Belt Buckle

I have a Dukes of Hazzard belt buckle that I'm looking for more info about.

This was given to me in 1978 by a woman who "almost" got the part as Daisy Duke for the TV show. According to her, upon receiving the call-back from the director, Miss Bach got the part and not her. The director gave her this belt buckle for her time, I guess.

It is rectangular and is a confederate flag with "Dukes of Hazzard 1978" in raised lettering. It is silver plated and red/blue enamel for the colors. On the back is etched "Napolean". I guess this is the company who made this.

The real key here is that this belt buckle was produced before the show aired. I don't know how many of these there are.

I heard there are some floating around with 1980 stamps on them. What's this thing worth?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sean

Howdy Sean -

I'm a serious collector of Dukes merchandise. While I'm no expert on everything they made, I can tell you that the biggest challenge with the belt buckle is proving authenticity.

Your best bet may be in trying to find if the original manufacturer is still in business, and seeing if they can authenticate this item for you. It if's for real, and can be proved so, it would be a good part of a serious Dukes collection.

The value is always in the eye - or wallet - of the bid holder. If you just want to try selling it, put it on ebay with a reserve you're personally comfortable with, and see what happens. But don't make claims about the products' orgination and history that you can't back up.

It sounds like a cool find, but with so many bootleg, unauthorized products being made these days, collectors tend to be cautious. Dukes merchandise has had more than it's share of unlicensed "fakes" made and sold on the internet. Like wall clocks and checkbook covers, for example.

Sorry we don't know more about this product. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!