We've All Got To Grow Up Sometime

runningwild

Luke meanwhile continued walking around Hazzard Square, Abi now huddled against his shoulder, her little hand still clinging to his shirt.

Physically, he hadn't changed all that much, though his hair had flecks of gray showing through and the lines on his face were a bit deeper. When his uncle had passed, Luke had given up the smoke-jumping career he had begun and taken over the role as patriarch, drowning his sorrow in farm work, determined not to let the one thing Jesse had to pass down to his kids die with him. Of course, all the girls in Hazzard had been making their plays on him as the only eligible Duke boy; it wasn't long after though, that Luke Duke's heart belonged to only one woman: Sara.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He had met her in a diner She was waiting tables, when he and Bo had stopped there to get something to eat on their way home from Atlanta. Luke Duke had never been one to be shy around girls. Normally confidence overflowed him. But the moment he saw Sara, he could hardly speak, much less act. Bo had finally convinced him to approach her, and after many cups of coffee, he finally got the nerve to ask her out.

He knew without a doubt that he had found his soulmate.

Eventually they had gotten married. Bo by that time had been married to Sammy too, living the life of a NASCAR husband and wife. Though he missed his cousin deeply, life on the farm with his new wife kept him busy. There were always chores to be done, baby goats to ween, fences to mend... and above all there was Sara, his lifeblood. As long as he had her...he couldn't fail to be happy...and soon...there would be their baby.

Then had come the day, the best and worst day of his life. In a matter of moments, God had given life and God had taken a life away...and the world as Luke Duke knew it crumbled apart.

Cassie simply nodded; but being as stubborn as she was sometimes, she knew that she would probably take a baby step over her boundaries at least once. Still she wanted to try to shift from her and Bo's intimate conversation to the more light heartedness of Enos' approach.

"I see you're back, finally," she tried to add humor and sarcasm to her comment.

Enos just shook his head, "Well Darlin', if you didn't have to bring everything you owned for a short trip, then I would've been back sooner."

She shook her head at his comment and ignored it because often times Enos could be just as big of a packer as she was.

Catching a look at Bo, he figured he'd strike a short conversation. "What made you two miss out on the ice cream outing? I saw Luke and Abi on my way over. They just seemed to be having a good ol' time without ya."

"Oh well, I guess that makes enough sense," the brown yet graying headed man commented. "I don't blame ya. I would've grabbed one with Cassie and not thought twice about it." He winked at her.

Cassie's eyes got big, "Enos don't let Bo think you do everything with me. You know you leave me out all the time."

Enos shrugged, "Sure Cass." He paused letting his eyes drift to the ground, "So, what now ya'll?"

Cassie found a smile within her that was genuine enough in the presence of Luke. While the boys shared a few sentences, she let her eyes linger on Luke and his sleeping angel.

"You fellas go on home to be with your families. Enos and I can entertain ourselves for a little while."

Enos nodded slowly, "I've got some calls to make that I've been putting off, so maybe I can do that."

A sarcastic grin touched Cassie's face, "See fellas that's exactly what I was talking about. I'll watch Enos talk on the phone and twiddle my thumbs." She chuckled, "I'm kidding. Hazzard's not unfamiliar territory. Maybe I can find something to do.. like have one of ya'll take me home with you to see where you call home?"

Her belief that inviting herself was too forward did not exist, but that was just friendly, southern hospitality Cassie. Of course, she wondered quite curiously what else had come out of life for Bo and Luke.

Bo smiled a little though inside he was getting a little mad at Cassie...after everything he had just told her, she still obviously wasn't planning on toning down even just a little on the forward attitude. Still he didn't let it show, he'd grown up enough to know how to hide his emotions better - more the bad than the good - so that people couldn't see through him so easy.

"Suppose you could for a couple of hours...we still live at our Uncle's farm...we just...modernized it a little and expanded it t'hold everyone that needs holdin is all..."

Luke nodded a little, though his insides were quaking at the thought of spending two hours with Cassie at the farm made his stomach churn. He could feel her eyes on him, even though he was doing everything in his power not to look at her in return. Glancing at Bo he could sense a slight bit of indignation in his voice, not detectable by anyone else. He wasn't sure what to make of it but he knew one thing...if Cassie was coming out to the farm, he was sticking close to Abi tonight.

The smile on her face grew sweeter, "I wasn't wanting to impose. I just was curious. Plus, I didn't plan on staying long anyway." In fact, her curiosity had gotten the best of her, but the thought of going with them made her almost sick. She knew both of these men quite well at one time, but now there was no place for her.

Enos nodded slowly, "You can go if you want Cass. I'll probably be back at the hotel, and I'll wait on you until you get back."

"Well I don't know Enos.."

He just smiled, "If they want you, let 'em take you."

Getting her to feet, she leaned over to Enos and whispered, "They don't want me."

Somehow, the look on his face just mirrored that fact that he understood.

Bo stretched lightly and smiled, shaking Enos' hand.

"Tell ya what...Sammy makes some of the best food in the county - second only t'Daisy an' Uncle Jesse - why dont you come over t'night when yer done with the phone calls an' things instead of eatin' at the hotel Enos...that way you an' Cassie can go back t'gether." He offered with a smile, having actually missed his and Luke's childhood pal a lot. It was rare they got to see Enos anymore, so Bo tried t'spend as much time catching up as possible. PLus the kids loved him.

Shaking Bo's hand back, Enos grinned, "Well sure, Bo. I guess that will work out then." He seemed genuinely pleased to be invited to dinner because he loved catching up with Bo and Luke. The kids were always a pleasure to have around, and he couldn't pass up a good home cooked meal.

"Plus, Cassie can't cook like a Hazzard woman should be able too," he kidded her and pulled her close with his free hand. "Be good," he spoke directly yo her. "I don't want Bo having to call me to come get ya early."

Cassie scoffed, "I'm no child Enos Strate."

After giving her a squeeze, he let his arm drop from around her. "You know what I mean." He sighed happily, "Take good care of her while I'm gone, and I'm gonna be there as soon as I can."

He paused and directed his question to Luke, "Let me know if you hear from Daisy.. So, do you really think she's coming?" Something about the way he asked seemed a little less excited and more curious with a reason.

Standing to herself, she didn't look at Luke much because even though he tried to hide it, she could still see his uneasiness. Anyways, she figured Bo would scold her later for being so forward. Nature is hard to change.

Enos bit his lower lip for a moment while contemplating what "she might" meant. He kne whe had to take it for what it was worth because if she came, then she came, if she didn't, she didn't.

"I guess I'll take it for what I can get," the tone he used seemed a little less than his cheery self.

Cassie smiled, "She'll come, Honey. And, if she don't, then you know I'll fly her out to visit any time you want."

Detective Strate knew that Cassie would do anything for him, and he admired her for that. If they didn't have each others friendship, they wouldn't have much of anything out west.

"I'm sure she'll be here though Enos...its unlikely she'll pass up the chance to see TJ an' Abi...she adores those two just as everyone else does..."

He said with a smile, seeing the familiar dispondency from their younger days that Enos always used to adopt whenever he caught the boys with no Daisy around. This time however, there seemed to be more to the despondency than usual and it made him wonder exactly what could be going on.

Enos chuckled, "If ya hunted me down, there'd be no where for me to hide especially from a Duke. I'll be there Bo. Thanks for the invite." He stood there letting his chuckle die softly, "Well I guess I better get going, but take good care of her for me." Nodding in Cassie's direction, he waved goodbye. "Bye ya'll!"

Cassie waved and watched him walk away.

"I don't mind it Bo," her eyes floated toward the sky to admire what he said about the nice day. "Plus, I don't think I'd want to ride with Luke. Can't guarantee that I wouldn't say the wrong things to him. I just don't know what to say to him. I feel like I shouldn't say anything at all, but I just want to talk to him.. like we use to."

Heaving a sigh, her eyes had landed back on Bo, who appeared to be listening. "I feel like this should be Luke and I standing here talking, not me and you. You know. I thought that's how the past had placed us. I never saw this coming. I guess you can't see those kind of things."