Reunion Patrol Car Decals

HossC

I've just noticed that the decals on the doors of the patrol cars in the Reunion movie are different from those in the series. Throughout all seven seasons the 6-pointed sheriff's badges on the Hazzard cars had a pair of scales in the center, "County Sheriff" around them, and "Hazzard County" underneath. In the Reunion movie the design in the middle has changed, and the words "Hazzard County Sheriff" are around it (no text underneath) - see first picture below.

PoliceLogos.jpg

The second picture is from the Roseville patrol car that was is 'New Deputy in Town'. The center logo is the same. The last picture is even more bizarre - despite bearing a striking resemblance to the Reunion decal, I actually spotted it in an episode of 'The Fall Guy'.

• 1 year later...

Since I posted the picture above I've been trying to track down some better reference pictures for the center of these logos. Then HNet member Jake01 suggested a few more sources to check. Surprisingly, the logo on the right (above) seems to have been a fairly stock police logo for movies and TV shows in the '70s and '80s - I say surprisingly because I've never noticed before.

The first example is from the 1974 movie 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry'. The logo appears on the black and white patrol cars, mainly seen in the second half of the movie. Although I could tell it was the same logo, it was hard to get a clear shot of the ones on the cars. The picture below is taken from a brief shot of the entrance to the sheriff's office.

PoliceLogoDMCL.jpg

Thanks to another one of Jake's suggestions I watched the 1990 movie 'Spaced Invaders' starring Douglas Barr from 'The Fall Guy'. The picture below is the best I could get, and while I can again tell it's the same logo, I couldn't make out any more detail.

PoliceLogoSpacedInv.jpg

I even found a second appearance in 'The Fall Guy' in the episode 'Mighty Myron' (S02E05). Again, no more details are visible. The Sheriff in the center is Clifton James aka. Sheriff Lester Crabb from 'Treasure of Hazzard'.

PoliceLogoFallGuy.jpg

In the end I went back to Google Images, and eventually found a long-finished Ebay auction for a movie prop of a very similar logo. Finally I was able to make out the detail on the building and see that the text under the shield says "PROBONO PUBLICO" (technically it should be "PRO BONO PUBLICO", "For the public good" in Latin, but I copied the on-screen spacing). Based on the new information I've already updated the Roseville patrol car in the Fan Art section, and will be adding a 'Reunion' patrol car very soon. Because the logos come out quite small on the Fan Art cars, I've made larger versions of the three different logos (below).

PoliceLogosNew.jpg

Isn't it typical? I spent ages looking for a good shot of the generic version of the County Sheriff badge and then find another almost straight away. The screengrab below is from the 1994 Corey Eubanks movie 'Forced to Kill'. I spotted it when is was getting pictures of the post-Dukes Boar's Nest building for the Valencia Oaks Movie Ranch thread. I wonder if there are any more recent movies or TV shows that use it.

PoliceLogoFTK.jpg

As promised above, my Fan Art version of the 'Reunion' patrol car has now been posted in the Rosco's Patrol Car thread.