Broken Lizard

There are times when my HazzardNet duties take me to the seedier side of the internet. And so I ventured over to what passes for the "official" site of Broken Lizard, to see if there were any references to the Dukes movie. I figured they'd be doing some heavy-duty bragging, what with their buddy Jay being the director.

I only found one official comment, posted by one of the BL gang back in December:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

kevin, 4 months ago (12/16/04 11:13AM PST):

Howdy Amigos and Amigettes,

Just got back from the Dukes of Hazzard set in Baton Rouge. Shot a small part. (Everyone's getting some face time. It's Lemme's turn today.) Jay's doing a great job down there. And I think we've injected it with some good BL flavor. Knoxville and SW Scott are hilarious.

But now it's back to work on the next BL flick. We've been writing away and hope to get going right after J's done with Dukes. Next up... Beerfest!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

How 'bout that, the BL group gets face time. Pat yerselves on the back a little harder!

Anyhow, of the Broken Lizard fan comments that followed - all 218 entries - most are thoughtless obscenities and vulgarisms having nothing to do with the thread. (This is typical for that crowd.) But I did find one post worth sharing, to show ya'll the mindset:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Jess, 4 months ago (12/16/04 9:24PM PST):

In reply to RJ:

Y'know, if BL wasn't involved, there'd be NO WAY IN HELL I would ever see the Dukes of Hazzard movie. But now I have to. Thanks a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So, this is how the other half lives. Now, I was all set to join that board and see if there were any true Dukes fans hiding in fear over there - but the BL boards are not accepting new users. Given the crowd they've currently got, I'm not surprised. In fact, I refuse to post a link to the site, because it's just....bad. It's not funny, not amusing, not witty. It's like a bunch of graffiti without the artistic value.

There's no place like home.

Brian

Bama, ol' man.... you illustrate my point perfectly. Thank ya. :p

But by BL posting standards, you're a girl scout. Still, you are a good representation of the other side of the movie debate. Yer an artifact. A livin', case-in-point example of the Other Opinion. Not as articulate as some, but you'll do on short notice....

Brian

Heh heh. Thanks y'all. Ya know, I'm gonna go on an Official Diplomatic and Entirely Foolhardy mission in an effort to see what Jay and his fellow Lizards were using for inspiration, when working on this movie.

I've heard lip service to the effect that the first few episodes of the Dukes were used for inspiration, but I doubt it went beyond figuring out what the South looked like. My skepticism comes from reading about the Super Trooper cameos, and the rumored drug jokes within the Dukes movie.

Pot played a big role in the Super Troopers script. The movie opened with three stoners cruising down the highway in a car. Drug jokes ensue as the stoner in the backseat eats the entire hash supply in an effort to hide it from the cops. Later in the movie, bales of pot are discovered in an RV that also contains a dead body and a live pig. The town cops vs. the state trooper cops vie for the glory of the pot discovery. (For anyone who hasn't seen this movie yet and may rent it, I won't give away the ending. )

The action scenes in Super Troopers were decent, and I don't question Jay's ability to choreograph chase scenes, or fights. What I question is the creative depth. As the director for the Dukes movie, did Jay stick to his own familiar (and limited) territory, and just plunk the Dukes cast into it?

Or did he really study this show? Was he, himself, a true fan of it? Or did he take a ....crash course, pardon the expression, when he landed the gig? Did he watch three episodes, and then with no other exposure either before or after, roll merrily along?

Brian

Look at these guys from the broken lizard website...really...do you think these "guys" are really involved with anything Warner Brothers would want (or need) to make millions of dollars with?! As far as all this smack about drug usage in the DOH movie...I wouldn't worry too much about it.

http://www.brokenlizard.com/bios/

If you noticed, the movie "Without a Paddle" contained a LOT of marijuana. But...it showed no intentional use, and it also showed it was bad/illegal in the end. My son watched it with me last night and even he picked up on that. I feel if there are any drug connections in the DOH, which is highly unlikely, it will be in a similar way as "Without a Paddle".

Until then, I wouldn't even worry about it.

To be fair, I'll admit Super Troopers is the only BL movie I've seen. It just seems a mismatch to have this gang involved with the Dukes movie. Time could prove me wrong, but given the influence the director has on a flick, and the fact Jay's getting some writing credits in this one - I've got some doubts. That's why I'm interested in Jay's own take on things, because all we've got so far is a lot of rumor.

Brian