Untitled Story One

Balladeer: This here story started out about two years after Luke had gotten shot when he was alone and had faked his death and left Hazzard because of it. Course at the time he had no idea the effect it would have on his baby cousin.

Luke was living in a border town actually outside of Georgia it was a town that wasn’t all in the same state actually. It was an unincorporated town on the Georgia border and he worked in Georgia over at the town VA office had for about two years now. One day he was getting some water at the water cooler and heard some co-workers talking.

“Have you heard?†One asked.

“You mean that crazy stunt car driver from Hazzard is in town?†The other asked.

“That’s what I heard. Their setting up for a stunt for him to do in a few hours.†The first said.

“That man has the darndest luck. Should be dead what 8 times over?†The second one asked.

“I heard one time when he was asked how he accounts for his luck and he said his family all have at least 9 lives.†The first said.

“I swear one of these days we’ll see the name Bo Duke in the paper saying he died in some stunt.†The second said.

Luke hadn’t been following racing or cars in years. But the conversation peaked his interest so he went to his desk and started researching. He found out the different stunts that his cousin had done since he left Bo and the family. Seemed like there had been at least one stunt a week since then and only that long between because things had to be set up for each of the bigger and bigger stunts. He also found out that the stunt planned was a 33 car jump this time. Luke recalled they barely made it over the 32 cars before…in the jump during the Carnival of Thrills stunt show. He also read that Cooter Davenport would often come out to where ever the stunt was being done to check out the car.

‘Cooter has gotta be in town now to check the car. Maybe I’ll call him…using my alias anyway. Just hope he doesn’t recognize my voice.’ Luke thought.

Luke reached for the phone on his desk and called a number and it was a number at the location the stunt was being done at.

"Hello, what can I do fer ya?" Came an answer.

'Cooter...' Luke thought glad Cooter answered it.

"Um...I'm looking for Cooter Davenport or Bo Duke..." He started.

"This is Cooter Davenport. What can I do fer ya?" He asked.

"Well my name is David Langston...I'm with the local VA." Luke said.

Balladeer: There was no need for a chair on Luke’s side of the desk…since Luke was in a wheelchair now which was something he had wanted to keep his family from knowing which was why he faked his death.

Luke drank the water he had got before starting the research and waited for Cooter’s response.

Balladeer: This story starts out about two years after Luke had gotten shot. He had been alone, faked his own death and left Hazzard because of it. Course, at the time he had no idea of the effect it would have on his younger cousin.

Luke was living in an unincorporated town on the Georgia border. The town straddled the border, but Luke worked on the Georgia side, over at the town's VA office. He'd been there for about two years now.

One day he was getting some water at the cooler when he heard two co-workers talking.

"Have you heard?"

"You mean that that crazy stunt car driver from Hazzard is in town?"

"That's what I heard. They're setting up a stunt for him to do in a few hours."

"That man has the darndest luck. Should be dead, what, eight times over?"

"I heard one time when he was asked how he accounts for his luck and he said his family all have at least nine lives."

"I swear, one of these days we'll see the name Bo Duke in the paper saying he died in some stunt."

Luke hadn't been following racing or cars in years, but the conversation piqued his interest, so he went to his desk and started researching. He found the different stunts that his cousin had done since Luke had left the family home. It seemed like there had been at least one stunt a week since then, and the intervals between were only because each new stunt was bigger and better than the previous one. Now Bo was planning a 33 car jump. Luke recalled how they had barely made it over 32 cars in the jump at the Carnival of Thrills stunt show. He also read that Cooter Davenport would often come out to wherever the stunt was being done to check out the car.

'Cooter has gotta be in town to check the car. Maybe I'll call him…using my alias. Just hope he doesn't recognize my voice.' Luke thought.

Luke reached for the phone on his desk and called the number of the location where the stunt was being performed.

"Hello, what can I do fer ya?" Came an answer.

'Cooter.' Luke thought. He was glad Cooter had answered it.

"Um...I'm looking for Cooter Davenport or Bo Duke." He started.

"This is Cooter Davenport. What can I do fer ya?"

"Well, my name is David Langston. I'm with the local VA." Luke said.

Balladeer: Since Luke was in a wheelchair, there was no need for a chair on his side of the desk. It was something he had wanted to keep from his family, and the reason he had faked his death.

Luke drank the water from the cooler and waited for Cooter's response.

Luke drank the water from the cooler and waited for Cooter’s response. He didn’t get one. Cooter was probably confused. Luke sighed because part of him really wanted to see his best friend.

“Can you come to the town’s VA? And come alone will ya.†Luke said.

“Sure thing.†Cooter said.

“Thanks, Mr. Davenport.†Luke said.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

When Cooter arrived at the VA, he was led to David Langston’s desk. The man behind the desk was putting something in the filing cabinet.

“Sir…Mr. Davenport is here to see you.â€

“That was fast. You can go now.†Luke replied.

“Didn’t realize how much I missed my favorite mechanic until I heard your voice.†said the man behind the desk as he closed the filing cabinet.

Luke rolled around to face Cooter. His hair was more in the style it had been when he first returned from ‘Nam. Intense, piercing blue eyes watched Cooter as he wondered if he’d be recognized by his best friend, or if he’d have to tell him who he really was. At first, the desk had kept Cooter from noticing the wheelchair. Now he just looked confused, obviously not recognizing the man behind the desk.

"Cooter...it’s me...Luke." The man said softly, after looking around to make sure no one else heard him.

C***'s eyes widened with shock.

"Lukas…Dukas?" C*** asked slowly.

Luke's eyes sparkled with amusement.

"It's me, Coot." Luke said nodding.