The Andy Griffith Show(1960-1968)

Skipper Duke

Well folks... This show might go under attack next by the bs cancel culture. They are now posting a disclaimer at the start of each of episode of Gilligan's Island stating Gilligan's Island was made in the '60s. It has outdated language and cultural stereotypes. I wouldn't be surprised if that's next for The Andy Griffith Show any network showing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems that the actor Parley Baer, who played "Mayor Stoner" on the show was always cast as an antagonist. He was brought on after the untimely death of actor Dick Elliot, who played the bumbling, more benign "Mayor Pike" in earlier episodes. Andy Griffith never wanted a mayor to be cast on the show originally, but the producers talked him into it. It seemed to show in the writing that the sheriff and mayor were always at odds with one another. Some interesting facts about Baer: Early in his career, he was a circus ringmaster. He was also a highly decorated captain in the Army Air Corps during WW2. To children who for many years watched Keebler cookie commercials, he was the voice of "Ernie the Elf!" :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The same joke the other way around appeared in the British prison sitcom 'Porridge' about 10 years later. 'Porridge' was remade in the US as 'On The Rocks' featuring Rick Hurst, so the joke may have been used there as well. I'm guessing that it's an old joke that both sets of writers incorporated into their scripts, rather than one copying the other.

• 1 month later...

In the episode where ”cousin Gloria” comes to stay at Andy’s…I never understood Aunt Bee’s scolding of Andy for “being too nice and throwing competition into Helen’s face” ……when it was Aunt Bee herself who lectured Andy before Gloria arrived about how he had better be extra nice to her.  

Somebody ‘splain this to me!

In our first meeting with Ernest T Bass, he writes some fairly well-written notes on a rock and heaves them through the Darling's windows.   Then later in the series,  we learn he is illiterate and wants an education.   He only knows a handful of words and almost no math.   These are the things that keep me up at night.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

(Season 4 Opie the Birdman)

Andy:(Goes to Opie's room.)"Let's have it! You know what I'm talkin' about. Let's have it. You remember me tellin' you to be careful with this thing?" Opie:"I'm sorry Pa." Andy:"That won't bring that bird back to life. Bein' sorry is not the magic word that makes everything right again." Andy(Raises window):"You hear that? That's those young birds chirpin' fer their momma that's never comin' back. Now you just listen to that for awhile."

Edited by Skipper Duke
Forgot the word young

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Facebook friend Rob Young about this show:

"The world needs to watch this show. the police officers in our town need to watch this show the people of bushnell need to watch this show. We all do and take HEED. I don’t leave myself out of this post. Treat people like people we are all guilty of something. If you say your not, your a liar."

• 1 month later...