Turner South article and survey on the movie.

Got this link off a great southern website Aw, Shucks! The article is from WIStv Columbia, SC....

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3502987

Turner South surveys Southern opinion on Dukes of Hazzard movie

(Atlanta) June 21, 2005 - Atlanta based "Turner South" wanted to know how Southerners feel about the upcoming Dukes of Hazzard movie, so they conducted a survey. They looked at a wide range of topics from the Confederate Flag to the actors in the movie.

In the new version, Daisy Duke is played by singer turned actress Jessica Simpson. Turner South asked Southerners who they thought should have been given roles.

Southerners picked Katie Holmes to play Daisy. Apparently all the talk about her engagement to Tom Cruise is paying off. She beat out Jessica Simpson, Britney Spears, and Scarlett Johansson as top picks.

The movie could have Dukes of Hazzard fashion coming back. 38% of Southerners in the survey say those short shorts known as Daisy Dukes should come back in style.

The new movie has the roles of Bo and Luke Duke, performed by Johnny Knoxville who is best known for doing outrageous stunts for an MTV show. Seann William Scott who became famous for roles in American Pie and Dude Where's My Car also stars.

According to Southerners in the survey, Matthew McConaughey and Luke Wilson would have been a better fit for the roles. Other popular duos for Bo and Luke were Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller and Justin Timberlake and Ashton Kutcher.

The survey didn't just look at actors. When asked about the Confederate Flag on top of the General Lee, 76% said leave it on the car for the remake.

Turner South also asked if the characters are offensive. Most people said they are not, but more than half said they do not accurately represent Southern culture.

The Turner South survey also looked at other TV shows Southerners would like to come back as movies. Apparently people want to see Knight Rider, MacGyver, Magnum, PI, and the A-Team all re-made into Hollywood movies.

I don't think that people are as educated about the flag as we like to think...look at what happened in Georgia just a few years ago. Where I live now there are a lot of Confederate flags around...flying alongside the American flag in a lot of cases, but I where I used to live, you hardly ever saw one.

I think that more people need to be educated that today the Confederate flag stands for Southern pride and heritage, rather than hate and bigotry. In fact there is a Confederate flag that I drive by several times a week, that says on it "Heritage Not Hate". I wish more people would have that attitude.

LS3

If these people thought that Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller would've made a good Bo and Luke duo, they obviously didn't ask country southern folk. Probably half were from Miami, and being a Florida native I can tell you there ain't a damn thing about that town that's country. I will say though I'm happy that they agree with the Confederate flag staying on the General. But that's the way it is down here. Nobody really thinks it's offensive in the South cause we all have grown up with it. It's more prodominante down here than the state flag. Even those who grew up in the Northern states but moved down here know that.

Personally, I think Matthew McConaughey and Luke Wilson would have been a better choice. As for Daisy, I would have picked an unknown. Boss, Uncle Jessie, Cooter, and Roscoe could have stayed the same, but I would have written so they were serious and let the humor come from their characters. I also would have had Enos as an unknown. Joe Don Baker... well, I don't think you can have too much Joe Don Baker. :lol: