Looking for a black Lancaster Gilligan's Island Skipper's hat

Skipper Duke

Hi all! Diehard Gilligan's Island/Alan Hale Jr. (Skipper Jonas Grumby) fan since age 3 1990. Been on a mission of trying to find the black yacht cap made by Lancaster that he wears in the show 3 seasons 98 episodes 1964-1967 with the hand embroidered gold bullion wire crossed anchors life ring ropes emblem. No luck. I did find one but it isn't Lancaster and has a machine made sewn on patch. Midway Cap Co. Brand from the 1st TV Reunion Movie Rescue From Gilligan's Island(1978) is what I've found during my search for a black one. Ordered it on 4/1/14. Arrived 4/28/14. I only learned the original series '64-'67 brand was Lancaster Uniform Cap Co. Brand in 2010. Well said co. went out of business 1 year later in Jan 2011 after 82 years 1929-2011. But the hats were to expensive at $275 each. Then it was $324 each then it was $375 each finally $359 each before they went out of business. The last ones I learned were sold at Frank's Fisherman Supply near Pier 39 in San Francisco. I can't find a hand embroidered gold bullion wire black yacht cap for an affordable price. Would any of y'all have any suggestions as to where I can look?

On 9/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, HossC said:

There's a pretty good replica for sale at benfordyachthat.com, but it's $249 + postage. On the plus side, it's available in 11 sizes.

Cousin HossC... I found a way and it'll only cost me $100. I found the co. who inherited the Lancaster templates American Patrol Co. He will sell me the emblem done as a patch of the gold bullion $35 including shipping. I can get that patch from Utah and a 2nd $65 Midway Cap Co. hat from Chicago. Midway President said "We can build you a plain hat with black buttons and no emblem." I'm gonna call again and ask her "Can you put the Open Woven Braid on that plain hat with no emblem and the black buttons?" That way I can get a Lancaster replica for just $100.00 and A. P. Co. is the real deal emblem Lancaster cuz it's made from the original templates. :)

On 9/16/2020 at 10:42 PM, Skipper Duke said:

Hi all! Diehard Gilligan's Island/Alan Hale Jr. (Skipper Jonas Grumby) fan since age 3 1990. Been on a mission of trying to find the black yacht cap made by Lancaster that he wears in the show 3 seasons 98 episodes 1964-1967 with the hand embroidered gold bullion wire crossed anchors life ring ropes emblem. No luck. I did find one but it isn't Lancaster and has a machine made sewn on patch. Midway Cap Co. Brand from the 1st TV Reunion Movie Rescue From Gilligan's Island(1978) is what I've found during my search for a black one. Ordered it on 4/1/14. Arrived 4/28/14. I only learned the original series '64-'67 brand was Lancaster Uniform Cap Co. Brand in 2010. Well said co. went out of business 1 year later in Jan 2011 after 82 years 1929-2011. But the hats were to expensive at $275 each. Then it was $324 each then it was $375 each finally $359 each before they went out of business. The last ones I learned were sold at Frank's Fisherman Supply near Pier 39 in San Francisco. I can't find a hand embroidered gold bullion wire black yacht cap for an affordable price. Would any of y'all have any suggestions as to where I can look? Update y'all!!! I found a perfect replica with the black buttons and the open braid and the hand embroidered gold embroidered emblem for $60 including shipping. Co. called World Wing 1.

• 5 weeks later...

Update on this y'all! My long agonizing 30 year search 1990-2020 age 3-33 is over! Ordered on Oct 3. Just got messaged by the eBay that it's being shipped. Not much longer now y'all. All mine pretty soon.

received_962590287560824.jpeg

Edited by Skipper Duke
I forgot to put the pic in here.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...