"A Hazzardous Halloween."

Chet Duke

“What in the hell are you doing?†Chet Duke looked up at his father Bo Duke as he began to haul out the living room closet of the old farm house.

“Watch your mouth, Im looking for Halloween decorations... you know like witches, spiders an all sorts of cool spooky stuff.

Chet rolled his eyes an got up from lounging on the living room sofa, closing the Western Novel in his hands. “Yeah Bo, I know what Halloween is.â€

The young Duke boy grumbled calling his father by his name to purposely annoy him as he went outside an laid in the hammock in the front yard of his parents house. Bo shook his head an pull out more of the orange an autumn colored decorations.

Chet lay out in the hammock, letting it swing back an forth in the cool breeze, he hated Halloween. There was no point in celebrating the dead, they were dead... gone forever, the past, the end and so forth. Sighing he continued to read his novel, enjoying the action packed gun fights and thrilling shoot outs. But best of all... the fantastic train and bank robberies, he couldn’t but chuckle to himself.

After a half hour of enjoying his book he got up an drove back to the old ranch house a couple miles down the road from Cooters. He’d bought the place a couple of weeks before an now spent the majority of his time remolding it an taking care of his horses in the old barn.

Lately some weird things had been going on out to the old Ranch house an he’d been trying to make some sense out of it. For example, he’d left his old roping saddle on the fence out back before going to work at the boys ranch, come home that afternoon only to find the saddle in the middle of the isle of his barn.

There was no way anyone could get into his barn, he’d padlocked it an only he had a key. Chet shrugged his shoulders remembering a few other weird things but not thinking too much of them. He returned home an began to feed his horses, after each horse had eat he opened there stall doors an let them out into the big pasture for the rest of the night.

Chet walked down the isle of the big old barn, carrying a halter in each hand an one slung over his shoulder. He glanced up an froze in his tracks, his blood running cold with surprise an heart skipped in fear. The black haired Duke boy blinked his eyes trying to better see the smoggy image before him, the faint outline of a man in a cowboy hat an a long duster. Chet blinked again slowly the smoggy, almost dusty image was swept away by the breeze blowing in the open doors at the end of the barn.

His heart still racing, Chet stepped back an took a seat on a bale of hay on the floor of the barn, resting the halters in his lap.

“What the hell was that?...†He whispered aloud, asking himself and making sure he still could find his voice. Taking a deep breath he sighed an stood back up to return the halters to the small tack room in the barn. His mind turning over what he’d seen, what had it been? A figment of his imagination...maybe a beam of light, or his eyes playing tricks on him or....could it have been....a ghost?

(Cue Anyone, please try an stick to the idea please.)

Amanda Robson pulled her car up to the old farm house. She smiled to herself when she saw the white Charger parked out front. Amanda parked the red GTX and opened the door, climbing out. She couldn't help but smile to herself again.

"Chet? Chet are you in here?" Amanda called as she opened the door with a creak. She peered around the front room, turning her head to the left. She shrugged and walked into the house. Where is that boy? She thought to herself. Amanda made her way around the house, peering into each room and calling Chet's name. She made her way out to the back door, walking down the dirt path to the barn. Amanda shivered as a cool breeze blew past her, she wrapped her arms around herself. That's odd. She thought as she gazed up at the tall trees above her, their leaves and branches were still. She shook her head and continued to the barn.

The barn was dark and silent, the horses were all out to pasture for the night. Amanda hesitated at the door, squinting her eyes for a better look through the dim light in the isle af the barn. She had a uneasy feeling, she'd had the same feeling the first time she'd come into the barn, it made her uncomfortable. Everything in the pit of her stomach was telling her to run, turn around run back through the yard, through the house, out to her car, back down the road, and back to her own house and her bed, where she could pull the covers up over her head and never look back. But every feeling in heart told her to find Chet, who was still missing at his own home.

Her heart won. When it came down to it Amanda's heart always won, especially when Chet was involved. Amanda swallowed loudly and step into the darkness of the barn. "Chet?" She whispered, "Chet are you in here??"

She heard something stir to her left. Amanda whipped her head around to see what it was. She couldn't see anything. She moved closer to the wall, putting her hand on it, using it as a guide. Amanda could see the faint glow of a light from under a door a few feet ahead. The tack room. She moved quicker running her hand along the wall. Door was directly in front of her when she turned to her left. Amanda syuck her hand out and turned the door handle pushing the door open quickly. She hoped it was like a band-aid, the faster the better. Amanda jumped a little when she saw a figure standing before her.

"Chet! What are you doing out here?" She gasped when she had realized who was there in front of her. Amanda looked up into Chet's face, he was pale and breathing heavier than normal. Amanda furrowed her brow in concern, "Are you alright? You look...." she paused, not wanting to say what she was thinking, "You look like your gonna be sick! What's wrong?"

(well I hope this works for ya!! LOL tag you're it!!!)

The sound of his girl friends voice drew a small smile on Chet's face, it was so good to see her after his little scare. What ever he'd seen had been enough to rattle an shake him, the cold autumn breeze blew in hard through the open barn door.

"I was feeding my horses." He sighed an smiled at her, washing the remainder of his thoughts from his mind about the...what ever it was he saw and concentrating on her. "Well baby what do you think I'm doing out here, I had to feed the horses." He teased good naturedly.

Chet couldn't help but chuckle, he hung the halters up on the pegs in the tack room an closed the door behind him. Putting his arm around her he shut the lights off in the barn an started inside to get some supper started.

"I hope your hungry. I worked on supper for half the day, dinners your favorite an baked apples in carmel for desert, cowboy style of course." The young Duke boy kissed his girl friend on the cheek and opened the door into the half remodled farm house for her.

They both went inside, laughing an talking, autumn was such a beautiful an lively time of the year. So festive an cool enough to enjoy during the day an chilly enough at night to sit close to the one you love by a warm fire.

Chet spent the rest of the evening with Amanda, enjoying his supper an there time together. It felt nice just to be in a place he could call home an with someone he could hold tight an take deep comfort in and have her feel the same in return.

He sighed in content an lay awake for a few moments, savoring in the darkness an the peacefullness of the evening. Chet couldn't help but wonder what tomarrow could bring, with Halloween only a week away and all the sweet treats accumulating around town. Work was picking up at the garage where he'd been working with Cooter, an the boys ranch was settling into the season as well. What could possibly go wrong, Chet yawned an drifted off to sleep, hugging Amanda close to him.

Amanda sighed to her self as Chet pulled her closer. She was content, and was happy to lie in his arms. Although she still had the feeling there was something he had not told her, she quickly drifted off to a deep sleep.

Amanda awoke early the next mornin, Chet was still sound asleep, snoring lightly. She sat up in bed and stretched her arms high above her head, yawning her sleep away. She put her small feet on the floor and stood. Amanda walked to the window to look at the bright October morning.

Her eyes narrowed as she looked out towards the barn, watching in disbelief. There was a tall cowboy standing with the horses in the pasture. Amanda blinked her eyes trying to make the image disappear. It didn't.

She continued to watch, until the man looked in her direction. She gasped, her eyes wide. "Oh..." she cried aloud as the cowboy turned towards to house moving effortlessly in her direction. She started to back up.

She moved backwards tripping over her own feet and the bed. "Chet!!" She cried in fear as she fell backwards onto the bed. She landed on Chet's back with a thud. She shook him, trying to wake him, "Chet!" She called out again, more desperate this time.

The black haired sleeping Duke boy grumbled aloud as Amanda toppled over him an began shaking him. He turn his head the other way an wrapped his arms around the pillow, wanting nothing more then to sleep. It wasn’t like Amanda to try an wake him up, hence his annoyance.

“What.... what is it... Om’ sleepin here.†He groaned an gave a small yawn.

Soon her shaking became alarming he sat up on the bed, clad in a pair of bright red night shorts he slung his legs over the side of the bed. Yawning he rubbed his eyes an put his arm around her in comfort.

“Relax...relax... whats going on?†Chet yawned again, barely awake.

(Aint much but its something.)

Amanda looked up at Chet, fear clearly evident in her eyes. "There's...there's.." She stumbled over the words, "A man outside!!" Amanda pulled on Chet's arms, tugging him towards the window. She gave up, letting go of his hand she ran back to the window to pull the curtians back.

She slowly lifted the curtian peering out into the dawn. Amanda froze. She screamed, her mouth open wide. Amanda dropped the curtian and slowly backed up. "Chet, he's right there.....right outside the window...." She started to shake. Wouldn't you? There's a strange erie man peeking in her bedroom window, just makes ya a little uncomfortable.

Amanda collapsed on the bed beside Chet, still shaking like a leaf. She curled her legs up and leaned close to him, "Make him go away." She whispered, afraid the mysterious man would hear. "Please Chet! I'm scared!" She pleaded.

(Your turn Chet!! Oh somebody save poor sweet Amanda!!!)

(I finally decided Amanda desevered her own name!! I thought of something to add to my last post)

Amanda wiped a tear from her fear-stricken face, "You don't believe me do you? You think I've gone crazy! I haven't." She shook her head quickly, still staring at Chet, pleadingly. She stared at Chet waiting for a reaction. "Please Chet! Do something! Say something!!" Amanda cried, her fear turning to worry.

(ok I think I'm done now!)

• 2 weeks later...

(*This post is a joint effort by Amanda Robson and Chet Duke.*)

Chet quickly stood up from sitting on the bed, throwing back the covers in alarm. Someone was coming towards his ranch home and it had just sent his girl friend into a frantic frenzy. Alittle shaken by this Chet quickly slipped into his jeans an retrieved a .45 caliber pistol from under his pillow on the bed an cocked back the hammer.

"Take it easy Amanda... Im right here baby. No one is gonna hurt you." Grasping the gun Chet stealthly went to the window standing to the side of it at first.

Then he spun on his bare feet an pointed the gun out the window looking all around the barn yard. But he saw nothing, only the bright October sun peaking down from the sky an warming the earth.

Amanda clung to the blankets, pulling them up to her nose. She watched and waited as Chet looked out into the yard. "Well...is he there?" She whispered slowly. She was shaking in fear and almost in tears.

Gently Chet eased the hammar down on the gun uncocking it an setting it down on the lamp stand beside the bed. He shook his head in reply to her question. "Sorry baby... I dont see anyone or anything. Who did you see? What did this person look like?" Chet asked sitting down on the bed an scooting close to her to draw her into his arms comfortingly.

Amanda collapsed into to Chet's arms. She buried her face in his chest and took a deep breath. Amanda looked up at him, her eyes red, "He..he was..." She shrugged a little, "A cowboy...I didn't look at his face." Amanda lowered her voice, "I was scared."

Chet raised his brow his eyes widening at her explenation of the "cowboy" she'd seen in there front yard. He drew her into his lap and wrapped his arms tightly around her, not wanting her to feel so scared. "Shhhh... Im here... Im here. No one will ever hurt you with me right here. Definately not some other cowboy... now just relax."

Amanda closed her eyes and took heavy deep breaths, trying to calm herself. "Thank you." Was all she could whisper. Amanda laid her head agianst Chet's shoulder and tried to wipe the image from her mind.

Feeling very worried about her Chet rubbed her back an held her tightly, maybe it would be best if they got out of the house for the day. Go shopping an enjoy themself, maybe by some new clothes an get some treats for the horses at the tack shop. "Amanda... how would you like to get out today... go shopping, have lunch, just you an me? Hmmmm? Does that sound good?"

Amanda sniffed a little and looked up at him. She smiled a little and nodded. "I would like that, we could get some candy for all the little trick-or-treaters!" She wiped her face with the back of her hand and sat up straighter.

The young Duke nodded, he wasnt a big fan of Halloween but he would join in the fun an go along with anything Amanda wanted just to see her happy. "Great... come on lets get dressed." He slide from the bed an dug out a blue cowboyish shirt.

Amanda sat on the bad another minute as she watched Chet, then hopped up and walked over to the dresser. She pulled on a pair of cream colored kahkis and blue tank top. "Well..where should we go first?" Amanda asked as she pulled her  brown cowboy boots over her small feet.

He shrugged sitting down on the bed to pull his half worn out bull hide boots on his own feet. "I dont know, where would you like to go?" Chet strepped into the master bathroom just off from there bedroom, leaving the door wide open while her shaved around his goatee.

Amanda looked up at the ceiling then back at Chet, "I'm hungry. Why don't we go get a bite to eat?" She smiled as she got up and slid in the bathroom behind Chet, quickly combing out her hair.

The outlawed Duke boy chuckled watching her in the mirror behind him, she had just read his mind. "Girl... breakfast sounds great. But what did I tell you about reading my mind?" He teased her grinning.

Amanda chuckled and put the brush down; "Well I wasn't trying that time!" She teased back as she poked Chet in the ribs, "Now git! I need to use the little girls room!" She smiled up at him.

Chet muttered. "Yeah, your a lil girl alright." He wiggled his eyebrows at her in the mirror an placed his electric shaver back on the sink an exited the bathroom. "Im goin....Im goin!"

Amanda roll her eyes and shut the door behind him, coming out a minute later. "There....and I ain't a little girl!" She stuck her toungue out at him.

He replyed like-wise, sticking his tongue out at her as far as he could as he buttoned up his shirt. "Ready 'lil girl'?" Chet teased an ran from there room knowing she would chase after him.

Amanda growled under her breath, "I'll get you Duke!!" She shouted as she took off down the hall. Amanda reached out to grab the back of Chet's shirt.

As she came close enough to grab for his shirt Chet spun around with quick reflexs an scooped her up in his arms, laughing aloud. He craddled her there an spun her around holding onto her tightly with the intent to make her dizzy. "Ive got you now HA HA HA!!!"

"Ahhhh!! Put...me down!!!!" Amanda cried as she laughed and held tightly onto Chet's shirt. She giggled as the hallway whizzed by her in a blurr. "I'm dizzy, I'm dizzy!!!"

Laughing loudly he placed her on her feet keeping her one hand clasped in his own to keep her from falling down. "Dun' fall down girly." He chuckled watching her.

Amanda blinked her eyes, "I'm okay..." She smiled as she walked into Chet, grabbing onto him, "Maybe..I need a minute..." She closed her eyes, "Don't do that agian, please.."

"Awe... Im sorry." He hugged her against his chest, giving her time to let her head stop spinning. "We've got all the time in the world."

(Cue anyone.)

Amanda smiled brightly as she pulled herself from the window of Chet's charger. She dropped her feet to the ground, her boots making a soft thud on the leaf covered ground. "Ahh...I love the fall!" She laughed and leaned her back against the car looking up into the blue october sky, the warm sun shining on her face.

Their day had been wonderful, Amanda had enjoyed every minute of it and was now throughlly exhausted. All she wanted to do was curl up and sleep by the fireplace. Amanda couldn't help but smile to herself again as she helped Chet carry all that they had bought into the house.

Amanda stopped dead in the doorway and let out a loud shriek. She dropped everything that she had been carrying in her arms and turned to run, but found the door blocked by Chet. "MOVE!! GO!! RUN!!!" she shouted loudly as she tried to push her way past him.

(Tag Chet! You're it buddy!)