Double Duke Trouble

BoJamesDuke

Back at the General Luke waits till B.L. is settled in the backseat before climbing behind the wheel. Once Daisy is ready to go he starts the car with a sigh.

"I wished Doc had come out tonight I don't think I can take much more myself *looks at Daisy sadly* and I know you and Uncle Jesse can't"

B.L. leans up putting her a hand on each of the Duke's shoulder squeezing supportively

"It'll be ok ya'll but I do think we should take turns sittin up with Bo tonight I just don't like his color he looked better in the hospital than he does now."

Luke reaches up clasping B.L.'s hand with his free one giving it a thankful sqeeze

"I think your right B.L. let's get home and tell Uncle Jesse what we found out then decide who's takin what shift with Bo."

Pulling away from the curb they head back toward the farm in the same silence as before.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daisy nodded at B.L's suggestion, looking wistfully back at the doctor's, wondering why on earth Luke didn't ask the doctor to come out that night. If it concerned Bo, Luke didn't usually care whether or not it inconvinienced somebody.

She watched as the farm got closer and closer, noticing sadly the lack of her younger cousin out on the porch. He loved the sunsets and the way the birds chirped in the cool evening breeze, and he often pulled one of them into sitting with him so they could enjoy it too until eventually the whole family was sat with him.

Bo was never really selfish at all....if there was something he enjoyed he would try and make sure everyone else enjoyed it too, more than once Bo had tried to get Daisy to take an interest in working on the General because he had deemed it so much fun and thought she should take an interest too.

In fact it had been Bo who was the most eager to teach her the things he loved, hunting with bows and arrows, driving Bo style....saying she missed all that now was indeed a drastic understatement.

She sighed gently as the General skidded to a halt into the yard and slid gently out the window, looking over the house and barn, waiting for Luke and B.L.

B.L. climbs out the passenger window to stand beside Daisy as Luke remains sitting in the General,dropping his head to the steeringwheel. After a few moments though he climbs out the driver's side window and the three friends trudge sadly to the house with B.L. between the two cousins an arm around each one's waist.

Inside Jesse had just returned to the livingroom from checking on Bo when the three come in the door. Entering the livingroom Luke sinks down on the edge of the coffeetable as Daisy goes to sit on the arm of Jesse's chair and B.L. leans against the wall.

"What'd Amos say?"

Luke sighs heavily before launching into the details

"He said he'd be more than happy to send the syringe off so's maybe we can find out what might be wrong with Bo and treat it. Daisy asked him ta come out and check Bo,he said he'd be here first thin' in tha mornin"

Jesse nods he'd liked for the doctor to come out tonight but knew that he too needed to rest.

"Uncle Jesse,B.L. thought it'd be a good idea if we's was to take turns sittin up with Bo tonight,me and Daisy agree. Daisy you take first watch,B.L. the second and I'll take third and you take the last Uncle Jesse."

Jesse listens patiently as Luke tells him about B.L.'s plan but bristles at the order of the watches he knows Luke is trying to give them all a chance to sleep as much as possible while he no doubt will stay awake even if they don't know it.

"Now Luke that ain't gonna leave you much time to sleep cos I know ya stubborn enough ta stay awake all night. Now you's aint slept more'n a few hours in over a week,I ain't gonna have you's exhaustin yaself and getting sick too you's got to sleep."

Luke shakes his head stubbornly he just can't

B.L. looks at the weary faces of the whole family then speaks her piece quietly but firmly.

"You's all need sleep so this is the way it is.....Luke you take the first 2 hours then Daisy the next 2,I'll take the next and then Uncle Jesse that'll leave you the last two and by that time it'll be close ta breakfast time anyway. Now I'm gonna fix us some hot chocolate that should relax everybody.

Jesse raises an eyebrow clearly irritated at being told what to do in that tone of voice but he doesn't dispute her knowing it's a way to get Luke to get some sleep maybe.

B.L. goes to the kitchen getting out a pan,milk and the cocoa and soon has 4 cups of steaming hot chocolate on a platter. Knowing where Uncle Jesse keeps a small bottle of shine for medicinal purposes she deems the situation so and gets it pouring some into Luke's mug of hot chocolate to relax him enough to sleep hopefully.

Daisy smiled at B.L as she swiftly took charge and told everyone what shifts were going to who. She would have liked it that she go last considering that Uncle Jesse was probably going to need to sleep more than the rest of them with the worry and pressure on his shoulders, but she knew better than tto say so.

She watched B.L for a moment and smiled gently as she watched B.L pour a little shine into Luke's mug. While Luke was exceptionally good at dodging sleep, there was nothing he could do to avoid the calming sensation you felt when you've drunk some of Jesse's finest. He was gonna be mad and irrate when he discovered that was what had happened....but it was worth it to get Luke sleeping.....she couldn't stand it if she lost her older cousin to some illness too.

She rose from her seat and sat next to Luke, wrapping her arm round his waist and leaning her head onhis shoulder, nuzzling into him with a sigh, knowing how worried he was for his younger cousin, even more so than she herself was. Bo and Luke were the double trouble dukes, the good ol' boys who helped anyone at any time for any reason. Luke was the plan maker, Bo was the getaway driver...what would happen if Bo never did recover from this....what would happen if he....reached the pearly gates....

Daisy shuddered slightly and tried to force that thought out of her mind.

B.L. thought of putting some shine in Uncle Jesse's drink as well but knew better than to do so, Luke's wrath when he discovered what she'd done would be nothing compared to what Uncle Jesse's would be. Smiling back at Daisy B.L. detected the worry lurking behind Daisy's eyes knowing she wasn't happy about something,giving her a wink B.L. makes a mental note to ask what's wrong.

B.L. hands out each one of them a mug of the warm drink before taking Daisy's seat on the arm of Uncle Jesse's chair feeling his arm slip around her waist.

Luke wraps an arm around Daisy's shoulders as her head leans on his shoulder. Sipping his hot chocolate feeling the warm calming effect it's having on his frayed nerves.

Daisy sipped the warm liquid slowly, feeling it warm her up and calm her a little bit. She still couldn't believe this was happening to her baby cousin, she kept expecting him to laep out the bedroom and tell them this was all one big joke....but he never did.

All that remained in the house was a tense worry filled silence....that was soon broken by a low groan....

As the low groan breaks the silence in the old farm house Luke is on his feet and halfway down the hall in an instant heading for his and Bo's bedroom. Jesse is hot on his nephew's heels both of them bursting into the room. B.L. brings up the rear stopping at the foot of the bed holding her breath praying this is the turning point and Bo will start to get better again but not really believing he will from the way he looks,so frail and his skin is almost transparent.

As Daisy hears the groan all she can do is bury her head in her hands and shake her head. This can't be happening all over again, it just cant be. Not so soon after they just pulled bo from death's door he's heading straight back for it again. If they needed her she would help, but she didn't want to see Bo like this again....not again....

Bo had rolled onto his back and was laying like he was strapped to the bed, eyes open but oddly glazed over and cold sweat dripping from his burning forehead. He was looking wildly around him with his eyes but made no move with his head.

Jesse gets up from the bed to get a wet cloth to wipe away the sweat whispering to B.L. as he notices Daisy's absence.

"Stay with Daisy ok"

B.L. nods turning and heading back down the hall sitting next to Daisy on the couch wrapping her best friend in a tight hold. Doing her best to control the fear that's girpping her own heart,she'd felt a nagging fear ever since Luke'd brought an unconscience Bo in and finally had all she could take,which largely resulted in her taking charge tonight.

Luke sat next to Bo holding his hand fear knotting his stomach as he feels the heat radiating from Bo the fever had come back.

"Bo can you hear me it's Luke,ya got a fever but me 'n Uncle Jesse's gonna take care of ya just hang on."

Jesse returns with the wet rag,sponging Bo's face,chest and arms to lower the fever. Flipping back the cover as well leaving Bo laying prone on the bed clad in his boxers.

"It's ok Bo Uncle Jesse's here and so's Luke"

Daisy wrapped her arms round B.L and held her tightly, not crying, she had nothing left in her to cry, just being held, being comforted by someone.

Bo made no sign that he knew anybody was with him or what they were doing to him. HIs eyes remained glazed and his body rigid. HIs breathing was quick but not weak and raspy.

B.L. closes her eyes as she and Daisy sit there on the couch holding onto each other as if their lives depended on that hold. Memories of another time pop into her head,when she'd lost her father and her Mama was too numb to take care of her kid's breavement L.B. had taken on the roll as the man of the house trying to take care of her and their mother until she had asked to go visit the Dukes. There had been long nights that nightmares had riddled her sleep and it had been Diasy who'd held her as she cried till there was nothing left to cry keeping away the night demons.

It had also been Daisy who'd held her after breaking up with a guy she thought she'd loved when he'd tried to force her to sleep with him. B.L. smiles at this particular memory because while Daisy had been holding and comforting her Bo and Luke had been pounding some manners into the guy back behind the Boar's Nest.

Luke looks across the bed worriedly at Uncle Jesse he'd seen guys in the Marines get caught in a fevered nightmare and their breathing would be hard and fast till they hyperventilated. But it wouldn't do any good to try and get Bo to breathe normally he guessed because his cousin wasn't acknowledging anyone was around him.

"Bo ya got to slow ya breathin down yur gonna hyperventilate. C'mon cousin."

Jesse shakes his head as Bo doesn't respond to Luke

"I think we'd best call Doc Appleby see if he'll come out tonight and take a look at Bo."

Luke nods not taking his eyes off Bo. Jesse leaves the room going down the hall glancing at the two friends on the couch before taking the phone into the kitchen and calling the doctor. After telling the doctor how Bo's condition was and what they were doing for him,Doc Appleby tells Jesse he'll be there as soon as he can.

Daisy looked up worridly at her Uncle as he called Doc Appleby and clung tighter to B.L as he rattled off the things that were happening to Bo. SHe couldn't believe this was happening. Bo was a strong young man, someone who never let anyone or anything kick him down. He was not one to stay down and relent to anyone, so why was this happening? Why didn't he seem to have the will to live anymore....

Bo's breathing remained quick and was getting shallower. His eyes darted from left to right and the muscles in his left arm twitched and tried to move away from something, although the imaginary bonds on his wrists kept them pinned to the bed.

Jesse stops in the livingroom on his way back to help Luke with Bo knowing he needs to tell Daisy what's going on although from the look on her face she has a pretty good idea already.

"Bo ain't doin too good his breathin's too fast and he ain't respondin to us,he's got a high fever again too."

B.L. holds onto Daisy a little bit tighter as she feels the other woman tense in the embrace at the news.

"Is there anything we can do Uncle Jesse?"

Jesse shakes his head sadly

"No child just pray for him and tell the doc where we are when he gets here"

"Ok"

With that Jesse heads back to the bedroom resuming his place on the other side of Bo alarmed to see the shallow breathing and Bo's increasing aggitation.

"What do ya think it is Luke"

Luke responds without looking away from Bo

"I think he's delirious with the fever and he thinks he's back in that cabin tied to the bed cos he ain't moved an inch just keeps getting more and more aggitated."

Daisy shook her head and hugged B.L more.

"Why's this happening B.L? Why is this happening to him?"

After a couple of moments, Bo's mouth started to open and close and his eyes squeezed shut before he finally managed to make the sounds.

"I didn't hear nothin'....didn't hear nothin'....please don't....please.....didn't hear nothin'...please...please...."

His left hand curled into a fist and he tried vainly to move his arm away from something, twisting against bonds that weren't even there.

B.L. didn't know lord only knew she wished she did but she didn't

"I don't know Dais I just don't know"

Uncle Jesse pushes the hair back from Bo's forehead murmuring softly

"What didn't you hear Bo?....shhhh......it's ok"

Luke watches Bo worriedly as he struggles to get away from something imaginary. Unable to watch anymore he pulls Bo into a sitting position placing his arm behind Bo. Hoping the action will register to Bo that he's not being held captive.

"Bo it's ok ain't nobody gonna hurtcha your safe here in our room,me 'n Uncle Jesse are here with ya and Daisy is in the livin'room with B.L."

Luke wishes the docotor would get there Bo's getting worse and doesn't even know any of them are there.

A knock on the door makes B.L. jump slightly before letting go of Daisy.

"The doc's here he'll do all he can to help Bo"

Getting up off the couch B.L. goes to the front door letting the doctor in with a relieved smile.

"Hi Doc,Luke and Uncle Jese's in the boys room with Bo"

The doctor returns the smile with a warm one of his own glancing at a desolate Daisy on the couch thinking more than one person might need his medical assistance. Asking as he heads toward the hall

"Is Daisy ok?"

B.L. looks back over her shoulder responding

"Yeah just a little upset nothing some shine won't fix"

The doctor continues down the hall knocking briefly before entering,hearing Jesse's and Luke's soft voices. Taking in the situation he crosses quickly to the bed getting Luke to lay him down again before having him move to sit next to Jesse realizing the young man will still want to be close enough to touch his cousin but he needs room to work.

"How long has he been like this?"

Luke answers before Jesse gets a chance to say a word

"About 45 minutes I guess and he keeps getting worse. He was sayin somethin a few minutes ago tellin somebody he didn't hear nothin and ta please don't. I think he might be so feverish he thinks he's being held captive again by them dudes cos he was thrashin around like he was tied or somethin can ya help him doc?"

The doctor pat's Luke's shoulder

"I'm going to try Luke"

Daisy looked up as the Doc entered and smiled wanly at him before looking back down to the floor, wrapping her arms around her middle. The doc was here now and even though she knew he couldn't work miricles, she knew he could help at least a little.

Jesse couldn't help but smile slightly at Luke's eagerness to get Bo better again. Jesse could tell this was hitting his oldest hard, having to sit by and not do anything because he couldn't. Luke was always the one to get the whole family out of any trouble, he had the cunning and knowledgable mind to come up with plans that others would deem crazy, but always seemed to work the best.

But now he was stuck here, helpless to do anything for his younger brother, and Jesse knew exactly how that felt.

He reached out and wrapped a comforting arm around Luke's shoulders, pulling him close and enveloping him in a hug as Bo stiffened on the bed and arched.

B.L. returns to the couch wrapping her arms around Daisy once again holding her close,thankful for the doctor's arrival. She knows the doctor will do all he can for Bo. She shudders everytime she thinks about what is going on down the hall it's scarey to have seen Bo so well just hours before for him to be so sick now.

Luke leans into the comfort of Uncle Jesse's warm embrace he doesn't care that the doctor is there and can see him he's too worried and scared to care about showing public affection. Luke turns his head into Jesse's shoulder as Bo stiffened and arched on the bed. He felt like crying but there was no tears there not this time he was too scared to even cry.

Doc Appleby pulls the thermometer out of Bo's mouth reading it before looking up at Jesse with a frown. Checking Bo's pulse and blood pressure reading gets a deeper frown from him at the intensity of the racing pulse and the reading of the blood pressure.

"His fever's 103,pulse is way too fast even if he'd been exerting himself. I don't like his blood pressure reading either. I'm going to give him something to bring down the fever and a shot of valium to calm him he does not need to get anymore upset."

Luke looks up mortified at the mention of valium knowing it has to be injected he shakes his head fiercley

"No Doc ya can't give him valium they......they injected him with somethin

while he was tied to a bed......he's been reliving that I could tell by the way he was actin....he was relivin that time you can't give him anythin with a needle I won't let ya."

Doc Appleby gave the distraught cousin a kind look knowing that he was only trying to protect Bo.

"Luke I really don't think he knows what's going on at this point if he's already been imagining being injected he's not likely to know it's really happening."

Luke continues to shake his head stubbornly.

Jesse gripped his oldest by the shoulders and turned Luke to face him, signalling to the doctor to inject it quick while Luke's attention was distracted.

"Luke....the doc is here to help Bo. He wouldn't do nothin' that won't help him ya know that....we need him to get better Luke....if we don't he wont last the night....now which would you rather? Make Bo have an injection or send him to the pearly gates?"

He hated talking like that to Luke when he was obviously so distraught, but it had to be said because the injection had to be done and he could see no other way to get that through to Luke.

The doctor nods quickly fixing the correct dosage when Jesse turns Luke away injecting the drug into Bo.

Luke scowls Uncle Jesse isn't playing fair he knows how much Luke wants Bo to get well. Gritting his teeth and closing his eyes looking as if he's preparing himself for the injection. Luke does his best to rid his brain of the images Jesse has put in his head of a dead Bo tears slipping from beneath his lashes to run down his cheeks leaving a track behind.

"Uncle Jesse ya know I want Bo ta get every possible advantage so's he can get well. But I don't want Bo hurt anymore he's always been afraid of needles but now he's terrified."

This statement is said in a low pitiful broken voice.

Jesse nodded gently and trailed his thumb softly down Luke's cheek, keeping one eye on his now calming nephew, although Bo's eyes still remain unfocused.

"I know Luke....I don't want him hurt neither....but I don't think he even realises where he is right now, let alone what's really happening to him....the only thing this'll do is help him Luke...."

Luke nods wiping his eyes and sniffing,looking over his shoulder at a calming Bo still unable to turn completely in Jesse's firm but gentle grasp.

"I know Uncle Jesse but if you'd seen his face back in that cabin.....I just want all this over and Bo to be Bo again he's had enough... I'm beginning to believe him that he can't take nomore."

Luke lays his head on Jesse's shoulder briefly reveling in the small comfort of the hold,before pushing away slightly to look at Jesse's tired,worried face anger,confusion,and just plain defeat creeping into his voice.

"I don't get it Uncle Jesse.....why'd they hafta do this ta Bo? He ain't never hurt nobody in his entire life! He wouldna told what he knew with the threats they was makin on the family Bo'd give his life ta protect us just like we would him....only this time it looks like it may really cost his life. They didn't hafta give him drugs and god only knows what else he was too scared of everythin' bein' bugged and us gettin killed if he told."