The New Guy In Town

It was a quiet morning in Hazzard, Bo sr. and Luke were at the garage, (in case you missed it when cooter went to congress, the boys bought the garage), Beth, Debbie, and Daisy were sleeping back at the farm. And Bo jr., with Jake were doing their chores. (a 1967 mustang, roars thru hazzard, oil slick black), (the balladeer: well weve seen what mustangs can do to Hazzard haven't we). The mustangs pulls into Cooters, as bo comes out, the driver of the musclecar climbs out teh window. Bo stood there in shock. It was an image of him, 25 years ago. Bo walks up to the car, : can I help you? Yeah, fill it up please, the driver responded. Bo gasses up the car, and starts to talk to him: So are you new around here? Yes sir, just looking for work, and I have some business with a Bo Duke, the kid told him. Well I'm him, lets go in the garage, Bo shrugged him in. He follows him in. My name is John Waylon Barsdow, My Mother is Mary Ellen Barsdow does that name ring a bell? John told him. Bo looks around, Mary yeah I went with her years ago, when I was running shine why? Bo asks. I have every reason to believe your my father, the kid shoots back. If you notice, I'm 6 foot tall, blond hair, and can out drive everything on the road, also my mother gave me a picture of you and her, when you were seeing each other, and on her deathbed, she told me that you were my father" Bo was in shock, by now Luke had overheard the conversation, How can we believe that you are who you say you are? Look at the picture, also she gave me something to give Bo, (he hands him a old set of keys, the mustang, the initals on the chain were BD), you left this car in her garage, when you being chased, she then told that your cousin, picked you up in a orange stock car", Bo begins to remember, I remember that run, it was the only run to Hueytown Ala., and I was running block for luke, when the car blew a rod, by the time we could come get the car we were on probation. Your mother and I went out for a while she used to drive back and forth to hazzard. But she broke it off with me, she never said why. The reason is, she got pregant by you, and was ashamed to be unmarried and pregant, if you want I, would like to take a blood test, and straighten this out, I'm not looking for money, or land, just answers. Bo, still shaken says ok, I'll drive you to the clinic, for the test, Luke I'll be back in an hour. They jump in the General, and speed off. So, John what have you been doing all this time, Bo asks, trying to break the silence. Well, sir I began to build the car when I was 15, It was basically ruined, I put a new engine, tranny, all new lines, bodywork, and interior in the car. When It was done, I began to race it, After I saw what I could do to a car, I started to work in a garage, then In my senior year I quit school, to race full time. Before then I was working on the grandfathers farm, where me and mom moved, when I was a baby. I played football, and baseball, but everynight when I came home, mom was sitting in that car, mostly laughing, listening to the radio. But she took sick, with a bad heart. My grandparents, couldn't take care of the farm, so I took the responsibilty for the most part, doing what I could. I did make it to Talladega, to watch you race, I then noticed that your driving style and mine were alot alike, also on the tv, I noticed some simularties. Mom would cry, everytime the race was on, and you were in it. That plus what she told me, makes me think you are my father. Like I said, I'm not looking for anything, just to meet you, and maybe get some help, working in the garage. By then Bo was pulling into the clinic, They took the test. Bo: well you gotta be tired after the trip, I'll drop you at the farm, to get some rest if you want. Thanks, yeah it was a long drive. They pull into the yard, Beth meets him at the door, she gives him a kiss. Bo, who's your friend, she asked. This is John, he thinks i'm his father, from the sounds of things he maybe right. I dropped him off to get some rest. Beth asks, you have a second son, Bo Duke, how many kids do you have? Bo replies just 1 for sure, and possibly him, I swear. Ok, go back to the garage, beth reassures him. Come on in, your in time for lunch. Beth introduces John to everybody, This is Daisy, Bo and Lukes cousin, this is Debbie, Lukes wife, Bo jr. Bo's and my son, and Jake, Lukes son. John waves to everyone, and says hi. Beth asks, why do you think Bo is your father. So John lays the story out to them. John: is there a place where I can take a shower and a quick, I'll be more than happy to help with chores afterward? Beth, says: the shower is in there, feel free to clean up. If you need anything just holler. John cleans up, walks out of the bathroom. Beth looks in shock, She see's what John's mother saw. He is now in a black tshirt, and blue jeans. After a shave he is a dead ringer for her husband. Ok, John grab a nap on the couch here, we'll wake you for dinner. Actually maam, the shower woke me up, is there anything I can do to help out? Jake and Bo, are going into town for parts for their car, if you want go with them. Beth tells him. Are you sure that it would be ok, it must be a shock, for Jr. He asks. No he's ok, he always wanted a brother, and this is his chance, with that, the boys came out. Jake, asks, you goin, or staying? I'm goin. He jumps in the back seat. Trying to make small talk, Jr. asks, so what kind of car you got. A 67 mustang, with a 427, 3 on the tree. It pushes 500 h.p., havent lost a race with it. Noticed your car, (77 trans am), it fast too, wouldn't mind racing it, but i dont know the roads. John shoots back. Jake says, it's a 77 trans am, like on the movies, it has the 455 hi output in it, but we need some springs, and a new intake manifold, this one doens't quite have enough to power it the way we want. So, where are we going John asks. To the garage, dad called and he said the parts are in, jake tells him. Cool, then you can see my car, john exclaims. They make into the garage, John, motions them to his mustang, which was moved to make room to pump gas, (john like his father is forgetful at times). John pops the hoods, and shows them the engine. By now Bo and Luke, had already checked the car, over. They run into the shop, and gets the parts, Bo yells, JOHN COME HERE. John walks over. They had to take the test to Atlanta, we should get the results in three days, I already called Beth, and you are bunking with the boys, and working with us. With a car like that, you do have talent. John shoots back, yeeeeeeehaw. Everybody looks around, John, says what, was it something I said?. They all chuckled, no your definatly a Duke with a yell like that, jake tells him. Now Luke, wasn't so receptive, of the kid. Now, boys we don't know that yet. John, jumps in the mustang and says, Jr., Jake lets race back to the farm. The boys say, our pleasure. With that they gun off. Jr. grabs the mic, on his cb, ok, follow us, the handle is bo peep. John shoots back, I dont know about that, by the way this is the #1 hellraiser, thats my handle, over and out. With that the race on. #1 passes peep, just in time for Rosco's kid Brian catches them in the trap, and races out. Peep:, Ok raiser we got smokey, and he is mean, better follow us, or were are in the clink. 10-4, hellraiser falls behind the boys to follow them. They pass a bridge out sign, Uh, guys did you see that sign back there that said bridge out?hellraiser asks. Thats why we want to follow us, there is a part of the bridge left, acts like a ramp, we'll jump it and smokey will get a bath, Jr explains. Jump it, right why not just turn around and run him off the road? Hellraiser asks. That wouldn't be fun, just keep the car floored and follow us. Peep tells him. They make the jump, the mustang lands hard. And the car loses the springs. Raiser, you ok, Peep asks. I'm fine, but my lost has lost the spring in her step, I'm gonna have to limp back to the farm. They pull into the farm, John jumps out of the car, and lays under it, Damn, the springs are shot, and so is the tie rods, John crys out. Bo and Jake walk up the car, well we'll call the shop, and have dad bring the parts back. Bo, tells him.

Later that night Bo and Luke pull in with the parts for the mustang. Everyone is at the table, listening to Johns story, of his first jump. "first Jr, and Jake went first, I hit ramp at 90, and flew over ok, but the landing I hit hard, and felt some snaps and pops. Bo sr. chimes in, The first time we jumped the General, we dropped the transmission, so I feel your pain. Ok, enough with the car talk time for dinner, Daisy tells them. After grace, john ate up, and went outside to fix the car. Bo comes out, well, it dont look too bad, want some help with it. Bo asks. No almost done, is there a place we can talk, john replies. Right here, whats up, bo says. I just want you to know, that whatever comes of this, I really like you and your family, and would like to stay on until I can get settled. I'd like to work in your garage to if I could. It, looks like a 2 man operation with you and Luke, but if there is anything I can do to help. John says. Well ol' Luke wants to work inside, at the desk, and I spend most of the day pumping gas, so the cars we do have to fix, are far behind schedule, so any help would be much apprieciated. Bo tells him. They shake hands and go in the house. John, goes to bed. The next morning, he gets up, and goes to the garage, with Bo and Luke. He spends all day working on the backlog of cars. Bo gets a call, from the post office, he has a registered letter. He goes down to the post office, and gets the letter. It's the results, from the test. Hey John, Luke come here the results are in, Bo exclaims. Bo hands the letter to Luke, and opens it. Lukes reads it over, and says John you are 99.8% Bo's son. Luke gives them both a slap on the back, and winks, you dont know what youv'e gotten yourself into. Bo calls Beth, and she tells everybody. After they got done at the garage, they went home to a big barbeque. That is how the 1hellraiser came to hazzard.