Officer Daisy Duke

blah

This episode from season 2 recently aired on CMT in Canada and I forgot how truly great it is... Its a break from the typical Dukes/guest star vs. Boss and sheriff storyline as it provided an insight into the LEGITIMATE actions of the Hazzard County PD... Sometimes in the Dukes you forget that they would have real responsibilities like any normal police organization as they are always chasing the Dukes and never seem to have any other purpose in life... Anyways I love episodes where Roscoe/Enos/Cletus/Guest Sheriff (as it was in the episode with Grady Byrd) go after real criminals... The chase scenes between Byrd/Robbers and Enos/Robbers are really intense and suspenseful unlike most of the Duke's chase scenes which seem more fantasy than reality. The seriousness of the episode really was a rare departure for the series mainly from episodes from season 3 on which became cliched, predictable (although still fun) garbage dumps... Its one of the few episodes where you truly want to see the Hazzard law catch their man making the chase scenes alot more exciting and making Enos less of a blathering idiot which is always nice... All in all I really like the episode's tone and pace after the messy business of Daisy actually becoming a cop which is a little cheesy, and an attempt at making more similar episodes should have been made. Episodes where the Dukes/the law are united against another foe do appear later in the series however they aren't quite as good simply because Bo and Luke always out shine everyone else, and in this episode the ensemble cast really takes the forefront and a whole new aspect of Hazzard County life appears (Note time and time again Bo and Luke are hampered by some misfortune which keeps them out of the action for a while). Don't get me wrong, I love any Dukes chase scenes, especially those involving Roscoe/Enos, but this episode added a welcome dose of reality which really made the whole concept a lot more appealing as it was sober law men vs. heinous bank robbers instead of the tired Dudley Dooright vs. innocent backwater country pretty boys...

I feel the same way. One of my favorite episodes, for similar reasons, is "To Catch A Duke." This was the one with the husband-and-wife jewelry robbers who ditch the gems outside of the Hazzard Courthouse, and Flash finds the bag of goods and carries it into Rosco's patrol car. Rosco ends up getting fired by Boss, and we get to see Rosco as a person seperate ( and forcibly seperated) from his uniform. We also get to see how much that uniform meant to him, and to what lengths he'd go to, in order to restore himself as Sheriff.

Rosco also displays some competence in this episode, and I always enjoyed it when Rosco and Enos got to win a little.

Brian