The Jumps & Stunts!

back

Okay, I may be new here but Ive always been into the DOH (what child in the eighties wasnt?) and we all also know that the General was (or seemed as) the Real star of the show in many cases. Some may argue. Anyways Ive been lurking around here for about a month or so now reading posts, educating myself on the popular annual dukefest, pics, vids, etc. Now, back in The Day they'd fill the rear of stunt vehicals with cement (correct me if im wrong), balancing out the center of gravity and for the most part sending a stunt driver on a near suicide mission for one hell of a flight! Now, with all that currently in mind weve all seen Gone In 60 Seconds (hopefully the old one And remake with N Cage) and id really bust my balls to see computer animated (as accurate as they may Seem) stunts of the general. Correct me if im wrong? like who here doesnt love a good 20ft of air at 60mph+ resulting in the trashing of a good automobile? Now, ive seen the odd pic here or there of the production stills but im curious with Todays Technology behind it all here what do you think below:

how will the cars be controlled? By remote assistance/launch pads (as seen on tasha's site with the old ford)?

Will/Should(ve) they gone old school with actual drivers?

what problems will be corrected with the jumps (ie: attitude control)?

If it is remote driven with dummies in the front seats will the jumps look as good? inperfection is what makes most stunts great.

Should we be expecting the general to lean onto 2 wheels, etc? or is that too much to ask for?

And finally, How many jumps N' stunts should we be looking forward too?

Anyways I guess this doubles up as my greeting post as well, I hope that ive placed a somewhat valid topic up here and look forward to a thoughtful discussion on the subject.

im gone.

-Brad

Lotta questions, huh? First, the only computer use in a jump will be to replace the dummy in the front seat with an actual driver. All the jumps are real, most of them without drivers. Stunt driver Kevin Scott did many small jumps in the "go car" and several actually behind the seat. But he's over 6 foot something tall and his cars had to be modified to clear his head from hitting the roll bars. As you mentioned on Tasha's site there was an old Ford car that matched weight with the GL. This was the test mule used to experiment with the ramp shooting system. Many pounds of air pressure propelled the cars from 40 to 75 MPH. The last jump in Clinton using this system cleared well over 100+ feet and landed perfectly. Although that car will not be used for many more shots. None of them had engines. Or concrete. Without the engines and the addition of roll bars and other ballast, the cars were pretty much balanced. The only controll these cars had were remote. The interstate jumper had remote everything. It was controlled from a Lincoln following it. That was cool. I want one for Christmas!

This movie will be filled with jumps, wrecks and other things that make car-lovers cringe. The GL does go on two wheels when it crashes through a barn. Took a lot of work.

But that's about it. Enjoy the movie!! We will.