Impressions of the new movie

dgilbert

I have mixed feelings about the upcoming movie. I love the original Dukes, but I hate what Hollyweird has been doing to the shows that many of us grew up on.

Plus: I like the fact that Burt and Willie are apart of this project. Personally, I think that Burt would have been better as Roscoe and have Mr. Gainey play Boss. Gainey being the serious to Burt's comical side would have worked out better, but I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.

The best part of the whole movie will be seeing the General Lee flying through the air.

Minuses: Jessica (no talent) Simpson. She actually blends in well with Stifler and the 2-headed Jackass from MIB2, but not for this movie. Brooke Burke would have been a much better choice. Daisy wasn't afraid to fight and mix it up on the show, but once Jessica breaks a nail all bets are off. I would have rather some unknowns instead of Scott and Knoxville.

Will I go see the movie in the theaters? No. I'll wait until I hear the buzz about it around town and what the rest of the forumites have to say. History has proven that Hollyweird will screw this up and I am a child of history. Examples; Charlie's Angels (both of them), Starsky & Hutch, Mod Squad, plus having people involved in the Dukes that were associated with JackAss, MTV reality shows, American Pie (good movies for comedies, but the Dukes aren't a comedy) and SuperTroopers doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

So the weekend that the movie comes out, you can bet that I'll be watching the DVD Dukes

JBama01,

I'll definitely agree with you about the Dukes being a Comedy/Drama, but at least the comedy portions were about more real life things and the interaction within the cast. Remember how quickly the mood changed when the General Lee was stolen and went into the lake and Roscoe and Enos thought that Bo and Luke were driving? There was the fun and excitement of the chase itself and then all of a sudden there is concern for the lives of people that were just like family (in a weird twisted sort of way).

I don't see that kind of turn in emotions happening in the movie. Those involved are used to making comedies while poking fun at others and just doing stupid things to make a laugh. Something is more funny for me if it's spontaneous, and not orchestrated and shoved down my throat.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys just aren't willing to give this a chance. I honestly think that they are paying an homage to the dukes of hazzard by not making the movie like the show. But the movie is still like the show, just modernized. The reason why the dialouge was different in the show is the simple fact that times have a tendancy to change in 30 years. The show was and still is just a show that is full of cheesey dialouge and is just a fun ride. The movie will also be like this. I love the Dukes, I have watched them since i was a child. True it was only re-runs as I was born in 83, but i watch the show every chance i can get and I own seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. After saying all of that, I watch that trailer and think that every part of it is awesome and I just can't wait to see this movie.

And for all of those people that don't want to give them a chance because of previous things that they have done, you dont realize how hollywood works. They don't get these people because they want them to be the same character that they were paid to portray before. No, Johnny Knoxville won't have a 30 minute segment in this movie where he has small children throwing pool balls at his nuts. I honestly Like Johnny Knoxville, but I hate Jackass. I hated SWS in American pie, but he doesn't play the same character in the movie Evolution. When I saw him in that movie, I liked him better. And no, Jessica Simpson won't be playing the retarded blonde that she is in real life. As you can tell from the trailer, she is obviously portraying a character that knows how to use yherself to get what she wants and isn't afraid to get in to a scrap with a man. And wouldn't you know, that the same daisy from the TV show.

And saying that you aren't going to go see this movie until everyone else tells you what they think about it is retarded. Those are opinions from other people. Hasn't anyone ever told you to form your own opinion.

The true fans of the show will go see this movie. I'm not saying they will like it, but they will go see it, and I'll tell you why. If you're a true fan of the show you like the family dynamic, the southern feel and a hell of a lot of car chases and wrecks. Not to mention hot girls that take a clothing optional approach to life. Those who refuse to see it I believe simply like the Dukes because of the nostolgic feeling they get when watching it. I know quite a few of you have said you won't see but to be quite honest I don't believe you. I'll be looking for you, sitting in the corner of the theater, hoping no one sees you. Probably cussing the whole time, but I know you'll be there.

To basktqase; very inciteful post, but I do understand how Hollywood works MONEY. Use name recognition to try and put as many butts in the seats to make as much money as possible. Most people tend to agree that the movie is going to be on the edgier side like the first few episodes of the tv series. I agree. Those episodes were also not my particular favorites. When the show got away from that format, it took off. James Best had even mentioned changing the format after the first few episodes. Those episodes didn't define the Dukes and were far from what made the series successful and an icon. And in reference to your "retarded" comment about waiting for other's opinions about the movie, I have made up my OWN opinion about the movie. I do not want to see a movie that is going to trash a legacy that I grew up with and go about that trashing it with a group of celebrities (otherwise known as "no-talent hacks") that I also don't like. There have been many forumites that have put together fantastic lists of actors that would have given the product more credibility. And what does it says about a movie based on a tv series that the original cast wants NOTHING to do with? That speaks volumes to me and they would know more about the movie than most fans would.

And travelerF150, I always enjoy reading your posts, but you can be rest assured that I won't be in any theater watching the movie. You don't have to believe me, but I'm telling the truth.

For all of you that already plan on being in the theaters opening day, "good on you" and I hope that you enjoy yourselves, but Hollywood will not receive my money for the farce that they are creating.

I'm gone.

The true fans of the show will go see this movie. I'm not saying they will like it, but they will go see it, and I'll tell you why. If you're a true fan of the show you like the family dynamic, the southern feel and a hell of a lot of car chases and wrecks. Not to mention hot girls that take a clothing optional approach to life. Those who refuse to see it I believe simply like the Dukes because of the nostolgic feeling they get when watching it. I know quite a few of you have said you won't see but to be quite honest I don't believe you. I'll be looking for you, sitting in the corner of the theater, hoping no one sees you. Probably cussing the whole time, but I know you'll be there.

Amen to that .....Ain't that the truth though.

I have been a fan since I watched the series as a little kid. I got really excitedabout ti finally being a movie. We all had our thoughts about it, but I have always stated that I will give his movie a chance being a Dukes Fanatic.

Other people's knocks and criticism of the casting and director and script have made me want this movie to SUCCEED even more . Granted I hoped this movie doesn't turn out like Starsky & Hutch, and judging by what I have read about it on other websites - Brian, MaryAne , Muf'n please forgive me on that - the movie won't be like that at all.

Everyone has their own opinion on ther Dukes and the movie and I totally respect that. Who am I to judge what others feela passionately about. I am one of those people to. BUT I will be at the theater opening night with my Dukes hat and my General Lee shirt to show my support for favorite show. If the movie is as good as I hoped , I won't be disappointed in the least. It will just be a different version to me and won't take away from the original series, at least not to me anyway.

Until August 5th , I will reserve judgement on the movie and continue to read and post comments on here about the "pro's" and 'con's" of the movie.

We will know in few shoert months .......I can't wait to see the General lee fly on that huge screen and hear the dixie horn and best of all YEEEEE HAAA.

Darrell