Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straightening up Luke turns around to face Bo sitting like that was making all the blood rush to his head and making him woozy. Frowning at Bo but there's a humorous twinkle in his eye at least he got Bo to laugh that sound had been missing way too long and he just wanted to make things better and keep it close to the surface as it had always been.

"Ha ha funny......you's askin for trouble if you keep up with the smart aleck remarks"

Turning serious again Luke's eyes take on a pleading look he has to know what else is bothering Bo so they can try to fix it.

"You gonna tell me what else is on your mind?...."

Luke sighs there has been so much to get used to lately

"Yeah I know but you will....we will...."

It finally sinks in that Bo's resigning himself to always having bad health and being limited. That isn't Bo at all to give up that easy none of the Duke's had ever give up that easy. Uncle Jesse had come out of a coma a few years back despite the doctor's saying there was a good chance he wouldn't because of his age. Luke also remembers when they were on the NASCAR circuit getting a call from Daisy saying Uncle Jesse had gotten hurt by a couple of bank robbers and was blind. He'd come through that too not letting it stop him just slowed things down for a while.

Sitting up straighter he gives Bo a fiercely determined look voicing his thoughts

"Bo this all sounds like ya resignin yaself to always being sick,where's your Duke fighting spirit?"

Taking Bo's hand and getting within inches of Bo's face Luke pierces him with a determined look.

"Duke's don't give up, so don't you dare...do you hear me Beaureguard James Duke don't you give up not now you've come so far you can lick this I know you can cos your a Duke with Duke stubborness."

Luke had done it again. Seen straight through everything Bo was telling him and finding the root of the problem. But this time, there was nothing Luke could say that would make Bo change his mind about how he was feeling.

"Luke...I ain't...I can't....."

He bites his lip and looks away, looking anywhere but at Luke.

"I cna't fight no more Luke....I dont have anythin' left ta fight with. This has all just been....one bad thing after another....and....I dont wanna be disappointed no more....i cant stand it...."

Luke bows his head running his fingers through his hair,he remembered those same feelings back in Vietnam as a P.O.W he thought for sure he wasn't going to make it home. Unwilling to give up though he looks back at Bo who won't even look at him now. His eyes welling with tears and pleading as he chokes out

"Please Bo... don't give up,we can do... anything together and we can win this too.... I ain't givin up! Please Bo just let me help you fight.... this just a little longer I can't go through the rest of my life without you by me fightin the system,racin,wreckin Rosco and Enos.... If you don't at least try you're giving up on.... both of us and I'll be danged if I let you do that!"

Luke sighs dejectedly this is by far the hardest thing he can remember them going through in a long time. Turning back around to face his own bed Luke leans his head back on Bo's bed tiredly,he's too tired to fight anymore either at least right now. Climbing to his feet Luke places a hand on Bo's head,he needs to talk to someone else and get a fresh respective on all this.

"I'm gonna go check to see how much longer till supper,you just rest."

Bo nodded, turning his head so it buried into his pillow, knowing the real reason why he was leaving him alone, seeing it in his cousin's face....he wasn't sure about all this either.

Daisy noticed how the low mumbling had stopped, she had heard Bo's full name being used and looked over with raised eyebrows to Jesse and B.L

Luke leaves the room closing the door quietly. Dragging his feet down the hall Luke goes into the kitchen not looking at any of them sinking dejectedly and forlornly into a chair with a deep sigh.

Jesse shakes his head at Daisy's questioning look he didn't know what was going on either. The boys must be having an argument he figures. As Luke comes into the kitchen and drops into the diningroom chair Jesse glances over at him from over his shoulder but having seen that look many times before Jesse leaves Luke with his own thoughts.

B.L. shrugs her shoulders at Daisy she didn't have a clue but as Luke comes into the kitchen and sits down it's clear that something is wrong the easy smile that was there earlier is gone. She looks back at Daisy raising her own eyebrows as if asking now what?

"Sure Daisy"

Luke follows Daisy quietly out the door,depressed and morose.

Jesse watches them go sadly, silently asking the lord above what's happening to his family.

B.L. stares out the window as Luke and Daisy cross the yard,looking over at Uncle Jesse she sighs he looks 10 years older and so sad. Getting up from the table she pats his arm smiling as he turns to smile back at her.

"I'm gonna go check on Bo"

He nods silently stirring the pot on the stove. B.L. quietly leaves the kitchen her head down,at the end of the hall knocking softly on the closed bedroom door.

"Bo it's B.L. can I come in?"

B.L. jumps slightly at the shout,gently opening the door she goes to sit on the edge of the bed beside Bo's prone form. Not touching him or saying anything just letting her presence be known waiting for Bo to say something if he's ready and if not she'll just wait offering what comfort she can by just being there.

Luke sinks to a bale of hay covering his face with his hands shaking his head not answering Daisy's question but asking one of his own. All the emotions that has run through him in the space of little over a week had drained him physically and he just didn't have the strength to keep going.

"What's right Daisy?"

Bo sighed softly and rolled onto his side, still wary about them seeing his back, not knowing they already knew.

"I'm sorry 'bout earlier...I just....I was tired and upset is all..."

Daisy sank down beside Luke and wrapped her arms round his shoulders, letting him lean into her, sensing he needed someone to support him for once.

"Well a lot of things.....tell me what isn't..."

B.L. smiles at Bo a pang of sadness going through her at the scared look in his eyes now so different from the smile when she and Daisy had gotten home from the Boars Nest.

"It's ok Bo,it ain't the first time we've had an argument and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last."

Luke leans his head on Daisy's shoulder for once letting his gotta take care of everybody else attitude slip to let someone else take care of him.

"Bo......he's convinced he may be sick the rest of his life. He was doing so well and in high spirits. Then he tripped and fell when he was helping do the chores."

Glances up at Daisy noticing a slight worry crease across her brow at the mention of Bo doing chores.

"He wasn't doing much don't worry I was watchin him the whole time. He just wants things to be normal like before so bad and he was overtired and tripped and it scared me when he hit his head and I forced him into going inside to rest thats when he started asking was he ever gonna be ok again."

Sniffing a little Luke raises his head looking at Daisy with the most miserable look a man could wear.

"I couldn't promise this time Daisy cos I don't know and I can't do a damn thing about it."

"It didn't give me no excuse to yell at ya like I did....I know you's was only tryin' ta help...."

He reached over and took B.L's hand in his.

"Can ya forgive me?"

Daisy sat in silence for a moment, trying to comprehend how Bo's high spirits had suddenly turned into such a depressing state. Giving up was just not like Bo at all, he was always the first one to leap headfirst into anything and everything without a shadow of a doubt that it would work. She could see why this sudden change would affect Luke so....heck it affected her a little bit too....

"Oh Luke....all you can do is be there for him.....keep supportin' him like you were today....I mean look at how happy you made him! I rekon he even forgot that he was sick just 'cause you was treatin' him like he everythin' was fine! The reason he's probably thinkin' like this is the kinda....sharp reminder that everythin' ain't exactly ok."

She stopped for a moment, seeing Luke was working through everything she was saying, letting it sink in before she continued.

"We all know that your the only one who can make Bo feel like that, feel like everythin' is just....well for lack of a better word sugar...perfect. You and him are so close that sometimes me and Uncle Jesse wonder if you's conjoined at the hip or somethin'.....you can help him Luke, better than any of us or any medicine can, just by treatin' him like ya did today, like an equal and yet look out fer him at the same time...."

B.L. squeezes Bo's hand just a little,all the tenderness between them is a new turn in their relationship. They've always been partners in crime when upto so mischief but right now Bo just wasn't upto that. Smiling she squeezes his hand again.

"I was trying to help.......I was also being nosey ya know me I hafta know everything that's going on if I get the slightest hint that somethin is goin on.....*laughs a little* ya know curiosity killed the cat."

Her eyes twinkle with mischief to come

"Of course I forgive ya"

Luke reaches for Daisy's hand holding it between both of his,she made sense but he still felt helpless. He was like Bo just so tired but unlike Bo his tiredness was physical more than mental and both could be greatly improved with a week or two's goodnight's rest.

"How'd you get so wise Daisy girl?...I want to keep fightin I told Bo as much that I'd be there with him the whole way....but he just don't want to says he's tired and I guess he is anybody would be after what he's been through only to have one set back after another."

Giving Daisy the same intense look he'd given Bo earlier some of the determination is shining in Luke's eyes again.

"I ain't givin up Daisy I just ain't....I guess I'm just tired and Bo's sudden attitude change just got to me....but it ain't nothin that a week's worth of worry free sleep won't fix."

Pulling the handkerchief wrapped syringe from his pocket showing it to Daisy

"Bo pulled this outta the stove up at that old abandoned shack of Mr. Flatt's when we was racin around Mudd Flatts. I'm gonna get Doc Appleby to send it to atlanta to be analyzed see if it's some sort of drug or maybe like the doctor at the hospital said a disease they injected inta Bo that gave him the chest infection."

Bo smiled slightly, sighing.

"Thanks B.L...."

Daisy smiled and laughed slightly.

"I ain't wise, just had years of listenin' to Uncle Jesse givin' you two lectures."

She looked and gasped as Luke held up the syringe.

"What in god's name was that doin' up at the old shack and how did Bo know that was there?"

B.L. smiles as she hugs Bo happy that things are ok between them again. Pulling back from him she takes a deep breath thinking best how to ask what's going on with him and Luke that made him look so scared again and Luke look so miserable.

"Bo what's goin on between you and Luke he looked like he'd lost his best friend when he came in the kitchen?"

Luke laughs at Daisy's comment before he swipes a hand down his face pulling in a shaky breath remembering how Bo was lost in his own world in that cabin.

"That's where them varmits held Bo captive....this either had drugs or somethin to cause the chest infection in it before they gave it to Bo. I'm gonna get Doc Appleby to send it to Hotlanta to be analyzed and find out which."

Bo swallowed and sighed a little, there were so many things going on that he really didnt want to have to go through again, but he felt that she at least deserved to know a little what was happening.

"It's just....I'm...I'm scared of being like this for the rest of my life....which is a possibility....I told Luke that I....well I just cant fight this no more...when it comes down to me livin' like this then....I ain't gonna try and change it....I dont have it in me no more...."

Daisy gasped in shock.

"You went to the place they held him captive? Oh gods Luke, was he alright with that? Why don't you run over to Doc's after supper?"

B.L. bites her bottom lip this doesn't sound at all like the Bo she's known all her life. It breaks her heart making her want to cry to hear him talk about giving up and just accepting things, she can't cry though Bo doesn't need that he needs her and everyone else to be strong for him right now.

Moving to the floor on her knees with elbows propped on the bed still holding Bo's hand B.L. gives Bo what his affectionately known within the family and really close friends as a Bo kiss. Her voice tender and barely above a whisper

"Hey what's this you giving up.....I know your scared Bo heck you'd be crazy not to be it's been pure hell for you lately. *holding her fingers just less than an inch apart asking* don't you have just a little fight left for Luke's sake if noone else? You don't have to fight alone Luke's there and so's Uncle Jesse and Daisy they'll all be there to always pick up the pieces just like everytime before."

Luke nods sighing

"He wanted to go.....he wasn't ok though he was in a daze just walking through the one room touching things and staring into space. It scared me to see him like that,God only knows what all they did to him that he may not even remember."

Rewrapping the syringe Luke puts it back in his pocket

"Yeah I think I will go see Doc after supper so's he can get it sent off to Atlanta sooner."

Bo shook his head tirdley and sadly, tears pricking again.

"I can't...I just can't....B.L the whole fight in the hospital was...I can't go through that again...it took so much outta me, that I don't even know i'll be able to get back...."

Daisy felt a tear slip from her eye but quickly brushed it away, knowing she needed to be strong for Luke.

"Do you want me to come with ya?"

B.L. nods Bo doesn't need to be pushed right now he's tired she can clearly tell. Sighing she hopes he has a change of heart by tomorrow it just isn't right to give up like he is. Taking hold of both hands this time she squeezes them smiling

"It's ok Bo....you just do what you can nobody knows your limits but you. But think about this for a minute you wouldn't have come this far so quick if the good Lord wasn't going to make you better."

Luke gulps then smiles at Daisy

"Would ya? I can't help Bo by myself right now I hate to admit it cos I'm supposed to be the strong one for you and Bo but I need help this time almost as much as Bo."

Bo bit his bottom lip and looked away

"Yeah well....I dont have a lot of faith in him at the moment..."

Daisy nodded and wrapped gentle arms round her older cousin.

"You can't be strong all the time sugar....if you need help I'm always here and so is Bo most of the time....don't go through everythin' alone.....of course I'll come with ya, I promise."