When Lonely Hearts Meet...

(Yes, we're back again!! :D Our muses have been misbehaving recently but we're gonna try and write this thing :p. Sorry folks, but this one's just for ME and DAISYMAEDUKE to take a stab at, hope you enjoy it to anyone who takes the time to read. Its much appriciated and we always welcome feedback in the form of pm's or wall posts. Just please dont it in the story. Many thanks xx)

Uncle Jesse smiled as he strolled across the yard to the mail box that cool spring morning, moving chickens out the way of his feet gently and petting the old goat that was standing by the porch as always. The boys were in the barn, doing the chores they did every morning, the sound of their happy banter singing through the deliciously fresh air...although he knew one of them wasn't as happy as he seemed. Recently one of them had been spending more time secretly looking at the photo albums that had gathered on the old bookshelves...particularly of the ones before he was born and when he and his cousins were all little. Or he was trying to look in secret anyway, the number of times Jesse had walked in and noticed but pretended not to was getting harder and harder to keep track of.

Jesse wanted to talk to him about it, wanted to find out what was going on but he would never push the boys to talk about what was bothering them. He understood that when they were ready they would venture their own way into revealing it to him. He had a feeling about what it was though.

Looking through the mail Emma Tizdale had so promptly delivered to their door, he looked through the envelopes - noting the ones from family - stopping when he reached a flyer. Biting his lip, he headed inside and put it carefully on the table where it would be noticed but so it looked like it had just been flung there, hoping it would catch the attention of the boy he wanted to notice it.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the barn, the boys were engrossed in their chores, bantering back and forth as had become as part of their morning ritual as much as Daisy's grits and strong black coffee.

"You know Bo...you oughta step further away from the loft," cautioned Luke as he took a forkful of hay and dumped it onto his head. "I can't tell where you begin and the hay pile ends," he explained, his tongue in his cheek trying to keep his dimples from showing.

Bo sighed and put his hands on his hips, shaking his head so the hay fell out.

"Oh Lukas, I know yer getting older and things are slowly starting to fail but I didn't realize your eyesight was the first thing that was gonna suffer. Don't worry, i'll get ya a seein eye dog, not only would he be yer eyes but he'd be the brain ya never had too."

He managed to quickly retort back with a smirk.

"You can't take me on Lukas Dukas, you can't even flip me an' ya aint been able ta since I grew taller than ya."

Bo shook the hay from his hair again, getting all the bits out.

"And you don't wake up to my ugly mug every morning, usually first thing you see is a girl's face beside ya before you scamper home and pretend you only just got up."

Luke chuckled at that. "Yeah...guess you got a point there."

It was no secret that Luke Duke was a lady's man. Neither he or Bo ever had trouble finding a date. And of course, one thing usually led to another. It was almost an inside joke amongst the family - how late could a Duke boy come in, slip out of his clothes and get into bed without getting caught. So far Bo held the record of two minutes before sunrise, though Luke swore up and down that the only reason he didn't hold the record was because of Rodney the banny rooster; if he had not insisted on crowing a few minutes early the previous morning and waking Jesse earlier than usual, Luke would still hold the title and have been saved from a sever tongue lashing by his uncle the next day.

Bo nodded with a grin, getting back to work, wanting to get the chores done so they could get out and start testing the General for their next race. Right now life felt pretty good for the youngest Duke cousin, despite the probation leashing them to Hazzard County. He part owned his own race car, won near every race he entered into, had a loving family and always had a good night in the Boar's Nest. He didn't mind working the farm cause it kept him in shape from his over indulging in Daisy's food most of the time and also gave him more time to spend with his brother.

Of course he knew one day that would all change, it was inevitable. Even though he denied it, he could tell Luke was just itching to get out of Hazzard County and see the world some more, move on in life and take on new challenges because that's who Luke was. He could get bored so eaisly, completing one challenge and moving quickly onto the next. He had an active mind that went perfectly with his active lifestyle...but Bo knew he needed more...and more than that, his heart needed more challenges, more oppertunity to exercise...but not in the physical sense.

Luke grew quiet as Bo got back to work, getting back to work himself, his mind absorbed in thought as was normal for the dark-haired Duke boy. He glanced at Bo, his smile seeming to radiate the barn. It was obvious Bo was happy: happy who he was and where his life was taking him.

Luke was another story...

Sure it was true that Luke was happy to be on the farm. Like Bo he had a loving family, his and Bo's beloved race car, and having done his duty in Nam, a freedom that most overlooked but Luke knew first hand not to take for granted. He had the sun greeting him every morning, and the stars at night. He had his pick of women to choose from on a nightly basis and nearly everyone in Hazzard called him a friend...

But despite his family and many friends, something was missing...

It wasn't long before Bo had finally finished his chores, glancing over at Luke who was still working though doing everything almost roboticlaly as it was clear the older boy was lost deep in thought. He had that look in his eyes again, like he was not just thinking but that he was also searching for something he couldn't find. He also got that look when he was trying to work out exactly what it was he was trying to solve and just couldn't.

He hadn't spoken to Bo about it though, which was unusal as they very often talked about everything that was bothering them so it was clear that this was something very different to the norm. Shrugging a little he slipped out the barn quietly so that he could let Luke think.

Luke didn't even notice that Bo left, continuing at his chores, his heart searching for what his mind could not name as he methodically threw hay down into a pile.

Daisy smiled as Bo came in the door. "Morning Honey..." Daisy greeted him. "I hope you're hungry...I made a lot," she added. She frowned as she waited for the other half of the twosome to come in, Bo and Luke usually coming in together. "Where's Luke?"

Bo grinned as he walked in and the smell of Daisy's cooking and Daisy's cheery sing song voice greeted him. Walking over to her, bare chested with his shirt hanging from his pants, he wrapped his arms round her waist from behind, kissing her cheek before answering.

"Course i'm hungry, i'll always eat anythin you make darlin...s'long as it aint Pecan Cookies or anythin with mayonnaise in em..Luke's out in the barn still, he looked busy thinkin so I left him too it..."

Luke eventually snapped out of his daze, looked around and frowned, realizing that Bo wasn't there. He frowned deeper when he realized that the sun was much higher in the sky than it normally was when he finished his chores. Shaking his head softly, he rubbed the back of his neck looking around the floor as he bit his lip. Scarcely a strand of hay was left in the loft, the majority having been unconsciously thrown to the barn floor. With a sigh, Luke softly made his way down the ladder, grabbing his shirt from where he hung it over Maudine's stall door. Looking again at the hay now adorning the barn floor, he shook his head thinking how he would never hear the end of this from Bo. Sighing, he left the barn and went inside, daring to hope he hadn't missed breakfast, not wanting to try to explain why he was late.

Bo looked up from where they had all started eating breakfast, smiling to him before saying playfully.

"You's just in time...I was gonna eat yer share."

Jesse looked up too but didn't say anything about him coming in late, despite the fact they had all called him loads of times before they had started. He could see that there was something Luke was trying to understand.

Daisy swallowed looking in the direction of the bathroom before fixing Luke a plate and putting it in the heating drawer of the stove to keep warm. "What if he doesn't sort through it Uncle Jesse?"

Luke closed his eyes as he leaned on the solid wall, tears mixing gently with the water. He looked forward to his shower every day...it was the one time he could allow the unshed tears to fall while at the same time fooling himself into thinking it was merely the warm spray hitting him and nothing more.

"He will Daisy-girl....I already have a hunch bout what's upsettin him, and I know eventually he'll know what he wants. He's just gotta realize it, and its something I think that's gonna surprise him and you two. He'll talk when he wants to, he won't do so until then. Now, stop yer frettin an eat breakfast afore it gets cold."

Jesse explained gently yet firmly to which Bo nodded a little. Usually he would have dived into the problem head first about what was upsetting Luke, making him talk. But this time he also sensed that it was something that Luke needed to figure himself.