When Burt Reynolds speaks, the studios listen...

MaryAnne

In my quest to find out why the hell the Dukes trailer didn't air during the Super Bowl when it apparently was supposed to, I did find this interesting article at http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/setprev4.php

I'm still searching to find out why the trailer didn't air. I'll probably never find the answer but I may find more neat articles. LOL

Set Preview: "The Dukes of Hazzard"

Posted: Tuesday February 1st, 2005 7:00pm

Author: Kellvin Chavez

When Warner Bros. Pictures announced a movie adaptation of the beloved The Dukes of Hazzard, some fans were pumped, some were nostalgic, but many more were terrified. After all, for every one good adaptation of a TV show--Brady Bunch, say--there are four embarrassments like Starsky & Hutch.

But this is an excellent sign: One of these skeptical fans was Burt Reynolds, who said that if The Dukes of Hazzard is in any way like Starsky & Hutch, he would refuse to do the movie. The studio listened. When he was convinced that the creators were treating the movie seriously, even faithfully, he agreed to do the film, signing on as Boss Hogg.

Joining Reynolds are Sean Williams Scott as Bo, Johnny Knoxville as Luke, and even Willie Nelson (Willie frikkin' Nelson!) as Uncle Jesse. And, most importantly, Jessica Simpson plays the part of Daisy Duke, shimmying into the super-short-shorts that every guy drooled about for the entire '80s.

I had a chance to visit the set for the movie, which was filmed in the wooded outskirts of Baton Rouge, LA. The creators stressed that they're shooting for a tone that's a mixture of action and comedy, the comparison they used was Lethal Weapon and Beverly Hills Cop, which, if true, bodes quite well for the film. They wanted to make a film that was the anti-Starsky & Hutch, making sure that it wasn't campy and not a spoof, but more of homage to Smokey And The Bandit, Blues Brother and The Cannonball Run.

The upcoming movie will feature all the usual characters (including the best character of all, the General Lee, which looks fantastic), and stay true to the spirit of the show, but it takes place in modern times. For instance, Bo and Luke have visions of NASCAR glory. But the important elements of the TV show are all there. Bo and Luke give Boss Hogg hell, they have to save the family farm, and they try to track down a treasure, of sorts--a lost Civil War payroll.

On the set, I interviewed the cast (including Jessica Simpson, who, despite her image, is actually quite articulate), Johnny Knoxville, Seann William Scott, Producer Bill Gerber and director Jay Chandrasekhar. And in the weeks prior to the movie's release date (July 29th), I'll be giving you reports with all the goodies. The "Daisy Dukes." Q&As with the talent. A dinner conversation with Burt Reynolds. And some shockingly cool stunts that involve the General Lee. That's all going to be coming soon.

Thank you for posting that.......I always said when they cast Burt Reynolds it will be for more of a serious role and not some slapstick kind. I had no idea Burt had that much pull, but so far it sounds very promising. Reading articles like this and another one in a different thread raises my hopes for the movie.

While we all disagreed and took exception to the director and cast when they were first announced, it is looking like they are staying true to spirit of the show. Like I said after the past couple of articles posted , I am now looking forward to seeing the movie more than ever . We will find out how "true" it is in a few months when it comes out....