Britany Spears says she's Daisy Duke....or else!

Heard a tidbit on the radio while the local DJ was going over the celebrity gossip. I apologize for not having the name of this singer accurate, I think it was....Jennifer somebody or another, who's got a current hit on the charts. (I confess I've got no earthly idea about who this chic is, this broadcast was halfway through by the time I got the radio volume up.)

Anyhow, this singer had apparently shown interest in playing Daisy Duke in the upcoming Dukes movie. Reportedly, when Britany Spears heard this, she thew a fair-sized fit and was quoted as saying, "That role is MINE! I'M going to be Daisy Duke!"

I've been digging around for casting info to try and confirm or renounce this, and haven't come up with a damn. Near as I can figure, here's what's happening, based upon nothing more than a gut hunch:

1) WB is being tight-lipped about the casting because the script isn't done

2) WB is being tight-lipped about the script because the casting isn't done

3) WB still doesn't know what the hell The Dukes of Hazzard is really about, even after 20-odd years of making money from it.

To which I offer the following statement:

GAAAAAAH!!!!

Anyhow, I've been tracking the box office receipts on Starsky & Hutch, figurin' that WB is watching this one as something of a cash-o-meter for DOH's movie moola potential. Of course, Dukes has been more widely recogized and merchandized, but if S&H totally flopped on the big screen, it could cool the enthusiasm of WB execs.

That bein' said, S&H was comfortably in second place in the movie ranks throughout this last week, and as of last night, had gross receipts of

$35,482,630. ( That's in millions, y'all.) Not bad for the first week. We'll see how it holds up against the new releases this weekend.

That's the word on the street. And you didn't hear it from me. :wink:

Brian

More n' likely Jessica Simpson, because apparently the latest issue of People magazine says she's now being considered for the role of Daisy Duke.

Pardon my editorial comments here but.... FOR GOD'S SAKE CAN THEY TAKE IT ANY LOWER?!?!?!?!??!

$*(#!*$(!!

Ugh. Thank you for letting me vent. LOL. Of course, if this is the trend for just the role of Daisy I shudder to think who's being considered for such roles as Rosco, Jesse, Cooter, Boss and of course the Dukes.

Gaaaaahhhhhhh........

I keep reading that Paul Walker is probably going to be Bo, and that Ashton Kutcher will be Luke.

**Luke-------the more mature, clever, sensible Duke boy.

**Ashton----Michael Kelso on "That 70's Show".

:o Now I keep picturing Michael Kelso trying to outwit Boss Hogg......................................

I don't have nothin' new to report...I just have to put my two cents in. I agree with y'all.

Last I heard, they were suggesting that Jessica Simpson play Daisy Duke. How much more un-country can we all get now? My own personal opinion, I don't see how they can get any one of them to play Daisy and it coming off as being believable. (Jessica or Brittany). They need to get someone that doesn't have the publicity as being a pop or rock star...perhaps someone in the Country world or something of the sort. My opinion of course.

As for the Duke boys are concerned...I don't know who either one of them is. I have seen a few minutes of "That seventy show" and wasn't very impressed by it at all.

I guess time will tell...

Hello

Even though I am new to Hazzard, I hope you won't

mind me saying how I feel.

I agree with Sky. Lets see if we can't send them some

thoughts on the subject. (Maybe, they need to watch some

reruns of Hazzard and study it's people a little more.)

Just what are they thinking?

If in the event someone decides to...Count me in!

I think those people could use some serious advice.

Thank you for all of your time,

Jade Swade Duke

Man, I think we all have some strong opinions on the casting...but ya know what, WB doesn't care what the fans think. They are approaching this movie with one objective only. $$$$$

And ya see, they already know that the fans of the original series will go see this movie. We're locked in. What they need in order to make obscene amounts of money, is to add with some headline names from the pop world. They'll get some young 'ens that may never have seen the original show, and score the widest demographics that way. I'm not saying I agree, but this is how it works.

The best we can hope for, friends and cousins, is that whoever stars in this flick can STAND one another. If the actors have no chemistry together, it's over. So whoever plays Daisy, and whoever plays Bo and Luke, is an academic debate. It comes down to whether or not these people will have any real camaraderie.

What made the original show work, was the real-life chemistry and rapport that Tom and John had with each other, and that Sorrell and Jimmie had with each other, ect. Any readers of the DOH Unofficial Companion book will remember that the casting of Luke took some time; they could have thrown anybody into the role, but they didn't. Holding out for the right personality proved wise. I can only hope WB will employ the same strategy when casting for the movie.

Let's all keep the channels open, and share any news we can find.

They also said that if they couldn't find the right person to play Luke they wouldn't do the show and Tom was the last person casted on the show. Do you think they could get Tom and John to play Cameo like Bo and Luke could have kids they could be their Daddy's .

Given the cameo's David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser (I think I spelt his last name wrong.LOL) had in S&H, John and Tom will probably end up being seedy car dealers in Atlanta. Or the two bit crooks hired by Boss. Or they'll split the role of Hobie, the town drunk.

Can y'all tell how I'm feelin' about the prospects of this movie? ROFL.

BAHAHAHAHA!! Yeah, and they'll probably mix up which one wears the yellow shirt.

Don't be too pessimistic, tho'. Remember that Dukes o' Hazzard has survived sripts like, "Strange Visitor to Hazzard" and "Robot P. Coltrane." So whatever they do to the movie is unlikely to be worse.

Unless, of course, these happen to be the two episodes that the movie script writers have actually seen. AAAAAAAH!!!ACK!!GAH!! @$%&*!!

Got Maalox? Heh!

Brian

Well, there's one good thing about the movie coming out, no matter what we think of the casting. It will raise interest in the series again, and maybe some of the channels will put the Dukes of Hazzard reruns back on the air. If the movie is a success at the box office, we'll see the original series back on TV. :D

• 2 weeks later...

More dirt as heard on the celebrity radio news gossip...

Jessica Simpson is the "clear favorite" of the movie producers for the role of Daisy Duke. Jessica's "wholesome" and "southern" characteristics make her more of a natural fit for the role. (I'm just repeatin' it as I heard it.)

However, Britney Spears claims that she was "promised" the role of Daisy Duke and reportedly issued a counter-claim that she has the part. She's not givin' this up without a fight, y'all.

Now, for my own unfounded, unvalidated, Magic 8-Ball read on the whole mess. Given the stuff I've read from the Jessica Simpson articles, and the overall momentum she has in the media, I'd say she's got the role. But Warner Bros. has to let Britney down easy, and I don't think they've figured out how to do that yet. They may be looking for another project to offer Britney, in the odd chance any premature assurances were made. After all, there's no sense in alienating Britney fans.

It's my mild opinion that Jessica is better for the role, based on her rapport with other cast members involved in the project. Jessica adds to the chemistry; Britney would distract from it.

In any case, if this gig is going to hit production by May, WB has to reconcile the issue in the next few weeks. Right now, it's all in the "anything could happen" phase, but....that's Hazzard for ya.

:wink:

• 6 months later...

i have heard that the roles for bo and luke no longer go to Paul Walker, and Ashton Kutcher... From what i have read and herd, there going out to none other then Johnny Knoxville (jackass) And Seann William Scott (american pie) but i have seen a moive poster with jessica, paul, and ashton... But How Really Knows These Days.. If you ask my opinion, i think that paul walker and ashton would play the dukes boys well, i mean dont get me wrong i would love nothing more then see the orginals but if you think about it.. I mean C'mon Sean Scott And Johnny, 2 of the worlds most funniest actors... It would seem like they would try to make it more of a comedy... But thats just whats flying around...

Keep It In Hazzard

Given the cameo's David Soul and Paul Michael Glaser (I think I spelt his last name wrong.LOL) had in S&H, John and Tom will probably end up being seedy car dealers in Atlanta. Or the two bit crooks hired by Boss. Or they'll split the role of Hobie, the town drunk.

Can y'all tell how I'm feelin' about the prospects of this movie? ROFL.

or if they are really vindictive...they can make them Coy and Vance...I shudder to even mention those names, but they are still "Part" of Duke History...

• 2 weeks later...

"Breaker, breaker, this is Crazy Cooter coming at ya. Ah may be crazy but Ah ai'nt dumb... Sorry, Good ol` Dukes memories.

Anyway, back to buisness. This is how I would script the film...

Bo and Luke got off probation and moved to the city to be busnessmen. they got married and had children. (Hence the new acters)

Rasco Coltrane Straitens up a bit (or not) and takes over as mayor of Hazzard. Good ol` Enos who went to Atlanta to become a Georgia st lawman, becomes the cheif officer of the Georgia St Police. Daisy and Enos realized just how much they really loved each other and got married and had a child of their own (Enos Strate Jr.), who becomes deputy sherriff of Hazzard Co. Dasy becomes manager of this huge fassion store in Atlanta. Cletus, who went to the U.S. military, becomes a ret. General and returns to Hazzard and becomes Sherriff. Crazy Cooter still owns and works at the old garage.

Well one day one of the Duke boy's children asks "Dad, how were things like in Hazzard in your younger days?" Well, after a short remanicing (sp) story of the old days, Bo and Luke take their boys (who are in their teens, one almost 20) and reviels the good ol` GENERAL LEE. Well after a minor tune up and a few other things to get the ol` car road ready, for ol`-times-sake, they take the Genral for a spin.

Balladeer: And so the story goes. Welcome back y'all ta HAZZARD County.