Hazzard County Exemplum

DaneyDuke

(Note: This was started a few years ago. Thought maybe some fellow writers looking for a new story might want to finish it.)

A guest goes missing from a Hazzard County motel…

“Sheriff, I think we got everything.†Enos said.

“Careful with that,†Rosco answered. His attention on the deputy fidgeting with the camera strap on the department equipment in his hands. The dawn of a new day had barely begun when the motel manager had phoned the Sheriff’s Office. Another patron checking out had noticed a room door wide open. They had mentioned it to the clerk on duty. The clerk found the room just as the officers had, tidy.

The only thing missing was the customer who had checked in the afternoon before. The only indication there might be trouble was the trail of cards that led from the sidewalk to the parking lot. The cards were in the opposite direction of the hill behind the motel.

Enos had walked the hill, took a few pictures. There had been no phone calls to the room. The possibly missing person hadn't made arrangements for someone to pick them up? And it turned out they had simply forgotten to close the door all the way.

A travel case with money and identification sat on the chair next to the window.

Rosco looked at the tan and brown paisley printed travel case. He was deciding between taking a picture of the person’s id and making a flyer that way. Or taking the case back to the office. If the person wasn’t really missing, they could report his department. He really wasn’t quite sure what had happened. Sometimes a police officer immediately knew what they were getting into at a scene, but not this time.

The person could have made arrangements before they checked into the motel to be picked up. Were they a person on the run and that was why the items had been left behind? That could explain it. But then a criminal normally wouldn’t have the stuff that was in the travel case. And he had no proof at this moment, the person was a criminal.

“Alright, let’s get back to the department,†he paused. “I’ll run the name through the system,†Rosco said quietly.

“Develop the pictures while you do that?†Enos asked eagerly.

“Yeah,†Rosco replied. “Stop at the office and tell the clerk I’m waiting for them to lock this room up.â€

“Sure, Sheriff.†Enos stepped toward the door that had been left open. Rosco pondered over the possible crime scene evidence, the tip tap of the deputy’s boots on the sidewalk outside grew faint.

(Cue anyone!)

Due to the fact it was an unusual start to the morning for the Hazzard County Sheriff's department, it also meant an unusal start to the day for the Duke Boys too. They'd been driving down the dusty back roads of the backwater town, testing out the General as they made their way in to see if they needed to stop at Cooter's while they got the daily grocery shopping done. The sun was warming up the land, the birds were singing, the dust was being kicked up by the powerful orange stock car as the sun gleamed off its paintwork...it was a lovely, quiet day and both boys were enjoying relaxing in it...

"Luke....does it seem odd t'you...that we ain't heard nor seen hide nor hair of any flashin lights on Rosco or Enos' patrol cars the whole time we's been drivin'? Heck, we musta driven past at least 3 speed traps an' they ain't there..."

Bo couldn't help but break the silence to comment on this unusual non-activity. Of course he wasn't really asking Luke if he'd noticed, his cousin's razor sharp mind never missed even the tinest hint something was amiss, let alone something as huge as this indication. Taking his eyes off the road for a second, he spared a glance at the dark-haired Duke, only to be met with the oh so familiar Must you point out the obvious all the time look.

"Course I noticed it Bo, puts me dang near on the edge of my seat more than jumpin the General does when they ain't around...what seems odder t'me is how many times you used the word nor in one sentence..."

"Cute..." Bo replied sarcastically, narrowing his eyes at his older cousin before turning his attention back to the road.

"Ain't nothin we can do about it though Bo, Uncle Jesse needs these groceries so we can't afford t'be thrown in jail till after we got them to him...its better we ain't seen them two around yet for that reason."

Luke explained, he never liked to leave things on an insult between them. Bo might be blonde sometimes, liked to point out the bleeding obvious a lot too but that didn't mean he wasn't as smart...or that he didn't get hurt like everyone else by things that were said. He didn't mind explaining things, he knew his mind worked about ten times quicker than everyone else's, even in the Marines he was forever the one to explain how something needed to be done. He liked it that way, it was something to keep his mind occupied in this sleepy town. If it weren't for Boss and Rosco coming up with new plans for him to think a way out of near every day, he would be downright bored. Besides, Bo was nodding in agreement with him anyway and continuing on his way to the lion's den itself.

If the boys weren't in trouble yet, after a trip into town they pretty much were guarenteed to be. That was when the day would become like usual again.

In the meantime, the mysterious disappearing motel lodger wasn't as far away as people might have thought. They might have needed to run but they were smart enough to know that running around a place you had no knowledge of - at night no less - was a stupid thing to do. So, slipping out into the cool night air after sleeping most of the afternoon, they had absconded onto the roof of the motel to watch the tiny town square come to life in the morning...or more importantly, looking for someone to help in their plan to run as far away as possible from those that were looking.

• 2 weeks later...

(I give a try)

Strange days in Hazzard County.

Not only an unusual day for the Hazzard County Sheriff’s department and for the Duke boys, but an unusual day for the Duke girl too.

It was only few days Daisy and Enos got married, after Doc Applebe finally cure Enos’ hives, and Daisy was now at the new Strate’s house, intent to change that empty house to something cosy.

Looking at the flowers in the pot on the living room’s table, she smiled.

She heard a car stopping in front the house, and she wasn’t surprise when she saw it was a patrol car.

Enos entered the house smiling and then he kissed Daisy.

“Oh Enos, it was only a couple of hours you left and you’re here again? Aren’t you on duty?â€.

The girl pretended to be surprised by Enos’ come back in the unusual hour in the morning.

“Just to see you and to check I really married you and it wasn’t only a dreamâ€, he blushed.

Daisy laughed, “How’s your day?â€.

Enos shrugged, “A missing guest from the motel. I’m goin’ to develop pictures I took thereâ€, then he looked at the clock, “Gotta go or Rosco will fire me. Byeâ€, and after another kiss to his wife he headed to the office.

It’s useless to say, now, that having a cop in the family let the Dukes have any information ‘bout what’s going on at the Hazzard County department (more than ever).

(It’s absolutely useless to go on with this one.

The deal, here, it’s not ‘bout one-liners or not, created characters or original characters.

The deal it’s some people simply want only to write for themselves and with only few other members.

Round robin is no more a place where everyone can join in and enjoy.

Just a comment.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think so).

(I contributed to get it started properly, people can carry it on as and how they wish here. As i've been thinking about the story, I've come up with a few ideas of my own and so have wished to turn it into a story. I'm fine to be able to write that story by myself but the invitation is open if anyone wishes to help me write my version of events. There's nothing to say I have to carry on writing in this one, especially as the characters seem to magically jump from place to place in the space of a second - IE It said clearly in the first post that Enos was going to the station to do work, but somehow in a very short time he seems to have done all that and gone home.

I'm sure there are people who will carry this on with you if you asked them to, just because I wish to take it in a different direction does not mean you can't do that. Its why I started up a seperate thread instead of interrupting this one. I haven't tried to monopolize this thread by saying oh please change this, please change that cause I would never do that. You think what you want, you believe what you want, but at the end of the day the only one missing out if you don't post on this anymore is you.)

(If you only forced yourself to read properly my post, you’d notice that nobody “jumped†from place to place in the space of a second; Enos is going to the station to do work, and, before to reach the station, he stops briefly at his house, near the office (but perhaps it’s not so clear in my post)

Anyway, I think there’s no reason to have two stories with the same start going on in parallel.

Evidently you’re a better writer than me (I’ve no doubt ‘bout it) and you can go on alone.

Keep the good work: Daney’s start is great and I hope to read a good story.

I was only wondering what’s the meaning in round robin if people choose posts they appreciate more and reject efforts from other writers).