DOH Air Horn

Crazy_C

I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick general guide on how to install a melody air horn

i know it needs to be away from the engine itself and away from the radiator

i am planning on installing it behind my bumper onto the inside of the front right wing - does that sound about right?

any help will be greatly appreciated

• 1 month later...

bad news, bad news - it dont fit in my car :cry:

so sad :cry:

BUT - i have a plan B - an electronic one which will be much smaller and is remote operated and has 3 melodies (dixie doh style, dixie musical, on the road again)

but, would anyone be interested in a dixie air horn?

bad news, bad news - it dont fit in my car :cry:

so sad :cry:

BUT - i have a plan B - an electronic one which will be much smaller and is remote operated and has 3 melodies (dixie doh style, dixie musical, on the road again)

but, would anyone be interested in a dixie air horn?

• 2 months later...

The dixie horn set through JC Whitney is kinda big, for those of you driving modern cars, with no elbow room in the engine bay. (Or for those of you lucky enough to be driving around with a 454.)

Here's something to consider with installation of the big-horn kits. If you have any kind of an open grill on the car, and you've got the horns placed upwards, beware of rain/snow getting in there and shorting those suckers out.

I had a dixie horn in a '76 Olds Cutlass once, and not bein' the wiser, had the horns installed in the front of the car, between bumper n' radiator. The open part of the horns were right beneath the center grill, and I didn't think about moisture getting into them.

Until one day the damn horn shorted out and caused an electrical fire.

Years later, when installing the same kind of horn in my beloved '67 Impala, I made sure that @#$&* horn was set back a ways. Fortunately, the engine bay in the Chevy is huge, and it mounted perfectly over the inside wheel well, by the...whatsit. I dunno, it's over there on the right and it's plenty loud.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...