Can anyone explain these pictures?

I haven't read all through this forum yet so I don't know if this has already been discussed...

The pictures are here and here.

What do you suppose the story is behind the weird "General Lee" in those pictures? The paint is a lighter orange (looks like it is supposed to be faded?), the wheels are black stamped steel, there is no push bumper, the "01" is in the "wrong" type of font and there doesn't seem to be anything painted on the roof (no flag or "General Lee" text that I can see).

From all the other pictures of the General Lee on that site and other sites, we know that the General Lee to be in this new movie is pretty faithful to the car from the original series (other than it having the wrong size wheels and tires and having the damnable white letter side of the tires showing :x) so I wonder how the orange Charger with the "01" on the doors from those two pictures fits into that. Any ideas?

This is a guess and only my opinion. But possibly this "Different" General Lee was used for images that were ment to be edited by a computer. An in that case computers often automatically make things look differently an that cant be helped. So maybe they made this General Lee look different so that it would appear in its proper form when edited on a computer or different devise.

Just a thought, but very intersting picture. Thank you for sharing.

~Chet

I wouldn't panic, man. The cars without the full uniform of the General could be stunt doubles, so to speak.

Yeah, but that one looks like it was intentionally made to look different. Not only does it not have the full uniform of the General Lee, but the font of the "01" is very different (the "0" is oval and the "1" doesn't have the flat base and a different style serif on top). Then of course the orange color is a much lighter shade and looks to be old and faded with a lot of little dings in the body.

My first thought when I saw it was that maybe they were going to do an "origins" type scene for the General Lee and maybe that is what the car was supposed to have already looked like when the Dukes acquired it and they fixed it up, keeping the same general theme and adding a few things in the process. This would fly in the face of what we know from the episode of the original series entitled "Happy Birthday General Lee" of course...

There's another car off to the side thats a bright orange. I wouldnt fret too much. Ya know all this complaining is starting to remind me of star wars fanboys or Marvel fanboys. Dont get me wrong, there are things I dont like as well...but eh...I dunno just a thought. :)

There's another car off to the side thats a bright orange. I wouldnt fret too much. Ya know all this complaining is starting to remind me of star wars fanboys or Marvel fanboys. Dont get me wrong, there are things I dont like as well...but eh...I dunno just a thought. :)
"Complaining"? LOL. I am not complaining. I am curious as to how this car will play into the story (if it does at all). I know that the correct General Lee is in the background. I have also seen tons of other pictures of the correct General Lee for the movie. This one is different. How do you even get a paint job like that? If you spray a fresh coat of paint, it doesn't look like it has been sitting in the sun for 20 years. They purposely made that one look old (or they found one that actually did set in the sun for 20 years with an orange paint job) and they purposely put a completely different style "01" on the door:

sbs.jpg

I am looking forward to the movie. I am also looking forward to seeing how this particular oddball Charger will be used; if it is used at all.

I think the underdressed and somewhat depressed General Lee is destined for a spectacular crash in the movie. Who knows, maybe the interior is used in some scene or another while the car is doing a barrel-roll in midair. Anything is possible.

Why use the wrong font for the "01"? If they don't plan to show the side of the car, why put the "01" on at all? If they plan to show the door of the car, they can't pass it off as "the" General Lee with the wrong font. They make up 30 or so identical General Lees all with the standard font like on the original cars from the show and then on just one they decide to mix things up with a random type of font for the "01" as well as make the paint job look old and faded, ding up the body a bit and slap black steelies on it? You don't get the "01" font correct on 30 cars (or however many they made) and wrong on one by chance or by accident. That font isn't just a little off, it is completely different and anyone with half an eye could spot the difference immediately. It doesn't make sense to me unless they did it all specifically for part of the story.

Dude, this is obviously a clunker that they probably picked up for a song in order to bash up for a stunt. And they coulda took the time to paint it authentically before using it in the movie - if, in fact, they used it at all.

Seriously, they could have used it to show just the underbody of the car in flight, during a jump. All depends on the purpose, camera angle, whatever.

Another possibility - it belonged to a fan who had it illegally parked, who wanted to get somebody to autograph the dashboard. Heh heh.

:wink:

Brian

Dude, this is obviously a clunker that they probably picked up for a song in order to bash up for a stunt. And they coulda took the time to paint it authentically before using it in the movie - if, in fact, they used it at all.

Seriously, they could have used it to show just the underbody of the car in flight, during a jump. All depends on the purpose, camera angle, whatever.

Another possibility - it belonged to a fan who had it illegally parked, who wanted to get somebody to autograph the dashboard. Heh heh.

:wink:

Brian

I guess we'll find out when the movie comes out. I'm betting (no more than a dollar, lol) on an "origins" scene showing that car as the starting point for the General Lee.

If they bought it from someone already looking like that I would be surprised. The "01" is professionally applied and people who have the resources and inclination to professionally apply paint or decals like that, at least should know that the numbers are supposed to be blocky, not round.

If it was on there with a magic marker or a brush and housepaint, I could see it being the wrong font on a charger that already happened to be orange that the studio picked up on the cheap.

Here's the story...

The faded orange GL is how it starts life in the movie. I can't get into the story line too much here, but Bo and Luke stumble upon it, they gas it up, rev it up, jump it and slide into a tractor. The left side is demolished. Cooter gets the car and makes it shiny and famous. The reason the font is different is because it's "hand painted" and meant to look rough. Don't worry, the flag shall be on the car after that.

The lady that painted all these faded cars was awesome. All the rust and scratches were hand painted by her. Even the darkened gas drippage down the left rear quarter was painted! On all the cars too. Talk about having to be precise and consistant.

Anyway, all this will be seen on the DVD. The DVD should have a second disc, showing A LOT of video. Even if the movie is bad, which I doubt it will be, I'm buying the DVD just for Special Effects and Stunts specials. There are a lot of them.

Anyhoo, that's about it. Enjoy.

Scott...

How do you know thats why they painted the General Lee's like that. Dont get me wrong Im not calling you a lier but how do you know?

The storyline sounds very interesting, an im interested to find out more about it before going to see the new movie. Especially since I heard what John Schneider had to say about the rough draft he read. He liked it! So Im very curious, I will be going to see the movie and probably buy it when it comes out. I think its gonna be cool (nothing can take the place of the old Dukes, but this modern day thing is going to be fun) an worth taking a look at an enjoying.

~Chet

Boy, y'all got some quick response time! All GL's used were painted the same color; the shiny orange. For the beginning shots, several GL's were scotch-brighted (if that's even a word) to rough up the paint. They were going to use a custom mix, like an orange primer, but since they had 30,000 gallons of the shiny stuff, they chose to keep it simple. The Special Effects lady then got on the ground and hand painted the 01's, the rust, fuel stains, scratches and even dust. She had to do this to keep all the GL's consistent between shots. The dull finish is what the Duke Boys stumbled upon in the movie. With aspirations of circle track racing the "01" was painted on by hand. Then after Cooter gets through with it...well, you know.

The Special Effects team even hand painted and detailed the finished cars. The back window winds up broken (I didn't say that) and stays that way for quite a while. Several of these windows were made using plexi and sugar glass so they'd all look the same from car to car. There's a dent/scratch on the right front fender that remains almost throughout the whole film. The dent is real. Usually caused by a foot on all the fenders, but the scratches in it are all painted. Again, for consistency. A LOT of detail has gone into the making of this film and the stunts alone will be worth the admission price!

I hope this answers your questions. After the movie release I get to release all my pictures and movies I took. It was a fun ride to say the least!

Nope. That still dont answer my question. I understood ya the first time Scott when you explained HOW they made these DIFFERENT General Lee's look the way they do.

My question was HOW do you know that hows they did this. But by the way you talk I asume you went to one of the filmings or was on base when they actually did this.

~Chet

P.S. If anyone would like to see a handfull of creative ways the General Lee could be painted DIFFERENTLY just email me. I have a bunch of models of future General Lees that I have thought of.

scott{ our hazzard insider!!!}

hey man that must be pretty neat! i have a replica diecast of general and dixie and plan on filming my own stunts w/ general and a hummer h2 police car ,i even have a evil general lee{black 1971 dodge charger}

now if i only had a real general lee khee khee but a replica is better than nothing ...

btw any news on dukes action figures?i kinda want a daisy one lol...

DOH action figures, huh? That would be cool. Johnny would set himself on fire when you got him out of the box, Burt/Hogg would wreck every Mustang you put him in and Jessica/Daisy would be difficult to work with and throw up after she eats. Hmmmm. Don't think she'd be a big seller. LOL

Here's the story...

The faded orange GL is how it starts life in the movie. I can't get into the story line too much here, but Bo and Luke stumble upon it, they gas it up, rev it up, jump it and slide into a tractor. The left side is demolished. Cooter gets the car and makes it shiny and famous. The reason the font is different is because it's "hand painted" and meant to look rough. Don't worry, the flag shall be on the car after that.

The lady that painted all these faded cars was awesome. All the rust and scratches were hand painted by her. Even the darkened gas drippage down the left rear quarter was painted! On all the cars too. Talk about having to be precise and consistant.

Anyway, all this will be seen on the DVD. The DVD should have a second disc, showing A LOT of video. Even if the movie is bad, which I doubt it will be, I'm buying the DVD just for Special Effects and Stunts specials. There are a lot of them.

Anyhoo, that's about it. Enjoy.

AHA! That's awesome. So did anyone take me up on that dollar bet (lol)? The funny thing about this is I argued with my friend for like an hour last night about how much effort it takes to paint a car to simulate age like was done on that faded Charger. He's quite a painter/bodyman/mechanic/fabricator and was downplaying the whole thing in terms of the effort required. I have no doubt he could do it but I sure as hell couldn't. What you said here:

For the beginning shots, several GL's were scotch-brighted (if that's even a word) to rough up the paint.

Is right along the same lines as what my friend was saying about how it would have been done; among other things, like what you said here:

All the rust and scratches were hand painted by her. Even the darkened gas drippage down the left rear quarter was painted! On all the cars too. Talk about having to be precise and consistant.

Thanks for the inside information BTW.

Some great info came out of this topic, thanks Maxim. When you started this thread, I have to admit I didn't really consider the angle you presented it from - because I've seen a lot of "would be " Generals out there. It would not have surprised me in the least, had the car been some clunker from Minnesota or something. ( Not all General replicas are made with exactin' standards, to say the least.)

Sounds like you already had a pretty good idea as to the car's purpose, though. Good thing Scott was paying attention and knew the facts, because I was asleep at the wheel. Thanks again Scott!

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't read all through this forum yet so I don't know if this has already been discussed...

The pictures are here and here.

What do you suppose the story is behind the weird "General Lee" in those pictures? The paint is a lighter orange (looks like it is supposed to be faded?), the wheels are black stamped steel, there is no push bumper, the "01" is in the "wrong" type of font and there doesn't seem to be anything painted on the roof (no flag or "General Lee" text that I can see).

From all the other pictures of the General Lee on that site and other sites, we know that the General Lee to be in this new movie is pretty faithful to the car from the original series (other than it having the wrong size wheels and tires and having the damnable white letter side of the tires showing :x) so I wonder how the orange Charger with the "01" on the doors from those two pictures fits into that. Any ideas?

did you not see hte real general in the back row??