Dukes Trivia

Believe it or not, I've never seen Gilligan's Island. I know it was popular in the US, but Wikipedia says that only 13 episodes were shown on UK TV before it was cancelled, and that was in 1965! Many of my favorite childhood shows were American, but I didn't get a chance to see this one.

I checked out the IMDb page to see who was in the show, and I spotted quite a few big names making one-off appearances. Back to the original question though, I see that Rod Amateau directed a couple of episodes of Gilligan's Island (he directed 7 episodes of Dukes and produced 36). Coincidentally, one of the Gilligan's Island episodes he directed was called 'Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk', half of which is the title of the Dukes episode that Roger reviewed yesterday. Further down the credits list, I spotted that Bruce Howard had a hand in writing 5 episodes of Gilligan's Island. He gets 19 writing credits for Dukes.

1 minute ago, HossC said:

Believe it or not, I've never seen Gilligan's Island. I know it was popular in the US, but Wikipedia says that only 13 episodes were shown on UK TV before it was cancelled, and that was in 1965! Many of my favorite childhood shows were American, but I didn't get a chance to see this one.

I checked out the IMDb page to see who was in the show, and I spotted quite a few big names making one-off appearances. Back to the original question though, I see that Rod Amateau directed a couple of episodes of Gilligan's Island (he directed 7 episodes of Dukes and produced 36). Coincidentally, one of the Gilligan's Island episodes he directed was called 'Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk', half of which is the title of the Dukes episode that Roger reviewed yesterday. Further down the credits list, I spotted that Bruce Howard had a hand in writing 5 episodes of Gilligan's Island. He gets 19 writing credits for Dukes.

HossC yep! :)

23 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Hoss... Do you get many TV channels over there across the pond buddy?

When Dukes first started, we had three channels, but now we have satellite and cable TV offering hundreds of channels depending on how much you want to pay. Ireland has fewer free-to-air terrestrial channels than the UK, but both can get between 50 and 100 free channels on satellite. Note that both the UK and Ireland have mandatory TV license fees of about $200 per year to pay for the state broadcasters and public service programs. In the UK that means that the BBC is able to provide a handful of commercial-free TV channels as well as many commercial-free national and local radio stations..

36 minutes ago, HossC said:

When Dukes first started, we had three channels, but now we have satellite and cable TV offering hundreds of channels depending on how much you want to pay. Ireland has fewer free-to-air terrestrial channels than the UK, but both can get between 50 and 100 free channels on satellite. Note that both the UK and Ireland have mandatory TV license fees of about $200 per year to pay for the state broadcasters and public service programs. In the UK that means that the BBC is able to provide a handful of commercial-free TV channels as well as many commercial-free national and local radio stations..

Wow cousin Hoss! :)

3 hours ago, Skipper Duke said:

Wow cousin Hoss! :)

I'm not sure which part of my answer the "Wow" was directed at, but if it's that last part... Dukes was originally shown on the commercial-free BBC in the UK. Then I got the DVDs. It was only recently when one of our satellite channels started reshowing Dukes that my Hazzard viewing experience was interrupted by commercials breaks for the first time. I think I prefer my Dukes without the adverts!

7 minutes ago, HossC said:

I'm not sure which part of my answer the "Wow" was directed at, but if it's that last part... Dukes was originally shown on the commercial-free BBC in the UK. Then I got the DVDs. It was only recently when one of our satellite channels started reshowing Dukes that my Hazzard viewing experience was interrupted by commercials breaks for the first time. I think I prefer my Dukes without the adverts!

Of course cousin Hoss! No interruptions and no deleted scenes make it better to watch! :)

• 2 weeks later...