to Billy sing , Mark George and Eric on guitars, Artimus on drums and thought I was hearing Lynyrd Skynyrd w/ Ronnie. I have seen LS many times since the tribute tour, and they are good, but Saturday Night Special sounds more like the original Skynyrd. Billy sings juts like Ronnie, I swear .I have never had the chance to see Ronnie sing live, I was too young. Like I said listening to them do songs you would never hear live and seeing my little girl sing up on stage just blew me away. My little one was singing and dancing all night. This band is just amazing. The way they perform and act with the fans. That was my first time seeing them.

After the show we got to talk with everyone in the band. Mark and Billy made sure we were treated right. The whole band was simply down to earth. My daughter and I got to go to Artie's room and she sat next to him talking to him and asking questions. Artie was awesome, he did not treat her like a little kid, but as a person, I thought that was awesome. She got signed drumsticks and a special drawing from Artimus. People were coming in and meting him, but there was daughter sitting next to him the whole time. We talked with Jo and got her to sign something. She is an amazing woman. I took pictures of everything, I just they come out. A lot of people took pictures of my daughter on stage too. This was such a special night for both me and my daughter, since this was her first ever concert. I don't think nothing will ever top this for both of us.

Just seeing my little girl up on stage with the band....Priceless

Darrell

Darrell,

That's a great story. It's just great to hear that a new generation of Skynyrd fans are out there.

I got to see Skynyrd a couple of years ago. It was one of the last concerts with Leon Wilkenson on bass. (RIP, Leon) My friend's brother and I went, it was a great show. Ted Nugent opened up for a 45 minute gig, then Deep Purple did about 1hr. and 15 minutes. Then, Skynyrd did an hour and 40 or so minutes. I heard they were around again, but I was out of town this time. Next time, I'm going again.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that tour also at Jones Beach , LI,NY .I love Ted, speaks his mind and doesn't matter if he poltically correct or not. He was loud....Deep Purple were great, that was th first time I heve ever seen them live...Skynyrd was just awesome that night ....I was in shock when I heard Leon pased away, just seen him like a month earlier. That is another sad day in Skynyrd's history...

Darrell

• 4 weeks later...