A very bad day

i1976

Several days went by. As doctor Kane had promised, sedatives were stopped gradually, and Enos woke up; at the beginning he was awake, bu a bit confused, only for few minutes during the day, and then he woke up totally.

There weren’t anymore electrodes or strange monitors around him; Daisy was very happy, and she spent several hours with Enos in hospital, talking to him.

“How do you feel today, sugar?â€

“I'm fine, Daisy. I’m tired to stay in this bed, but I’m also too weak to get up. Luckily, a lot of people visit me everyday: you, Uncle Jesse, Bo and Luke, Rosco, Cletus, Cooter, and many others, even Boss Hogg and Mrs. Lulu; so I’m not boredâ€

“You need to eat something nourishing, so you’ll recover quicklyâ€

“Yeah. I miss your apple-pie and everything else, but actually I can only eat liquid stuffâ€

Bo and Luke entered the room:†Hey, buddy"

Daisy put her hand on Enos shoulder “Honey, when you’ll come back home, I’ll do everything you wantâ€.

Bo and Luke laughed:" Have we missed something important about you two?" Enos blushed, looking away.

“Oh, shut up. I mean, when you’ll come back home, Enos, I’ll COOK everything you want.â€

Luke continued to laugh: “Daisy, maybe Enos is thinking something differentâ€.

Daisy looked at Enos, surprised “ENOS!†and he blushed more and more :â€I..... I’m thinking only of your apple-pie, Daisy, and your soup, and ...... and everything I want to eatâ€

So, day after day, the Dukes paid visit to Enos, but anyone (neither Enos nor the Dukes) didn’t talk about the fight Enos had with Daisy, John and Daniel, or Sergeant Mason. Everyone wanted to forget everything, but it was impossible, and the time to speak about it would have come.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That night, as other times before, Enos woke up suddenly, in a cold sweet that soaked his t-shirt; and that night he felt again a stabbing pain in his stomach (doctor Kane said that it was normal, and he would have felt that pain over and over again, but it would have disappeared).

He remembered everything: he recalled Daisy’s slap, the shot, the ambulance. The first thing he remembered after his awakening, it was Sergeant Mason’s face and his words.

He was shocked that the robbers were John and Daniel Grey, but he didn’t believe that Bo and Luke had helped them to escape during the chase (as Sergeant Mason and Boss Hogg thought). He remembered the fright in Bo’s eyes after the shot, and he remembered how they had helped him; so he knew that they had tried to catch the robbers, but they had failed (sometimes also drivers as Bo and Luke can make a mistake, he though, perhaps ‘cause an emotional distress). Enos, in conclusion, trusted his friends, and he knew that there was a reason why they had helped John and Daniel to escape from prison (he didn’t know this reason, but he trusted them).

Above all, he knew Daisy cared about him, despite the slap during the row; he remembered, even if confusingly, Daisy’s touch while he was still unconscious.

So, he didn’t need any explanation. He tried to fall asleep again, dreaming Daisy’s next visit.

Meanwhile Daisy woke up cause a pain in her stomach. It was a strange and deep pain.

She tried to fall asleep again, thinking of Enos and her next visit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys. Sergeant Mason will return (too simple if he disappears).

I don't know if John and Daniel will return, and I don't know how Sergeant Mason can take revenge. Any idea?

Next day, when doctor Kane entered the room, Enos was still sleeping. When he woke up, he had a strange look.

“What’s the matter, Deputy Strate? Did you feel pain again?â€.

“Yeahâ€.

“How long did it last?â€

“Only few minutesâ€.

“It will disappear; be patientâ€

Enos remained silent; doctor Kane looked at him carefully:â€Aren’t you worried about it, right?â€

Enos didn’t speak. Doctor Kane changed the subject: “Will Daisy come today?â€

The deputy blushed, smiling: “Yeahâ€. Doctor Kane smiled at him; he understood deputy’s feelings since the first time he saw Deputy Strate and Daisy Duke together.

While doctor Kane was leaving, Enos said:â€Doctor Kane.... Is it never meaningless to love someone? No matter how much pain does it cause?â€

Two months passed.

Enos recovered (but sometimes he felt that pesky pain) and he was again on duty. The boys and Daisy were very glad to see him in his uniform.

Everything seemed to be as usual. Boss Hogg and Rosco tried to blame Dukes for various crimes, and the boys proved their innocence; the General Lee ran on Hazzard’s streets, while patrol cars chased it. As usual.

Everyone seemed to have forgotten that day. Exept Enos.

Uncle Jesse looked at his nephews and his niece sitting around kitchen’s table for dinner.

“I don’t see Enos here around for a long timeâ€.

The boys and Daisy didn’t spoke, and uncle Jesse understood that something was wrong.

“What’s the matter?â€

Luke spoke looking away:â€Well, uncle Jesse. It’s strange, but, since he left the hospital, he avoid usâ€.

Uncle Jesse was surprised:â€What does it mean that he avoids you?â€

Luke continued:â€He’s so elusive when he meets us, as he doesn’t want to speak to us. It’s so strange. He avoids also Daisy, and it’s not only strange but quite incredible; everyone knows that he has a crush on herâ€.

Uncle Jesse stared at his niece:â€Is it true, Daisy?â€

Daisy sighed:â€Yeah, uncle Jesse. When he was in hospital, he was ... normal.... he was .... Enos. But since he’s come back Hazzard, he’s strange. I've told him to come for dinner many times, but.....â€

Uncle Jesse stopped her:â€Don’t worry.†Then he stood up and he took the telephone. â€How do you feel, Enos?†...pause....

“I’m glad you’re feeling betterâ€... pause....

“No. There's no problem. I’m calling you just to make sure that you’re fine"...pause.....

“What about to come for dinner tomorrow?â€... pause....

“Don't worry. You don’t annoyâ€... pause....

“Ok Enos. See youâ€

After the call, Uncle Jesse looked at Daisy, smiling:†He can't say 'no' to me. Daisy, cook your best apple-pie for tomorrowâ€.

In his apartment, Enos was thinking about the Dukes. He trusted them, and he knew that they cared about him. However they had hurt him; deep in his heart he didn’t know if he had forgiven them for that.

After Uncle Jesse’s call, Enos laid down on his bed, gazing upon the ceiling.

He was thinking about Sergeant Mason’s words: “What have I to think about a cop who is friend of men on probation who help bank robbers? I think that you, Dukes and Greys are partners in crime........ Why are you so surprised? Partners in crime don’t shoot each other, of course, but, maybe, you fought ‘cause plunder’s shares; so, they tried to kill you in order to raise their own share..... What? Do you think I’m mad, Deputy Strate?........ Do you continue to cover your friends?........ Yes, my theory hasn’t any evidence; but it is my word against your one. Is it more weighty a sergeant’s word or a deputy’s word? ....... I have no evidences to put you in jail, you’re right, but those doubts about your skill could put you through a disciplinary action..... You have a choice: put Dukes in jail accusing them of complicity in a bank robbery, or accept a disciplinary action.... Is it your choice?... When a cop is accused of corruption, he can be suspended from his duty, or he can be transferred, do you know it?..... Are you ready not to be a cop anymore? Are you ready to leave Hazzard, Duke family and Daisy?....... Did you already stay in California? I know, but this time it won’t be your purpose, and you won’t come back so easily".

Every time he thought to Mason’s words, he felt like he was drowning. He tried to breath slowly as Doctor Kane had said to him, but it didn’t work. So he tried to breath inside an envelope, and his breath, gradually, became normal again.

Dukes didn’t know anything about that.

Next morning Enos entered Postal Office, like every day in the last two months.

“Good morning, Miss Tizdale. Anything for me?â€

“Good morning Enos. Take the number like everybody elseâ€

Enos smiled.

“Number oneâ€

“It’s meâ€

“There’s a letter for you. It seems very importantâ€.

Enos became serious “Yes, Miss Tidzaleâ€

“Your ID card, pleaseâ€

He took the letter, but he didn’t open it. When he went out Postal Office, Miss Tizdale looked at him, wondering what he was thinking.

Does anyone guess what's that letter?

Tell me what you're thinking, on PM or directly here.

At the airport, Enos was waiting his flight to Boston, with a one-way ticket in his hand.

“Are you sure that you don’t want to say good-bye to Daisy and the Dukes?â€

Enos knew that living without Daisy and away from Hazzard was like a knife through his heart, but he didn’t want to say good-bye. He turned toward Rosco:†Yeah. I can’t explain anything to them, but I’ve written this letter; give it to Daisy. Thanks for the ride, Sheriffâ€

Rosco hugged him; it was the second time he left Hazzard, but this time it was diferrent; it wasn’t his wish, but it was a punishment; it was Mason’s revenge.

That evening, the Dukes were waiting for Enos to come for dinner.

“Uncle Jesse, I’m worried. He’s late, and it’s strangeâ€

“Don’t worry, Daisy. He’ll come. Maybe he’s busyâ€. But also uncle Jesse was worried, even if he was trying to calm Daisy.

A patrol car stopped in front of Dukes farm. “It’s him†shouted Daisy, joyful.

When she went out the farm, she saw Rosco.

She stopped, confused.

After Rosco left, Daisy read Enos letter.

Dear Daisy.

Sorry if I’ve been so distant recently, but I knew that I’d have left Hazzard (and you); and compared to the pain of explaining everything to you, I preferred the pain of avoiding you.

Will you ever forgive me? Will you ever forgive me for my words that day?

Do you know, Daisy? If I was able to get over many critical moments, it’s because you always stand by my side.

I’m getting over a critical moment, and you can’t stand by my side.

Never seeing you again is very painful, but I don’t know what else to do. I’m a cop, and I’ve to do my duty. But I promise that I’ll come back. I don’t know when, and I don’t know how, but I’ll come back. Everyone will know that I’m a good cop, and that I’m not corrupted, so I’ll be able to come back.

After reading the letter, Daisy burst into tears. It wasn’t a break-up note; it was a love letter.

Meanwhile, John and Daniel Grey were in Boston.

“We are far away Sergeant Mason, far away Atlanta, far away Hazzard, far away everything. We are freeâ€

John entered his brother’s room like a tornado. Daniel, who was thinking to a new cheat, jumped, nearly falling out his bed. “What’s the matter, John?â€

“I.... I... It’s impossible, but I think that... that cop, Hazzard, here, in Bostonâ€

“Calm down and stop to mix words randomlyâ€

John took a deep breath:â€I’ve seen Hazzard’s cop (the one who arrested us) here in Bostonâ€

“Are you sure? Maybe you’re wrong; you’ve seen someone who looks like him. Why would he be in Boston? You’re wrongâ€

John shook his head: “No. I’m right. He’s here. Peraphs.....†he looked round, then he continued, in a whisper, “peraphs that cop died when I fired him, and I’ve seen his ghostâ€

Daniel stared at his brother:†Are you drunk? Or are you foolâ€

John continued:â€I’ve seen that cop; he was wearing Boston police uniform, but I’ve recognized himâ€. Daniel shooked his head:†Boston police uniform? Does a cop’s ghost wear different uniforms when he appears in different cities? Interestingâ€

John remained silent for few seconds:â€Ok. He’s alive and he’s here. What a bad luck!â€

Daniel remained quiet:†Don’t worry. Boston is a big city. We won’t meet him anymoreâ€.

But John didn’t trust completly his brother’s words.

Not only John and Daniel saw Enos Strate around, but also Daisy Duke saw him in all patrol cars she met in Hazzard; she dreamed of him. She missed him very much.

Daisy worked at Boar’s Nest everyday. Working distracted her, but when Rosco or Cletus came for lunch, her stomach ached; she remembered Enos and his buttermilk. Sometimes she felt like it was all a dream.

She felt guilty for Enos transfer, and she wondered how he felt and what he was doing; Boston was so cold, so big, and so dangerous. She remainded herself that Enos had stayed in Los Angeles too, and he had returned to Hazzard safe and sound; paradoxically, he nearly died in Hazzard.

She read his letter every evening.

It was five months since his leaving, and the spring had turned to summer, and the summer to autumn. She didn’t receive any letter or call from Enos; she didn’t even know his address in Boston, but Miss Tizdale surely knew it, and maybe also Rosco. She had to know it. She had to reach him.

Daisy knew Enos address in Boston very easily, but she was in doubt what to do next: go to Boston or call him? She didn’t know what to tell him by phone or by letter. She talked about that with her cousins and uncle Jesse; they were confused about Daisy’s decision, but they were also worried about Enos silence, and they knew Daisy was the only person who could understand him.

“OK, Daisy, but we’ll come with you†said Luke.

“No Luke. I’ll go alone. I’ll talk with Enos and I’ll try to understand what’s wrong with him. I’ll call you only if there’ll be some problemâ€

Daisy arrived in Boston in a windy fall day.

She reached Enos apartment, on the seventh floor of a red brick building, without elevator. It was located alongside a river.

Enos wasn’t yet there; a next-door neighbor told her that he was still on duty, and he would have come home at 8 o’clock p.m. (it was 6 o’clock).

Daisy sat down in front of his apartment door, waiting for him.

She was tired. Why did she come there? She arrived at Boston without warning: did she make a mistake? It was 8.30 o’clock, and she was still thinking about that when she heard steps on the stairs, and she saw a man wearing a uniform who stopped at the top of the stairs.

Enos stared at Daisy. She stood up, enable to speak; it was so strange to see him wearing a uniform different from the Hazzard’s one.

They stared at each other, wordlessly, for several minutes. Then Enos approached Daisy, looking away; he opened his apartment door and he took her hand. She followed him in the apartment.

“Sorry Enos. I shouldn’t have come without warningâ€

He was staring at the closed door, then he turned towards her. In his eyes Daisy saw pain, astonishment and happyness, all mixed together. He hugged her tight, and his weight pushed them down on their knees. “I wanted to see you so much†he whispered, crying on her shoulder.

Daisy put her arms around his neck, shocked, feeling that his shoulders were trembling while he was crying silently.

When Enos calmed down, he stood up, embarassed for having shown his weakness to Daisy. “Sorry, Daisy. I’m only a bit tired, and surprised to see you. Are you tired? Are you hungry? I have to cook something for dinner, or do you prefer to go out?â€

“Don’t worry, Enos. I’m OK. Take a hot bath and relax; it’s a cold and windy day. Meanwhile I’ll cook something for dinnerâ€

“Thanks, Daisyâ€

While Enos was in the bath, Daisy looked around. It was a small apartment; there was a living room with a cooking corner, a couch and a television; near the window, there was a small table. There were two doors: the bathroom and the bedroom. Daisy opened the fridge and shook her head, whispering: what a polar desert. She managed to make a soup.

When Enos entered the living room he was wearing a LAPD blue tracksuit; Daisy watched, smiling, his short hair, still dump and matted.

He sniffed, smiling “Soup?â€

“Yeah, honey. Check it while I take a bath. If it overcooks, we’ll have to fastâ€.

In the bathtub, Daisy was thinking of Enos tears.

Sitting at the table, Enos and Daisy were eating the soup (Enos risked to overcook it, lost in his thoughts). They talked about Hazzard, laughing; Enos asked about Rosco and Boss, and Bo, Luke, Uncle Jesse; he wanted to know everything was happening in Hazzard. Then they washed up, and while Daisy was wiping the dishes, Enos sat at the table, watching out the window, lost again in his thoughts.

Daisy stared at him, thinking: â€Well. Now I’m here, in Boston, in Enos apartment. Do I want to know how he’s feeling or not? Otherwise, why did I come? To cook soup? I have to tell him why I’m here. I have to ask him why he left Hazzard like that and why he didn’t call or write .....five months far away Hazzard, without calling or writing. I can’t pretend that nothing happened: he almost died, he has been tranferred in Boston and it’s the first time I saw him crying".

“Enos..â€, but she was interrupted by someone who was knocking at the door.

Enos stood up and opened the door.

Seargent Ray Mason was standing in front of him.

“Good evening, officer Strate. Do you like Boston?â€

Enos stared at him, angrily. He hated that man.

Daisy remembered Mason’s face and his devilish smile; she remembered his words: “Deputy Strate will tell me the truth. Or will he protect you? Will he protect you when he’ll know that you helped robbers who nearly killed him?â€. Daisy shivered remembering when Enos was in hospital.

Ray Mason looked at Daisy: â€Good evening, Miss Dukeâ€, then he stared again at Enos, going on about:†Daniel and John Grey are here in Boston. You chose to save those Dukes from prison and now you’re in Boston; don’t let Greys escape again, otherwise this time you’ll risk your job. See you tomorrow, officer Strate†and he left.

After Mason left, Daisy looked at Enos. “What does it mean: you chose to save those Dukes from prison and now you’re in Boston?†Enos looked away, and Daisy finally understood that Enos had sacrificed his life and his job in order to save her family, though they had betrayed his trust when they had helped to escape John and Daniel the first time. Rosco had told them that Enos had been transferred ‘cause Mason’s revenge, but they didn’t know anything ‘bout that choice. Daisy understood Enos behaviour before leaving Hazzard: he didn’t want they knew what was happening.

“Enos, look at me, please. Why did you hide everything? If we had known it, we would have helped youâ€

“You couldn’t help me, Daisyâ€

Daisy caressed his cheek:†What if John and Daniel escape again.....â€

Enos smiled sadly: â€If they escape, maybe I’ll be transferred to Alaskaâ€

“Enos, don’t jokeâ€

“Sorry, Daisy, but I don’t want to talk about that. I’m tired, and I only want to sleep. You’ll sleep in my bedroom, and I’ll sleep here, on the couch†he said, removing kindly Daisy’s hand from his cheek.

In Enos bed, Daisy heard him tossing and turning on the couch, walking in the living room, switching on and off the light many times. Then, she heard a THUD. She went in the living room; he laid on the floor near the couch. She crossed her arms, staring at him: “Stop it, Enos. You can’t keep on with that all night long. You have to sleep. Come with me, honeyâ€.

Enos stared at her, worried:†Where, Daisy?â€

Daisy smiled:†In your bedâ€.

“But Daisy, I can’t let you sleep on the couch. You’re my guestâ€

â€Enos, I’m not telling you that I’m going to sleep on the couchâ€.

Enos blushed and fell again on the floor while he was trying to stand up. She laughed; she recognized the man she ever knew, but she couldn’t forget what had happened in Hazzard few months before, and she couldn’t forget his tears.

Daisy took kindly his arm:†Oh, Enos. Come onâ€.

They entered Enos bedroom; Daisy told him to lie down on his belly, then she sat gently on him, straddling his back, and began to massage his shoulders.

“Close your eyes, Enos. Relaxâ€

“It’s not so easy, Daisy†he sniggered.

But Daisy’s gentle touch relaxed his muscles; he whispered:†Sorry Daisy.... I yelled at you that day. Sorryâ€.

“Oh, Enos. It was my faultâ€, but he didn’t answer. His breath was light and regular; he was sleeping.

Daisy silently went in the living room to phone to uncle Jesse; she forgot to call him and her cousins when she arrived in Boston. Maybe they were worried.

When Uncle Jesse answered, she told him everything.

Uncle Jesse was worried ‘bout what Daisy was telling him. “You were right when you decided to go to Boston, Daisy. He needs youâ€.

“Uncle Jesse, I’ll try to help him. I don’t want to see him crying anymoreâ€

“Where is Enos?â€.

“He’s sleeping in his bed. Good night, uncle Jesse. I’m very tired. I’m going to bed. I hope not to wake him, ‘cause it was difficult to put him to sleepâ€

Daisy returned in Enos bedroom, cuddling up to him under the blankets.

“He’s sleeping in his bed. Good night, uncle Jesse. I’m very tired. I’m going to bed. I hope not to wake him up, ‘cause it was difficult to put him to sleep�!

At the farm, Bo looked his uncle’s puzzled face. “What’s the problem, Uncle Jesse? What’s about Enos?â€

Uncle Jesse looked at his nephews:†Come on, boys. Prepare your baggage. We leave tomorrowâ€

Enos was returning to his apartment after a day spent with Mason and his collagues: they were making a plan to arrest John and Daniel Grey. They didn’t want fail; they can’t fail; especially he didn’t have fail.

He didn’t like his collagues (they knew he had been transferred ‘cause there were doubts about his skill, and they didn’t trust him), and that day he worked also with Mason. What a bad day.

That evening the train was very crowded, and he was stuffed like a sardine in a can. He was very tired when he arrived to his apartment.

“Why isn’t there an elevator in a seven floor building?†he sighed “That’s why the rent is so cheap†he sighed again.

He was very glad that Daisy was there. Last night, after Mason’s visit, if Daisy hadn’t been with him, he didn’t know what he would have made. He blushed remembering that they had slept in the same bed. When he left his apartment, in the morning, Daisy was still sleeping.

“I’m homeâ€; when he opened his apartment’s door, he met the second surprise in two days.

Around the table there were Bo, Luke and Uncle Jesse, while Daisy was cooking.

They were his best friends, his family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone want to participate in this reunion?

Enos was returning to his apartment after a day spent with Mason and his collagues: they were making a plan to arrest John and Daniel Grey. They didn’t want fail; they can’t fail; especially he didn’t have fail.

He didn’t like his collagues (they knew he had been transferred ‘cause there were doubts about his skill, and they didn’t trust him), and that day he worked also with Mason. What a bad day.

That evening the train was very crowded, and he was stuffed like a sardine in a can. He was very tired when he arrived to his apartment.

“Why isn’t there an elevator in a seven floor building?†he sighed “That’s why the rent is so cheap†he sighed again.

He was very glad that Daisy was there. Last night, after Mason’s visit, if Daisy hadn’t been with him, he didn’t know what he would have made. He blushed remembering that they had slept in the same bed. When he left his apartment, in the morning, Daisy was still sleeping.

“I’m homeâ€; when he opened his apartment’s door, he met the second surprise in two days.

Around the table there were Bo, Luke and Uncle Jesse, while Daisy was cooking.

They were his best friends, his family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone want to participate in this reunion?

Can I help you out with this reunion?

Enos stopped near the door.

He wondered why Uncle Jesse, Bo and Luke were there. Daisy didn’t tell him they were coming; he looked at her, and he understood that also Daisy was surprised to see her cousins and her uncle.

Uncle Jesse looked at Enos, thinking ‘bout Daisy’s call. Also Bo and Luke knew everything.

Enos realized that everyone knew ‘bout what was happening, ‘bout Mason and ‘bout his crisis.

They never had talked about what had happened in the spring; Enos had avoid them and then he had left Hazzard.

Enos sat at the table, waiting for uncle Jesse words.

Cue Julieduke....... (or anyone else).

Enos stopped near the door.

He wondered why Uncle Jesse, Bo and Luke were there. Daisy didn’t tell him they were coming; he looked at her, and he understood that also Daisy was surprised to see her cousins and her uncle.

Uncle Jesse looked at Enos, thinking ‘bout Daisy’s call. Also Bo and Luke knew everything.

Enos realized that everyone knew ‘bout what was happening, ‘bout Mason and ‘bout his crisis.

They never had talked about what had happened in the spring; Enos had avoid them and then he had left Hazzard.

Enos sat at the table, waiting for uncle Jesse words.

Cue Julieduke....... (or anyone else).

Bo says "Enos when you was going to tell us about Mason and what was happening and you're a good friend to the family that's all."

Luke says "So, this is Boston nice city sure is nice to see ya again and where's the elevator in the building at Enos."

Cue Anybody.