More than just a fan

SouthernEagleUtah

It was one of those days in my home where the sun was in the sky the birds chirping but something was missing, My very own mother had passed away. Now this could happen to anyone but a Dukes fan is more than just a fan they are well kin folk. So after someone at Lou Step productions had read the obit, they called me right there on the phone. After we talked some they all said they'd come to the services for my mom. Now understanding this is happeing in a small town in Idaho of about 800 people. On that morning here came several rental cars, and everyone from the TV show was there to offer me sympathy. Fast forward to the day Paul Picard passed away. As I sat at the bed of the man who in part had created The Dukes of Hazzard TV show, I told him then and there that I would always hold in memory and honor that TV show that for me became more than just a TV show but a way of life. Since that day, my tow truck has worn the sign of The Hazzard County Garage, my shop has stayed that name no matter what and I still live each day even though now I live in the city of Utah, I still do it all Hazzard style. Over the years formed a hot rod club and Dukes fan group called the Hazzard County Knytes, still do a weekly radio show on public radio called Hazzard County Radio, still write and publish a newspaper called The Hazzard County Gazzette, and still have every picture I have ever had of all things Dukes, and Hazzard. So am I more than just a fan? You decide.

You're "01" of a kind.

But yer not alone. I think Hazzard County represents a place in all of our hearts, that was there before there was a name for it. We all express it differently. Some of us have a Dixie horn in our cars; some folks build crazy websites dedicated to the show; others go on life-quests to find a Charger to paint orange.

One things for sure, we're all easy to pick out from a crowd....but a crowd of us makes for a helluva good time!

Brian

Aren't you RebelWolfUT ??? Your story sounds the same as his ....

I can't beat what Brian wrote - your "01" of a kind...and I am sure us Dukes fans would make a helluva good time..

RebelWolfUT wrote on Aug 12

Few I think love the TV show the Dukes of Hazzard more than I do. Let me express it this way theres a story behind my affection. Back in 1981 when at a crossroads in my car building business in Idaho, I was in the march of going to the 1981 Salt Lake City Autorama. We at the shop had a different car nearly built, when on a scouting trip to find white go-go boots for the display, I ran across a duplicate General Lee. That was so exact it was teriffc. So then, the guy who built that car was going on a LDS Mission, and needed to sell the car, so I did what any good Duke fan would do, I bought it. Touched it up, replaced the 318 with a tweaked 440, and entered the Salt Lake City Autorama, see the February 1982 Popular Hot Rodding Magazine issue, it was in there. After the car show, got to thinking I do not look like Bo, or Luke, but I did resemble Crazy Cooter both in life as well as looks, I too drove and still drive a tow truck in a very small country town. So I made a phone call to Paul Picard, don't ask me how I got through, but I did. I talked to him and Skip Ward the producer of the Dukes, asked if I could use the name Hazzard Garage for my shop, they said yes and so it goes. When my mom passed away a year later, I was really hit hard. Somehow the cast and Picard had heard about her passing, and not only offered me their kindness, but showed up in our little town of Hagerman Idaho( 96 miles south of Boise) After that Hagerman was nick named Hazzard Idaho. So yes in many ways not only did I watch the show, but have every single episode on VHS Video, but in many ways I lived the show in my own way. I created an unofficial Dukes club and custom ride group rolled into one. With the name of the group taken loosly after the Hollywood Knights, a movie of the time that also featured besides other Popular Hot Rodding Magazine' car Project X Yellow 57 Chevy. We called our club the Hazzard Kounty Knytes Kustmz Association. So am I a true fan? Do I love what the Dukes stood for? Answer, more than anyone could know. Am I trying to make money off that image or images, no. I just want to preserve it.

Maybe he requested a name transfer, Capt?

Over five years, I’ve had the following Hazzardnet accounts:

Daney

Danielle (site wasn’t working)

Gypsy Rose

Daisy, Bo and Luke Duke (fanfic)

Carlee Duke

Daisy, Bo and Luke (lost password to similar one… reregistered)

Haley Shaw (fanfic)

Wildflower

Possibly 1 or 2 other ones. Each time, had a convenient excuse for hiding behind another id.

Back to topic, whether it’s RebelWolfUT or SouthernEagleUtah, I’m glad the story was shared.

• 7 months later...

i can't beat what Brian Coltrane wrote so i'll just do this:

Brian Coltrane wrote:

You're "01" of a kind.

But yer not alone. I think Hazzard County represents a place in all of our hearts, that was there before there was a name for it. We all express it differently. Some of us have a Dixie horn in our cars; some folks build crazy websites dedicated to the show; others go on life-quests to find a Charger to paint orange.

One things for sure, we're all easy to pick out from a crowd....but a crowd of us makes for the best time ever!!!! :D:D:D