DVD BOXSETS: The Rest of the Series: Your Thoughts

Greetings from Hazzard Tn.

Well, my biggest predicition for the show has come true. I anticipated that the first four seasons would make it to DVD in boxsets. Now I'm wondering about the remaining years of the show and I was wondering about your thoughts as to what you imagine will happen.

I'm going to jump ahead and cover the 6th and 7th seasons of the show first. I could imagine a 50/50 chance of seeing the last 2 seasons on DVD. The only drawback is that those two seasons were relatively weak in comparison to the first four. Even though both seasons produced to some unforgettable episodes, there also some sucky ones too.

Now for the issue of big debate. The fate of the 5th season. I can imagine one of four scenarios:

1: If the full 5th season is released on DVD in a boxset, I imagine it won't sell very well. Nobody I know likes Coy and Vance. About the only reason anybody would buy the set would be for the last 4 episodes with the return of Bo and Luke. Only die hard completionists like myself would buy it. Yes I would buy the 5th season and yes, I do watch the Coy and Vance episodes, but I watch them knowing that I can look forward to Bo and Luke's return. Just because I watch them doesn't mean I like them.

2. They skip over the 5th season entirely and release seasons 6 & 7. The only downside to that would be the ommission of "Welcome Back Bo and Luke" one of the series best episodes.

3. They could skip over season 5 and release the 6th season along with a bonus disc that includes Welcome Back Bo and Luke, Big Brothers Duke, Farewell Hazzard, and Daisy's Shotgun Wedding. 3 of these episodes were released uncut on Columbia House. I'd like to see Farewell Hazzard uncut.

4. They don't release anymore of the series beyond season four.

So, what are your thoughts? How far do you think, imagine, predict, or anticipate they will go with DVD season boxset releases?

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

Personally, given how well the first 2 season's have sold and the anticipation of season 3, I think that WB would be nuts not to release all seven seasons (and the reunions).

I agree that season 5 would not be as strong of a draw as the first four. I am in the category of hating Coy and Vance, but I would still buy season 5 because it is the Dukes of Hazzard, and you're right, "Welcome Back Bo and Luke" is one of the best episodes. I think that most die-hard collectors of Duke's merchandise would buy season 5 for the same reason.

Season's 6 & 7 are not as strong, but I think that die-hard collectors would buy them for the same reason as season 5.

In another thread Brian mentioned that it wouldn't be unthinkable for season 5 & 6 to be released together, which I think would be a smart move on WB's part. That way you get a lot of Bo and Luke episodes, even though you have to take the Coy and Vance episodes too.

LS3

Good Point Lost Sheep.

Putting seasons 5 & 6 together would be a great idea, even though the price would be higher, I'd be willing to pay for it. Plus it would speed up the process of seeing the entire series released. I am one of those die hard collectors of episodes. And my goal is to get all episodes plus the two reunion movies uncut on DVD someday, completing the official Dukes of Hazzard video library.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

Good Point Lost Sheep.

Putting seasons 5 & 6 together would be a great idea, even though the price would be higher, I'd be willing to pay for it. Plus it would speed up the process of seeing the entire series released. I am one of those die hard collectors of episodes. And my goal is to get all episodes plus the two reunion movies uncut on DVD someday, completing the official Dukes of Hazzard video library.

Cheers.

Will Rodgers

The Voice Man

Thank you - but like I said, the idea was brought up initially by Brian in another thread.

LS3