Fanfic Readers, share your thoughts on fanfic

DaneyDuke

Okay, first of all, I am fond of the original characters mostly. I don't get into all the others, except in a few exceptions. I like any story that involves Enos of course (name says it all LOL), but anything that involves the whole family is great. I especially liked Jamanda's stories, and some of the ones on fanficiton.net like Hazzard Halloween, Drought, Fallen, etc. I can't remember all the names right off, but I also like the ones that portray JD in a little darker light with Rosco and company trying to sort it out. Rosco is great in anything he's featured in, and good solid interaction between Bo and Luke is also great. Maybe I'm getting off-track here, but you get the point, I hope. God bless ya'll for bringing back STORIES!!

• 1 year later...

1. I don't mind OC's (original characters) so long as they are brought in gradually and the author has spent time fleshing them out properly. One pet peeve though are OC's with names that don't fit with the setting.

2. First person stories are pretty rare and there's a reason. I pretty much skip anything that starts with. "I walked into..." Same goes with stories written in present tense. "She walks into the room and looks at him." I've read 1 story by 1 author that actually made that work (not in the DOH fandom, it was an AiW story).

3. Proof-read...please! A few mistakes will always slip through, but when you're dodging one misspelling after another, it's hard to decipher the point of the story.

4. Don't just have strictly conversation. Think about what the character would be doing and put that in. Assume we as readers are imagining the characters on a blank white background and they are speaking in monotone. If you want us to invision them saying something a certain way or in a certain place, describe those things, it makes the story richer.

5. When you write conversation, think about how people actually talk. No one I know actually says, "We will be going to the park this afternoon. We will eat ham sandwiches. Please come with us."

Don't you mean... "Hey, we're going to the park later. You wanna come and eat some sandwiches with us?" or something like that...you get the point.

*None of this is directed at anyone on here or in the DOH fandom, I just happened to have just read a...um...less than wonderful... fanfic in a completely different fandom about an hour ago, lol, so it's all fresh in my mind.

• 3 years later...
1. I don't mind OC's (original characters) so long as they are brought in gradually and the author has spent time fleshing them out properly. One pet peeve though are OC's with names that don't fit with the setting.

2. First person stories are pretty rare and there's a reason. I pretty much skip anything that starts with. "I walked into..." Same goes with stories written in present tense. "She walks into the room and looks at him." I've read 1 story by 1 author that actually made that work (not in the DOH fandom, it was an AiW story).

3. Proof-read...please! A few mistakes will always slip through, but when you're dodging one misspelling after another, it's hard to decipher the point of the story.

4. Don't just have strictly conversation. Think about what the character would be doing and put that in. Assume we as readers are imagining the characters on a blank white background and they are speaking in monotone. If you want us to invision them saying something a certain way or in a certain place, describe those things, it makes the story richer.

5. When you write conversation, think about how people actually talk. No one I know actually says, "We will be going to the park this afternoon. We will eat ham sandwiches. Please come with us."

Don't you mean... "Hey, we're going to the park later. You wanna come and eat some sandwiches with us?" or something like that...you get the point.

*None of this is directed at anyone on here or in the DOH fandom, I just happened to have just read a...um...less than wonderful... fanfic in a completely different fandom about an hour ago, lol, so it's all fresh in my mind.

I was just reading through some old threads and I find EnosIsMyHero's list here is still right on the money. All of the pet-peeves listed really knock me out of a story still as well.