Welcome to our Family, Betsy-rae

"Well, you see, my folks want me ta do things that I don't want ta do. Bad things."

"What sort of bad things?"

"They wants me ta steal all the neighbors crops so's they can sell 'em at the street market. They says if I steals them, there's no risk cause I's a kid and kids don't go ta jail. They also wants me ta pic pocket people so's they can have everyone's money. And they says I's ta steal chickens from the neighboring farms fer 'em too. And one time, back when we's lived in Tennessee.....theys forced me ta stuff taters in the exaust pipes of the cop's squad cars so's they could rob the bank. I missed one of the cars though, and they couldn't rob the bank cause theys got scared away when they heard sirens coming. They was really mad then.......I don't wanna do those things, and when I don't.........."

"When I don't do what they want, my mama tells me that I ain't no kid of hers. She says I ain't fit ta be a Beaudry and she can't believe she got cursed with........with a no good, no account like me fer a daughter. And my daddy......my daddy lashes me with......with horse whips and boards, some times the boards have nails in them, and........he kicks me, and..........."

Returning to her seat between Bo and Daisy, Betsy-rae, let out a deep sigh and shuddered. Daisy smiled encouragingly at her and squeezed her hand. "It's going to be alright, sugar."

"Of course it will." Bo said in agreement with Daisy as he put his arm around Betsy-rae and warmly embraced her.

Boss Hogg had Rosco bring Mr. Beaudry back into the room and ordered Mr. Beaudry to approach the bench. J.D. then questioned him briefly.

"Alright, Mr. Beaudry, what have you got to say?"

"I ain't gots nothin' ta say ta ya. It ain't none of yers business how I raise my kids. That dang Jesse Duke ain't gots no rights intaferin' either!"

"Well, as county commissioner and Judge of Hazzard County, I do have the right! And it is my decision that custody of Betsy-rae goes to Jesse Duke! Further more, you, sir is going to the slammer for, oh, say 15 or 20 years for abusing that poor girl! And I'm going to have my deputy pick up your wife who will be doing some time of her own in the slammer for her part in all of this."

Turning to Rosco, Boss ordered that Mr. Beaudry be taken and booked and handing him a warrant for the arrest of Mrs. Beaudry, he instructed Rosco to have Enos pick her up and book her as well.

That being done, J.D. waved good-bye to the Dukes and the other's whom were in the courtroom and hurried off, hungry for his mid-morning snack.

Betsy-rae smiled broadly when she heard J.D. 's decision. This was the best thing which had ever happened to her. She would finally have a real family. A family who cared about her. She would never have to suffer from her daddy's abuse again. She wouldn't have to be afraid any more. It felt wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

"Yeeehaawww! Let's go home." Bo exclaimed.

Betsy-rae laughed.

Uncle Jessie walked over to Betsy-rae, smiling, he took her hand and led her out of the building and to Daisy's jeep in the parking lot, as Bo, Luke and Daisy followed. Looking down at Betsy-rae, Uncle Jessie spoke the words which they were all thinking.

"Welcome to our family, Betsy-rae."

And that's the story of how little miss Betsy-rae Beaudry became little miss Betsy-rae Duke. Now isn't that nice, y' all?