Redneck Revival

RogerDuke

Yesterday, USA Today did a story about the skyrocketing popularity of reality shows based on rednecks. Some of the shows they mentioned were "Swamp People", "Hillbilly Handfishin'" and "Bayou Billionaires". They mentioned others but you get the idea.

I'm thrilled with these new shows. I've seen some of them and I'm excited that they are so popular now.

There's always going to be a few people who watch these shows to make fun of the rednecks but I'll agree with the author of the story (Carol Memmott) that the vast majority of viewers like these shows because the people on them are so real, unique and authentic.

I'll add that I think these shows are going to be around a long time. The world has gotten complicated and crazy and folks crave the opposite. One of my favorite saying is by Ralph Waldo Emerson, "To be simple is to be great".

The nuttier the world gets, the more people will look to simplicity to regain their sanity and there's nothing more simple than being a redneck and watching other rednecks be rednecks.

My second favorite all-time song is "What This World Needs is a Few More Rednecks" by the Charlie Daniels Band. The lyrics have never been more true than they are today. If you get a chance check it out.

I'm excited about this new redneck revival. Maybe it will mean a whole new group of folks will discover (or re-discover) The Dukes of Hazzard.

I agree with what you are saying about people wanting to have that simple life and the pleasures to go with it. I didn't get a chance to read the article but I do think that some of these shows are setting a trend in the good ol' USA with a lot people wanting to be more like them or at least in some way emulate their simplicity and uniqueness but also looking at those people in not so pretty light too. There is a fine line between uniqueness and carnival sideshow attraction and that is what I think a lot of the reality programs try to promote sublimely.

I wish more people would tune in the Dukes and realize what family and fun is about. Shows like the DOH, Andy Griffith are what makes the simple life to me.

For me the song that means the most to me - "Simple Man" Lynyrd Skynyrd. The lyrics alone have the truest meaning for me.

I'm gone

Darrell

For me the song that means the most to me - "Simple Man" Lynyrd Skynyrd. The lyrics alone have the truest meaning for me.

I'm gone

Darrell

In addition to "What This World Needs is a Few More Rednecks" the Charlie Daniels Band also has one called "Simple Man".

I cut out a comic that I saw many years ago. It was a man climbing to the top of a mountain where the wise guru lived (or as I like to call him, Uncle Jesse).

The guru looked down at the man and said "Seek simplicity in life".

The man looked up confused and responded "Come on, there's got to be more to it than that."

How sad it is that some people just ruin their life by not seeing simplistic beauty. The more that people realize that, the more they'll see the genius of being a redneck.