Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke turns to face Bo leaning against Jesse's chest exhausted from the emotions and the effects of the shine he didn't know B.L. had put in his hot chocolate. Shuttering as Bo continues to tremble.

Doc Appleby checks Bo once more before looking across the bed at Jesse motioning toward the door.

"Jesse can I talk to you privately out in the hall a minute."

Luke gives the doctor a baleful look not liking that he's being excluded on the conversation about Bo's condition.

"I want to know what's going on!"

The doctor smiles kindly at Luke knowing his next request will placate the young man

"Luke I need you to stay with Bo I don't want him left by himself for now."

Luke nods grudgingly but knows his place is with Bo.

Jesse nodded at the Doc, pleased that he seemed to accept the Doc's excuse for not telling him what was going on with Bo without question. Jesse on the other hand suspected that the news he was going to get wasn't going to be the best...

He headed out the room with a gentle pat to Luke's shoulder and stood out in the corridor, motioning for B.L to take Daisy outside or something for a little while while him and the doctor had a talk.

Luke sits watching Bo much calmer now but still trembling.

B.L. pulls Daisy to her feet and they head out the door not giving Daisy a chance to protest

"let's get some air it's kinda stuffy in here"

On the porch B.L. gently pushes Daisy down onto the swing before sitting next to her in the cool night breeze.

Once the girls are out of the house the Doc Appleby turns to Jesse with a worried frown before plunging into his tale of what's happening the best he knows.

"Jesse I wish I had more answers but I don't right now,all I know for sure is Bo's got a high fever and I believe his aggitation is an effect of delirium as a result of that fever. The valium I gave him will keep him,

hopefully he'll rest and that will improve his condition but I can't guarantee it."

Giving Jesse a few minutes to absorb all he's been told the doctor then continues.

"I'm worried about Luke also,I've known him since he was a small boy and that frightened,worried emotional young man in there is not Luke. He's exhausted himself but knowing Luke as I do he'll refuse rest as long as he thinks Bo needs him. But Jesse he's got to rest or he's going to be sick himself and of no help whatsoever to Bo,I'd like to sedate him just for tonight I believe that's the only way he'll rest but I know he's not going to allow that,he's in no frame of mind to make such decisions in my professional opinion."

The doctor studies Jesse as he take in everything he's been told thinking how he too could use rest himself but knows that Jesse won't be as unsensible as Luke is being so he's not worried about having to resort to drugging his old friend.

As the doctor reeled off what he believed to be happening to Bo, Jesse nodded.

"I thought as much....Luke said that that's what he thought was happenin'....he's seen it in the Marine's..."

He looked back to the room and thought carefully on what the Doc had said about Luke. He didn't want to have to resort to drugging Luke again....but then again the Doc was right. With Bo as unstable as he was there was no chance of him even thinking about laying on his bed, let alone sleeping in it. He sighed softly and nodded.

"I know that too Amos....we've been trying to get Luke to sleep, but he refuses when Bo's like this....i'll try and keep him distracted while you do it, you're right, he is in no frame of mind to make this decision."

He motioned back to the room and stepped carefully inside again. Bo's eyes were now closed in sleep, but the trembling remained. He gently patted Luke's shoulder and pulled him up from his sitting position next to Bo, pulling him gently but firmly over to his bed and sitting him there, taking his wrists and holding them gently.

"Luke....listen to me a moment...."

Luke is startled as Jesse pulls him over to his own bed then takes hold of his wrists and he starts to shake uncontrollably with fear at what's coming next. A knot of dread forms in his stomach knowing he's going to be told something terrible. Shaking his head to dispel the first thought in his head he refuses to believe that Bo is dying,gulping several times trying to wet his suddenly dry mouth which is leaving him unable to speak. Finally he looks into Jesse's eyes asking with a shaky voice preparing himself as best he can for the worst but praying for better.

"What is it Uncle Jesse?.....what's wrong?"

Doc Appleby is purposely keeping his back to them as he pretends to be checking on Bo but is really drawing another dosage of valium for Luke.

Jesse shakes his head and keeps a firm grip on Luke's wrists, gently bringing him to lie down on the bed, smoothing the hair away from his eyes with one hand and holding his wrists in the other.

"Luke....the Doc's been able to calm Bo down now....he should be alright fer the rest of the night. He still ain't 100% sure what's the matter with him, but we should know by tomorrow. All we know is what you though was happening was correct, he's delerious 'cause of the fever."

Jesse swallowed and and gently smiled at his oldest, hating what they were about to do, but knowing it was for his own good. If Luke took to being ill as Bo had done, then there was no way that Bo would be able to fight anything, he needed Luke, that much was clear.

"The only problem is, we's need ya to calm down and get some sleep..."

Luke shakes his head vehmently struggling against Jesse's hold to sit up again.

"No Uncle Jesse let go I can't not till Bo's ok....... *tears welling in his eyes as he's unable to break the hold*....please Uncle Jesse don't I gotta make sure Bo's ok I'll follow B.L.'s plan for sittin in shifts I promise."

Doc crosses to the other bed laying a comforting hand briefly on Jesse's shoulder knowing how much this is hurting him but it's for Luke's own good. Pushing Luke's sleeve up past his elbow Doc eases the needle in his bicep pushing the plunger and administering the medication,watching pleased as Luke starts to calm immediately.

"You can let go Jesse he'll be out in just a few more minutes"

Luke glares at them his eyes still shining with tears as he struggles to stay awake.

"s'not fair ya fight dirty Uncle Jesse......"

Jesse swallowed, his own eyes shining with tears for his two nephews. He kept a firm hold on Luke as he struggled against him, wtaching heart broken as Luke tensed when the needle slipped under his skin. He gently let go of Luke's wrists as he instantly calmed and held onto one of Luke's hands, shaking his head and smoothing Luke's hair again.

"Luke....I'm sorry Luke but it's fer yer own good....if ya get sick then yer gonna be of no help ta Bo....no help at all and I can't be losin' the both of ya...."

He watched as Luke fought to stay awake and gently started humming an old lullaby to him, remembering how that had worked well in the hospital.

Luke can't stay awake against the humming it's just too great an effort and soon is sleeping soundly totally relaxed the worried crease from his brow gone for the time being as he slumbers dreamlessly.

Doc grips Jesse's shoulder supportively knowing his worry for Bo was hard on him but he'd cope with that but holding Luke down to be drugged was probably the hardest thing he's ever done.

"They'll be Ok Jesse let's get Bo's fever down, Luke'll sleep till sometime late in the morning most likely cos I gave him a good sized dose. You might say he's practically unconscience but he's not I assure you he's only sleeping,he'll probably sleep until late in the morning. Is the spare room available? I'd like to stay and keep an eye on Bo over night the fever and delirium has me worried quite a bit."

B.L. glances over at Daisy watching the other girl as her eyes begin to droop closed. Stopping the swing B.L. pulls Daisy to her feet

"C'mon I think you need to go to bed before you fall asleep here"

Guiding Daisy inside to her own room,the two getting ready for bed although B.L. isn't planning to sleep until she's sure everyone in the family is settled for the night.

Jesse watched Luke's sleeping form for a little bit before answering the Doc, praying that the good lord would forgive him for doing that to one of his children. He knew it was for Luke's own good....but he still felt so horribly guilty about it.

He looked up and smiled smiled thankfully at him, knowing the sleep would do Luke a world of good and also because he was offering to stay the night. He was about to ask Amos to do just that.

"Yes of course, its all set up as usual....thank you for this Amos....having you here should help no end."

Daisy didn't even try to protest as B.L led her indoors and into the quiet saftey of her room. She changed and crawled in between the sheets, snuggling down into their comforting warmth and quickly fell asleep.

Doc returns the smile he can already see how much his just being there has taken some of the burden from Jesse's shoulders

"Happy to be help Jesse you know them boys and Daisy mean almost as much to the rest of us as they do too you. I assume you've been sponging Bo off to try and bring down the fever. Will you get me some ice I think icepacks will have a better result in getting the fever down."

B.L. smiles as Daisy drifts off to sleep before slipping from the room heading down the hall to check on Bo and see if there's anything she can do to help.

Jesse nodded and pressed a gentle kiss to Luke's forehead before standing up and heading out the door, almost colliding with B.L as she walked in. He gently nodded his head before B.L could ask.

"Bo's doin' a little better....would ya come help me get some ice packs together so we's can bring his fever down a little?"

B.L. wraps her arm around Uncle Jesse's wasit as they head back down the hall into the kitchen.

"Sure.....Daisy's asleep so I thought I'd see what I could do to help."

In the kitchen she gets out a dishpan sitting it on the table to make the icepacks in,turning to the sink she pulls out a stack of dishtowels from the drawer to wrap the packs in.

"How's Luke he looked scared to death when Bo moaned"

While waiting for Jesse Doc finds a small bowl in the bathroom filling it with cool water and starts sponging Bo off while he waits for the ice.

Jesse headed over to the freezer and pulled out some ice, setting it in the dishpan and starting to make them.

"Luke's....not too great....we had to sedate him to get him ta sleep....he's exhausted and Doc thought he'd make himself sick if he stayed up any longer..."

He quickly started wrapping the ice up in the towels, sighing as he remember the hurt, scared look on Luke's face as he held him down.

Even though Bo was asleep, he still shuddered under the doctor's gentle touch, wincing slightly at every gentle dab.

B.L. puts the ice pack she just finished wrapping down going around the table and wrapping her arms around Jesse's waist when he sighs

"Luke's probably gonna be madder than a wet hen in tha mornin' at being sedated again but he'll get over it, 'sides it's what's best for him. Bo'll be ok too"

She supresses a sigh of her own at her last remark praying that it would indeed be true that Bo would be ok but right now she just didn't know and didn't really believe it. Making the last icepack she puts it in the dishpan with the others before looking up in Jesse's blue eyes with a soft smile,not really expecting him to comply with her request but it's true she isn't sleepy rather she's got nervous energy to burn at the moment.

"Why don't you try and rest Uncle Jesse I'll help Doc take of Bo I ain't sleepy yet."

Doc Appleby cringes at Bo's every wince,not feeling much if any change at all in the level of heat radiating from the young man's body. Trying Bo's fever again Doc is alarmed to see that it's went up rather than down and the thermometer now reads 104 degrees.

Jesse looked up and smiled gently at B.L.

"I will....but not right now. When I know Bo's settlin' down then maybe I will....but I's too nervous ta do much else right now. C'mon lets get these inta Bo..."

He rose gently from the table, picking up the dishpan and waiting for B.L.

Bo whimpered, rolling his head from side to side. His eyes remained closed but the slight whimper continued.

B.L. nods with a sigh as they leave the kitchen

"Ok just don't wear yourself out."

She goes down the hall ahead of Uncle Jesse opening the door for him and crossing the room to sit on the edge of Luke's bed gently,running a hand through his hair getting a soft sigh from him.

Doc takes the dishpan from Jesse as he enters the room,placing it on the nighttable before taking the icepacks out one at a time and placing one under each arm. Spreading the ice out inside the last one so that it's not as bulky as the other two places it under Bo's neck.

"Now we just wait till the ice melts,keeping his fever checked and continuing with the icepacks as needed."

Jesse nodded and ran a hand gently over Bo's fevered forehead, frowning slightly as he noticed the intensity of the heat had gone up. He shook his head and took his seat back beside Bo, taking the trembling hand in his and running his thumb along the back of it, whispering softly.

"Bo....come on now son....you can't do this to us....not so soon after beating this...don't give up now....please don't give up now..."

B.L. leans forward her elbows on her knees watching the gentle rise and fall of Bo's chest but that's the only movement to prove that he's still alive. Getting up from Luke's bed she sits in the floor by the bed at Uncle Jesse's knee leaving the other side of the bed for the doctor to work. Trying to stay strong for Uncle Jesse,B.L. makes an offer that any other time would flabbergast Bo and Luke both but doubts Bo can even hear them.

"C'mon Bo you can lick this thing and then we'll go to the Boar's Nest and I'll buy you all the beer you can drink."

Idly thinks if Bo can hear her she'd better be saving her tips so she can make good on her offer never before having enough money for more than a couple drinks.

B.L. giggles but it's not her usual infectious giggle but rather a sad imitation

"well maybe not all you can drink cos if ya pass out without Luke I'm not big enough ta put ya in my car and if ya puke in my car ya walkin home!"

Bo made no movement that signified that he had heard them or that he was even aware they were there. The only movement being his bare chest that rose steadly up and down, glinting with sweat.

Jesse shook his head and pressed the hand he was holding to his lips before placing it back on the bed.

"So how's this rota o'yours goin' ta work?"

B.L. looks up at Jesse then back over to Luke before looking up again.

"The idea was for you and Luke ta get as much sleep as possible that's why he had first watch and you last.....but seein as he's out for the count and Daisy's sleepin too I'll take double duty."

Doc Appleby nods approvingly as he hears the plan,thinking he'd have arranged it the same way.

"Sounds like a good schedule to me Jesse,I'll sit with ya a while honey then catch me a couple of hours after Bo's fever is down but I want ta keep a close check in case it goes up again."

B.L. smiles her thanks

"Sounds good Doc."

Jesse nodded, but still told her firmly

"Yeah but I don't want you over workin' yerself all the same.....we need everyone we can get at the moment but that dont mean you go negecting yer own health...."

With a slight wave he headed out the door, going to his room and settling on the bed, drifting off to sleep as he said a prayer to the lord above to keep his children safe....