Generals In England

Hi, I've probably not been on here for over 2 years.

As far as I know there's only 1 genuine studio car on our 'side of the Pond'

It's owned by a chap called Peter Nelson who has a museum in Keswick (pronounced 'Kesik'), which is in Cumbria (referred to by us Brits as 'The Lake District')

I've seen that car, & it's reputed to be one of the 'chase scene' cars, with the 440ci motor

http://www.carsofthestars.com/

If you look at the 'Vehicle Index', he's got some wonderful motors;

- the original 'Mad Max' Police Interceptor

- Batmobiles (Adam West, Micheal Keaton, & Val Kilmer)

- Flintstones

- LOTS of 007/james Bond vehicles (including the DB5)

- Herman Munsters car

- A-Team van

- KITT (original series)

Obviously, there may have been changes since my last visit (new vehicles/some sold??)

There's also, probably -as far as I know, roughly a dozen replicas in the country

I saw one of these at a little show not too far from me a couple of weeks ago, which took place at a local historic inn/restaurant (dating back to the late 1700's)

http://www.hbclark.co.uk/kingsarms/

My wife was on her way out to a friends & saw it parked up at a local (to use one of your expressions...) 'truck-stop'/motel, I knew the show was on so headed out in our 'Coventry Cat'*

Click on pic to open/enlarge

2281467130047309372DATKHK_th.jpg

* We're lucky enough to have a Jaguar, & it's the XKR (the supercharged coupe)

2349264350047309372gwcJyt_th.jpg

• 1 month later...

Visited the Cars of the Stars museum in Keswick in late 2008. He's got some great vehicles, but could do with some more space to show them at their best (I think there are more in storage). I was also disappointed that no photography was allowed inside unless you spent about £40 in the gift shop.

Well they managed to find room for the nearby Pencil Museum (www.pencilmuseum.co.uk if there are non-believers out there). Didn't have time to visit it as I wanted to go to the house used as Uncle Monty's cottage in 'Withnail and I' just down the road in Shap - it was sold a couple of months later. Also stocked up on Kendal Mint Cake.

I was born in Dorset (think there's another forum member from that neck of the woods) but am Yorkshire on my father's side, and visited the Barnsley area regularly when I was younger. Just remembered - I actually visited Barnsley and Sheffield on the way back from Keswick.

Well they managed to find room for the nearby Pencil Museum (www.pencilmuseum.co.uk if there are non-believers out there)

That's been there for years though, as part of 'Cumberland Pencils'

Also stocked up on Kendal Mint Cake

Great stuff!

I took some with me on Sunday (18th), as 'emergency food', when I ran a 17 mile Fell-Race around the HolmeMoss/Woodhead Pass area

At least you know it's not actually a 'cake', like some people I know think it is!!!!!

but am Yorkshire on my father's side, and visited the Barnsley area regularly when I was younger.

Just remembered - I actually visited Barnsley and Sheffield on the way back from Keswick.

Have friends in Barnsley - but take a 'phrase-book' when we go to see them, & have the innoculations beforehand!

... but take a 'phrase-book' when we go to see them, & have the innoculations beforehand!

Tell me about it. One of my relatives from Barnsley moved to France and married a Frenchman. The kids were raised speaking French and English, but when they started learning English at school their teacher couldn't understand their broad Yorkshire accents, so they virtually had to start from scratch:).