His Prison, Her Prison pt. 2

Okay, so I've opened a new thread because the last one gave me an error.

~~~~~

A sudden scream awoke Enos from a relatavly nice dream. He climbed out of the bed with something he was sure didn't resemble grace of any kind and staggered over to Bo. "Bo?" He asked, "What is it? What's wrong?"

Bo's face twisted in pain, "It hurts." He said through gritted teeth.

"Oh," Enos said in realization, Doc Michaels had told him that there was a good chance Bo would experience severe cramps. The thought of his friend going through the kind of pain the doctor described made Enos want to break down and cry in sympethy. But it wasn't like he could afford that, Bo needed him more than he ever had. "Bo...the cholera's givin' you cramps..."

Bo sank back onto his bed finally in remission from the cramps and breathing heavily. "Enos?" He asked, "When's it gonna stop? When are they gonna quit torturing me..."

~She-Wolf

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enos sighed and gently took one of Bo's hands, squeezing it.

"I dunno....as soon as ya get better I suppose...and that'll be quicker if ya actually try and fight this thing Bo...."

Bo grimaced and turned his head away, closing his eyes for a moment before looking up to his barred windows and whispering quietly.

"What if I don't want to get better Enos...what's left for me except goin' back to my cell once I'm here.."

Enos had to stop himself running away there and then, it was so difficult to hear his friend speaking like he was, like there was no hope left in the world for him.

"Ya got Parole maybe coming up soon..."

Bo snorted.

"Oh yeah...great....what's out there for me? Even less than what's here for me in this hell....my family's gone, Luke is as good as dead....seriously Enos what is there worth living for now?"

Enos found himself swallowing but unable to answer...he just couldn't think of a response to that that would give Bo the strength he needed to carry on...he needed to see another friendly face besides his so he knew there were other people still supporting him...and the only person he could think of he knew didn't believe Bo was guilty was Cooter....at least he hoped Cooter still didn't believe it...

More waves of pain washed over Bo. Mostly in his back, stomach, and legs, not so much in his arms but that was taken care of by the slices the cuffs had given him. What did he do to deserve any of this?

It was so funny how seconds can change fates. Bo knew if he'd only hesitated for a moment then maybe he would have seen it was Luke. Or Luke would have seen the figure with the tire iron and dodged to the side.

"Bo..." Enos said softly, "I gotta go make a call..."

Another wave of pain came over Bo and he tried to bite back the scream. And instead managed it to come out sounding like a grunt. He only nodded, afraid that if he spoke that scream would escape. Enos left his side and out into the hall to the phone there.

Bo looked down at his side, the IV dripping anti-bacterial into his body, killing off the infection. And he realized how easy it would be just to pull the needle out and let the disease flourish again.

He didn't want this...he was tired of fighting. First he was fighting the loneliness and pain from being locked up, now this, ontop of that. And fightng the grim realization that his family no longer loved him. Why should they, whether or not he intended too he might as well have killed Luke.

As much as he contemplated it, Bo didn't really know why he didn't decide end his fight...

~She-Wolf

Enos quietly slipped outside to the pay phone and dialled the number for Cooter's garage, quickly getting through to the mechanic and explaining everything, releieved to find that Cooter was still on Bo's side too....what Bo needed though was his family...

"Enos!"

Enos whirled round to find Daisy and Jesse hurrying down the hallway to him. The deputy found himself rubbing his eyes at the sight...this couldn't be right...not after 4 years...

"Daisy? Jesse?"

Daisy nodded and flung her arms round Enos' neck, crying softly as Jesse asked.

"Where is he? where's my boy?"

Enos gently unwrapped Daisy's arms and held her hand gently.

"Thank god yer both here...c'mon he's in so much pain and I don't know what ta do about it....he really needs ya now...he's giving up..."

without looking back at the two behind him he burst through the hospital doors and led the way to Bo, part yelling with joy.

"Bo! Bo ya got some visitors and ya really ain't gonna believe who it is!"

Bo had only closed his eyes, it wasn't really sleep, which was quite impossible due to the pain. But when Enos snapped him out of it he didn't open his eyes, "What is it Enos?" He asked through gritted teeth. He opened his eyes.

He didn't react at first, attributing it to dilusion. But it looked so real. Daisy was prettier than ever. From her blue eyes eyeliner ran a little...he had no idea why. She looked shaken up, like she'd just gotten really bad news. But it couldn't have been about him.

Uncle Jesse was just the same Bo remembered him.

Neither were smiling...if this was one of his dilusions they'd be smiling.

But there was no way it was real. What else did that leave?

"Oh god...Enos...am I dead?"

~She-Wolf

Enos was about to happily reply when Jesse shook his head and stepped forward, his heart breaking at the sight of his youngest who he had left alone for 4 years.

Bo was so painfully thin, even the muscles he had been working weren't looking that good either. His skin was so pale and it was obvious in those blue eyes that he was in so much pain it was taking all of his strength not to scream because of it.

He noticed also the bandages wrapped tightly around his wirsts and took a hand gently, rubbing his thumb over the back and leaning over to use his other hand to wipe away the blonde locks on his forehead. He smiled softly, tearily, at Bo and shook his head.

"Ya ain't dead.....we're really here....both me an' Daisy an'....we love ya son...and we're so very sorry for abandonin' ya....we understand if ya don't want ta see us ever again after all we's obviously put ya through but....but we needed ya to know that we're so sorry and we do love ya and....Luke's woken up too...."

Daisy and Enos watched from the sidelines, Daisy being too ashamed and feeling so guilty at the state her younger cousin was in all she could was hug Enos again and bury her head in his shoulder.

Bo felt a knot in his chest. He was afraid to reach out and touch the figure before him, for fear that if he did he'd wake up like he always did. "But..." Bo stammered, "No...I..." Until finally it sank in.

They were really here.

He didn't try to speak anymore, he just gathered a strength he had no idea he had and hugged his Uncle Jesse. And that warmth, that warmth he'd spent night after night trying to recreate in his mind, washed over him. Suddenly, the pain no longer mattered, all his fighting. It suddenly felt like it was for something.

"We're sorry Bo..." Uncle Jesse whispered again, "I don't know if you'll ever understand how sorry we are."

As Bo sank back from the hug into the pillow, he smiled, "I reckon we all got things to be sorry for..." Tears threatened to fall and his voice began to crack up somethin' fierce. "I...I never thought I'd see you again...after you left...I...I thought you hated me."

"Bo..." A voice so soft Bo could barely hear her. Daisy took a step closer to his bed. But she still stayed away, "...I'm so sorry..." Suddenly, she turned and ran out of the room and down the hall.

"Daisy!" Enos called to her and went after her.

~She-Wolf

Jesse watched as Enos ran after Daisy, knowing that Bo needed him more so now. Enos could help Daisy. The words Bo had spoken tore at his heart and made him wrap his youngest in his arms once more like a small child.

"I'm sorry Bo...ya ain't never gonna know how truly sorry I am....I love ya son, I love ya and I miss ya....can ya forgive an old man fer his mistakes? I know ya may not want ta....after everythin'....but I'll be here from now on Bo...I'll be here I promise...."

Daisy fled from the room. After all that, she couldn't bring herself to face her cousin. He was lying there, in that hospital bed, pale, sick, and those marks on his wrists. He'd tried to kill himself....He'd tried to kill himself and it was all her fault.

She didn't feel like she deserved to ever stand in the same room with him again. It had taken everything she had just to say she was sorry.

If she had just listened too him, if she hadn't been so ignorant he wouldn't be like this. He wouldn't have had to suffer through four years of prison by himself.

Her run down the hall was brought to an abrupt end as somebody stepped out of the door to the nurses station. She crashed into him. Actually, she more bounced off of him than crashed into him. "What's wrong?" He asked.

She recocnized his voice, he was the doctor she'd spoken too on the phone. Doc Michaels. "I..." She stuttered, but only lost all strength to stand and if he hand't had a hand on each of her shoulders she would have sank to the ground completely.

"Daisy!" Enos called, he rounded the corner and bent over from trying to catch up with her, "You're fast...why'd you run."

Apparently Michaels took a cue. "Deputy...I think Beaureguard isn't the only one who needs help." he pretty much handed Daisy to Enos. Leaving her to cry on the deputy's shoulder until she was ready to talk.

~She-Wolf

Enos gently helped Daisy into a seat in the waiting room, letting her cry until she was finally able to manage to sob out a few words.

"Bo...so...ill....tried ta kill himself...all my fault...how could I....ain't fair on him...."

Enos rocked her softly, all usual thoughts of love and how pretty Daisy was banished from his mind, realizing Daisy needed as much support as Bo did right now.

"Daisy.....one thing he didn't try and kill himself. He was handcuffed to the bed and when he was delerious he kind of tried to throw his hands up and the cuffs dug in....he didn't do it on purpose Daisy...and....and with all the evidence and how upset ya were...I don't blame ya fer believing what happened...and i don't rekon Bo will either....he'll just be glad he's got ya back is all....please don't cry so Daisy...."

She looked up at him, the tears still fell but she wasn't sobbing uncontrollably. Enos didn't know if she was trying to guage whether he was lying or not.

"I can't face him Enos...I can't look at him without knowing I'm responsible for how he is."

Enos frowned, this was the roughest day of his life. He tried to remind himself that Bo was having a much harder time. But there was no denying the last twenty four hours had taken their toll on him as well. In the last day he'd witnessed more suffering than he had in his entire life. "Daisy," He'd also had to give more motivational speeches then he had in his entire life. "You made a mistake...you're only human. The important thing is that you do all you can for him now."

~She-Wolf

Daisy nodded and huddled into Enos, still feeling so terribly guilty but knowing what Enos said was true. But how could she give Bo the support he needed when all she could do at that moment was balme herself so totally...even jesse had had his doubts on whether Bo was guilty but she hadn't...she had become convinced every day that Bo had pruposly tried to kill Luke...had abandoned her family member without a second thought....

^^^^

The guard stepped uneasily over to Bo's bed, fidgiting a little.

"I'm uh....I'm real sorry but....but doc says you's getting better so I's...I's have ta put these back on...I'm sorry....regulations and all."

Bo frowned but nodded, "Sure."

As the guard slapped the cuffs back on and walked back out the door, the pain in is wrists skyrocketed. But it didn't matter anymore. His family believed him.

"It's alright Bo...you won't have to deal with this much longer."

"Yeah, I have parole coming up next year."

His Uncle Jesse frowned, "Didn't you hear a word I told you? Luke told us that's why we're here! He's awake."

VVVVV

As Daisy and Enos were in the hall leading to the infirmiry, she leaned on him. Incredibly grateful for the support he'd offered her.

No, forget the support he'd offered her, but the support he'd offered all of them, especially Bo. They were extremely lucky to have a friend like him.

A shout came from up ahead. They exchanged glances and Enos looked worried for a second. Daisy smiled, "I guess Bo just found out Luke woke up."

~She-Wolf

Bo yelled in surprise, wanting nothing more than to grab Uncle Jesse and shake his shoulders, wanting to check it was true.

"WHAT?!"

^^^^^^

Daisy smiled a little, hugging Enos more before turning to him.

"Thank you so much fer all yer help Enos...fer believing in Bo and all....Luke woke up and tol' us this all is a big mistake...he can't say anythin' but Bo's name at the moment so it took us a while to figure it out but....but he tol' ua....we're hoping to get Bo out of here sooner than in a year with Luke testifying that he didn't do it...."

Enos grinned that big, goofy grin he was so famous for. "Possum on a gum bush! That's fantastic."

Wow, things were finally looking up for Bo. And it actually looked like everything was going to be alright. Amazing, considering that just the night before Enos had been fighting for Bo's life. And how just that morning Bo had been forsaking all hope. His friend had been on the verge of surrender of a final kind.

They might even have a chance at what they had before.

"Enos," Daisy asked.

"Yeah, Daisy?"

She leaned over and planted a delicate kiss on his cheek, "Thank you, thank you for everything."

~She-Wolf

Enos blushed heavily as Daisy kissed him and he suddenly became very aware of how close they were. He shifted a little after Daisy's kiss, grinning still

"awww heck Daisy...tweren't nothin'....just tryin' ta help out my friends is all...s'least I could do ta help with...with Bo bein' all alone and...and with you all upset....I care for ya all Daisy....I care lots for you all Daisy..."

^^^^

Bo listened carefully as Jesse repeated the words....Luke was alive....he was alive after everything that had happened....after thinking that his cousin was as good as dead Luke was actually awake....

he quickly sat up, which proved to be a bad idea as pain shot through hims again in all areas of his body and he had ot grit his teetch and scrunch up his eyes to keep from yelling out loud again. he managed as he panted between the waves to make it clear what he needed.

"want....see...Luke...."

"Take it easy." Uncle Jesse said softly, pained to see his youngest writhing in all kinds of pain, "He's awake, but the doc want to run some more tests and get his strength up before he can come and visit. But now he can testify...you won't have to stay here much longer."

Bo sank back into his bed, a big grin on his face, "I'm glad...I'm glad he's awake...Y'know, when Enos told me there was a good chance Luke wouldn't wake up, I lost anything resembling hope." Bo broke off in a pained laugh, "I recon I underestimated that thick head of his, eh?"

Uncle Jesse grinned, he was sorry for how he'd treated his youngest, deeply so. All doubt of Bo's innocence vanished, Bo was purely happy that Luke was awake. He had never intended for anything to happen.

~She-Wolf

Bo's demeanour instantly changed through as he spoke about Luke, thought about what had happened that night. He just couldn't take anymore as he broke down into sobs, shaking his head

"It was horrible.....horrible....the crack as that...thing hit it head and....and the waitin' fer the ambulance and everyone ta turn up....he weren't movin'....wouldn't open his eyes....and...and that noise just stayed with me....I can't forget it.....it haunts me....."

Jesse watched with tears leaking from his own eyes as Bo turned his head to look at him hauntedly.

"I hate myself fer what i done....I hate myself....Uncle Jesse I hate myself!"

It took a lot for Uncle Jesse to bear seeing his youngest like that. Bo was in pain, both physical and emotional. He'd frankly won the whipping boy jackpot. "Bo, don't talk about it like that, he's forgivin' you for everything. The first thing he tried to do was ask how you were."

Bo's face suddenly twisted in pain, the cramps seemed to be getting worse instead of better, "Ah. It hurts..."

"It hurts, Bo, doc says it will hurt for a while."

"...Fantastic."

Well, on the bright side he was retaining a bit of his old sense of humor.

~She-Wolf

Bo tried desperatly to just ride the waves of pain as they came without a squeak, but as the time passed the cramps just seemed to get worse and worse until eventually he just couldn't do it anymore.

An hour later, Enos and Daisy who had been talking some more outside were brought running into the room along with Doc Micheals as a blood curdling scream was heard from the ward. They all ran into where Bo was to see Jesse keeping Bo's hands pinned to the bed so the cuffs wouldn't dig in as the muscles all over his body spasmed in pain, arching the young man off the bed, not able to do anything else except scream in pain, feeling unconciousness prick more at his vision.

Daisy quickly rushed to Bo's other side, gripping his hand tightly and speaking softly, tears streaking once more at the sight of Bo in so much pain.

"Bo...sugar the doctor's here...he's gonna do something ta help with this pain...."

Well...she hoped so...Bo couldn't take much more of this...

"Can't you give him a sedative or something?" Enos asked Michaels.

"A sedative wouldn't do much good, he'd still be in pain, he'd only be asleep."

Michaels places his hands on his desk, trying to think of something to take the boy's pain away. He couldn't carry painkillers, some of the inmates were there because they were junkies and they didn't want to give them any reason to break out to get them. But as a doctor, it pained him to see his patient like that.

Another scream filled the room. And Mihaels flinched. He knew the cramps would persist for at least another twenty four hours. At least. They could go on longer...

But there had to be something he could do?

~She-Wolf

Bo's fingers spasmed tightly round Daisy's hand, clecnching and unclenching with each close together wave, accompnaying the screams that now tore from his throat.

Enos couldn't stand it as he saw the Doc struggling with what to do. Finally he broke the scream filled silence and turned to the doctor.

"Doc...can't ya transfer him to the hospital Luke's in? I mean, it might do him better to be nearer his cousin anyhow and they can treat him better than in here where ya ain't allowed ta give him anythin'!"

Daisy could do nothing but watch Bo writh and stiffen in pain, trying to get through to him and keep him calm, which wasn't actually working as Bo couldn't appear to hear them.

Michaels remained quiet, thinking.

"Doc!?" Enos said inpatiently.

Well, the boy wasn't dangerous from what Michaels could gather. But the administration would throw a hissy fit if they knew he'd sent the boy to the same hospital his "victim" resided in.

Nonetheless, he'd heard about a doctor in New Jersey who took a man charged with four counts of first degree murder to a teaching hospital based on the fact that they had better resources there. He could make a simular claim, that Beaureguard needed treatment that he couldn't offer due to the rules and regulations of a prison system.

It was a reason, a good one, but chances were pretty good he'd lose his job for this. As another scream tore through the room he knew it was worth it; the pain alone would kill the boy. Finally he nodded, "I'll arrange for the transfer immdiatly..."

~She-Wolf

Enos whooped with delight and practically ran back over to the bed, skidding to a halt next to Daisy and leaning over so Bo could hear him better.

"Bo...listen....Doc's transfering you to the hospital where Luke is. Just hang on alright buddy..."

Bo was able to just nod his head in the momentary silence, still tense and shaking, before another wave of pain ripped through and he screamed out loud again, Jesse pressing hard down on his hands to keep them and the wrists pinned safley to the bed.

"C..can't...stay...aw...ak..e"

Daisy stroked his hair and spoke panickingly....should Bo be falling asleep?

"No...Bo you have to stay with us....c'mon you have to stay awake."

But before the plea could finish, Bo had slipped into unconciousness, his muscles still spasming, now trapped in a black world of pain.

The arrangments for the transfer took some time. Although what normally would have taken four hours Michaels managed it in two. The fact he'd done residency there and had a couple people who owed him favors.

It was true he liked his job, that was true. His father had been sent to prison because of a mistake; at least that's what his mother had always told him. It wasn't much really, a three and a half year sentence. They still had lots to look forward to as a family. That was until a prison riot took his father's life.

A baton from one of the guards had shattered the skull, resulting in a massive subdural himatoma: massive bleeding from the brain between the brain and the skull. His father had died in prison.

From what he could tell it was no fault of the doctor working there, but he always found himself wanting to keep simular things from happening to other people.

Cases like Beaureguard Duke were why he was a doctor, and why he'd taken the path he had. Looking at the boy's family reminded him of himself and his mother in a way.

His job was worth families like that getting their loved one back.

~She-Wolf