Uncle Jesse's episode reviews

Road Pirates....season 2

-- Boss buys $100,000 worth of stolen TV sets for $10,000. Before he can get them the semi truck delivering them is hijacked. Boss arrests Bo, Luke and Cletus for stealing them but the real thief was the guy who stole them to begin with. He and his 2 henchmen have been highjacking a lot of trucks lately and Luke sneaks in the back of one and follows the bad guys to their hideaway. He gets caught and takes off on a dirt bike and (as bad Duke luck would have it) all 3 bad guys are better than Emma Tisdale on 2 wheels but Luke gets away and the bad boys go to jail. 

-- Cletus was Auxiliary Deputy before but in this one he is Reserve Deputy. He is a deputy because "Doc Petticord decided to separate Enos from his appendix"

-- Bo and Luke rigged up a Nitros Oxide System (NOS) to Cletus's patrol car. Good thing they did because they needed it when the 3 had to jump a creek to escape from Rosco. 

-- After he saw Boss and Rosco fall in wet cement Cooter took off his hat, looked up to Heaven and said "Thank you Sir for a perfect day"

-- At the end when the #1 bad guy fell into Cletus's arms after a bad dirt bike jump catapulted him into a tree Jesse said "That's one of your better catches" 

-- Daisy pinned Cletus's badge back on. It looked like he was squirming because she was so close but it was because he was in pain from getting stuck. 

-- This was a good episode although I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. There weren't as many twists and funny quotes as usual. Since I love dirt bikes so much I loved the ending. 

This was a good episode although I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. There weren't as many twists and funny quotes as usual. Since I love dirt bikes so much I loved the ending. 

I agree completely. However, for some reason, to me, this episode seems to last a lot longer than all the others, not because it's boring or bad, but it just seems like it lasts twice as long for some reason!

12 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I agree completely. However, for some reason, to me, this episode seems to last a lot longer than all the others, not because it's boring or bad, but it just seems like it lasts twice as long for some reason!

Great minds think alike. I agree. It did seem longer even though it wasn't.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:22 PM, RogerDuke said:

ROFL....If it helps, have her sign up for the HazzardNet. That way every time you're watching an episode she can log in and yell at me. That way we're all happy. You're happy because you're watching Dukes. I'm happy because I helped you watch Dukes. She's happy because she gets to blow off steam to the guy that started all the trouble.

You gone and done it. I popped in Season 4 Disc 1 to watch while eating breakfast. Watched episode 2 Double Dukes. Noticed a lot of things in the background at the boars nest I never noticed before. In Boss's office there's a Paul Baxley sign with a phone Number. Also listened to the commentary for a few minutes, Tom Wopat sure doesn't seem like he liked doing them as much as Cathy or John did. ...Done hijacking your thread buddy... now back to season 2...

• , Tom Wopat sure doesn't seem like he liked doing them as much as Cathy or John did.

I've seen him talk about the show  in a demeaning way and refer to the " Laugh Scene" at the end of each show, with a derisive attitude. I think he needs to get a grip. He wouldn't  be anywhere, if it wasn't for this show! 

The Ghost of General Lee....season 2

-- Two bad guys steal the General Lee when Bo and Luke are skinny dipping and Rosco starts chasing them but he thinks it's the Dukes in the General. The bad guys jump out of the car before it crashes into the pond but Rosco concludes the Dukes are dead after Enos jumps in and finds their clothes. Bo and Luke eventually make it home in scarecrow clothes much to the surprise of Jesse, Daisy and Cooter who were hosting a wake. While this was going on Boss devised the most despicable act in the history of the series. Thinking the boys were dead he blamed them for stealing the valuable watch and chain of Jefferson Davis so he could collect the insurance money. In the end the bad guys get caught stealing Boss's safe and the Sweetwater Sheriff forces Boss to open it, exposing the watch which meant he had to give back the money to the insurance company and also proving the boys were innocent. 

-- The part where a crying Jesse was sitting down with Rosco in the Boar's Nest after being told the boys were dead was one of the most emotional in Dukes history. 

-- The scene where the General was in ghost mode was so famous that a model car company even made a Ghost General Lee car. 

-- I loved seeing Rosco's reaction when chasing the Dukes later in the show again after earlier thinking they were dead. He was one happy Sheriff. Rosco just wouldn't be Rosco if he couldn't chase the Dukes. 

-- There was a blooper in the pre-opening song scenes. Jesse said " That wake in there is for you" when his mouth wasn't moving. 

-- This episode is pretty iconic but seeing 'ol Jesse's pain is a bit too much for me. While I understand why people like it so much I catch myself skipping it over when I'm looking for a random episode to watch. 

- The part where a crying Jesse was sitting down with Rosco in the Boar's Nest after being told the boys were dead was one of the most emotional in Dukes history. 

If you'll notice ( and this is the Psychologist coming out in me...B.S.p '88),  Jesse, while hurting over the news about Bo and Luke, held Rosco's hand, as Rosco was telling Jesse how much he would miss them. When you're hurting, it comforts you to comfort someone else who is hurting too! 

I loved seeing Rosco's reaction when chasing the Dukes later in the show again after earlier thinking they were dead. He was one happy Sheriff. Rosco just wouldn't be Rosco if he couldn't chase the Dukes. 

The line he said right after, was, " Just like old times!" He actually enjoyed chasing them! LOL!! :) 

There was a blooper in the pre-opening song scenes. Jesse said " That wake in there is for you" when his mouth wasn't moving. 

I noticed that before. There is also a blooper like that when Daisy is …..???? Talking to Jude?

That scene with Rosco and Jesse is a perfect example of why the REAL actors who made the show, surprisingly enough, weren't Bo and Luke, but Sorrell, Denver and Jimmy!

11 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

I noticed that before. There is also a blooper like that when Daisy is …..???? Talking to Jude?

You're right but the difference is......if I'm recalling correctly.....the Daisy blooper happened during the episode, not in the pre-opening song scenes. There are a couple episodes where my DVDs are defective. I think the 2 episodes are Jude Emery and R.I.P. Henry Flatt. I also agree about the 3 older actors....and of course if it weren't for Cooter fixing the General in a couple hours after a crash that would have totaled a normal car, the Duke boys would be riding bicycles......or walking since they'd probably crash them to pieces also.....or saddling up Maudeen the mule and riding double. Which reminds me. I loved it when the police had 3-wheelers. Too bad they didn't have BMX style stunt bikes back then. 

Edited by RogerDuke

Dukes Meet Cale Yarborough....season 2

-- After getting tricked by Rosco into crossing the state line the Dukes boys stumble across Cale Yarborough and his mechanic testing a new turbocharger in a white 1969 Dodge Charger. Cale trusts them right away after finding out his friend Skeeter was an old friend of Jesse's. They get Cooter to help Cale with a turbocharger part but the Jethro brothers put bugs in both Chargers because they're trying to steal the turbo because, like Cale, they want to win the Illinois 500. Because of the bugs every time the Dukes tried something their plans "didn't work worth a pitcher of spit." (Waylon). After discovering and destroying the bugs the Dukes painted Cale's car like a General Lee and added a third General. With all the Generals running around Waylon said "Luke's plan was to confuse the enemy and he did a pretty fair job of confusing me." In the end they threw the turbo into the real General to jump over the law and later Cale put it in his car to win at Illinois (a trip all 4 Dukes took). The Jethro brothers finished last. 

-- We get to see The Jump again...the big creek jump we see in every opening song. This time Cale was in the back seat.

-- Speaking of opening songs this ep has the scene with Enos holding playing cards and saying "Go Fish" with that big grin. I also loved his line in this ep "Roadblock number two's as good as buttermilk" lol...poor Boss was upset because he was roadblock 3 and not 1.

-- Seeing 3 Generals going down the road together might have been the favorite all-time scene for General Lee fans. Back then it seemed like every county in America had at least 3 folks who built their own GL. To this day it is still the most famous car in the world. 

Edited by RogerDuke

Hazzard Connection....season 2

-- Demolition Derby owner Augie Detweiller is hiding expensive stolen racing engines in old junk cars to smuggle them. Bo and Luke have been delivering demolition cars to Augie for his shows and know that something fishy is going on so they decide to dig a little deeper. Boss also knows Augie is up to no good but doesn't know what it is....but he suspects that Bo and Luke are part of whatever illegal activity is going on. Because the Duke boys are on probation Augie assumes they are bad guys and invites them to work for him (without telling them exactly what his operation is). After the boys figure out what is going on they end up taking some evidence (stolen engines) to the state police and Augie and his gang get busted. 

--Rosco called Enos and Boss meadowmuffins in this ep. Every time I hear that I always think of HazzardNet's Supreme Superior Commander.

-- Blooper in this one when Bo and Luke are in the car carrier at the end driving down the road. Even though there are 2 cars on it, for awhile there are 6. 

-- Cooter has a baseball and mitt in 2 scenes. Does anybody know if this is the only baseball reference in all 7 seasons? 

-- When the boys were taking a demolition car to Augie it was a running mid 60s Mustang with a good body. I just thought: Please No! Don't destroy that!

-- I loved the 2 scenes with Jesse plowing a field with Maudeen the Mule. At the end Daisy comes in with the tractor she fixed. Poor Maudeen. She looked like she was having fun and Daisy ruined it. 

-- great Waylon quote to start the show "There's places in this part of the South that are so peaceful and quiet that a man could almost sit and listen to his hair grow. In case any of y'all gotta be told, this ain't one of them places."

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

-- When the boys were taking a demolition car to Augie it was a running mid 60s Mustang with a good body. I just thought: Please No! Don't destroy that!

Between this and CHiPs, I'm thinking that a lot lately. Back then they were 10-15 year-old clunkers. Now they'd be 50-55 year-old classics. Admittedly, a lot of the cars they wrecked were dull, mass-produced vehicles which probably weren't worth saving, but then you see a solid Mustang, Cougar, Camaro or Firebird destroyed :(.

BTW. Thanks for reminding me about 'Hazzard Connection', Roger. It's one of two or three episodes I've missed during the current UK airing. There are others that I've got to see twice!

:previous:

Cletus crashes a Cougar in 'The Rustlers', and Toby's Cougar gets wrecked in the prize race in 'Carnival of Thrills' ("His daddy don't know he's got the car."). A couple have also been destroyed in the first three seasons of CHiPs.

I have a 1:18 diecast model of a 1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator in yellow. It fits in nicely with the other cars I have from that era.

I should probably include Chevelles in my list as quite a few late '60s models get wiped out too.

-Rosco called Enos and Boss meadowmuffins in this ep. Every time I hear that I always think of HazzardNet's Supreme Superior Commander.

Oh Yes!!   I hope she's doing well. We miss you Muffn! ( She's a very nice young lady!) Stay in touch as best you can and keep us up on things!-

great Waylon quote to start the show "There's places in this part of the South that are so peaceful and quiet that a man could almost sit and listen to his hair grow. In case any of y'all gotta be told, this ain't one of them places." 

I always thought he had the best lines!!

Witness for the Persecution....season 2

--Jesse always wants to do the right thing so he agrees to use the farm as a safe house to protect a government witness who is going to testify against a major racketeer. He also agrees to treat the witness like royalty and give him everything he wants. When they bring the witness in, to Jesse's surprise it's Boss Hogg. Boss thinks that being a witness will make him such a big hero he might even become Governor of Georgia. Two hitmen with a high powered rifle, driving a cranberry colored Cougar are shooting everything in sight even though Boss is rumored to be in a dozen different places out of town. When Rosco dresses up like Boss and even uses his car and cigars the hitmen try to shoot him but he is saved by the Duke boys when they throw oil on him, exposing that he isn't Boss. Eventually the hitmen get thrown in jail after their Cougar splashes in a pond that looked like sewer water. The racketeer pled guilty so Boss never got to testify and Jesse got a certificate of valor from the US President. It was spelled Jessie Duke and Family....Waylon acknowledged the incorrect spelling. 

-- At the beginning the hitmen were randomly target practicing and shot a no hunting sign. They didn't know the Duke boys were close and Bo said "Who the heck would be shooting at us?" Luke responded "Any one of a number of the fathers of them girls you been dating." 

-- Pretty good episode. It was strange to hear Rosco say he'd become Boss if Boss died. That's what happened in the reunion movie (that I hated and will never see again) 

13 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

Cletus crashes a Cougar in 'The Rustlers', and Toby's Cougar gets wrecked in the prize race in 'Carnival of Thrills' ("His daddy don't know he's got the car."). A couple have also been destroyed in the first three seasons of CHiPs.

See Witness for the Persecution review for another Cougar. 

12 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Two hitmen with a high powered rifle,......I always thought it was funny when that Fed. told Jesse, " They've got hit men everywhere!".....TWO hit men.....everywhere!....LOL!

LOL....You're right about that. I suppose though if you were the Duke boys and Boss it did feel like they were everywhere. 

Granny Annie....season 2

-- Granny Annie forces the Duke Boys to take money for fixing her roof even though they don't want it. They spend a 5 dollar bill at the Boar's Nest. Boss finds out that it's fake and makes a deal with Big Jim Downey for the engraving plates even though Boss has no idea where they are. (he blames greed). The Dukes find out that Boss knows about the fake bills and go back to tell Granny and she claims it was money from her late husband's moonshine deals. (Jesse said they were never married). The Dukes figured out Granny was counterfeiting the fives but Rosco followed their oil trail there and got the engraving plates and gave them to Boss. Boss doubled his asking price but Big Jim bought them anyways but Bo, Luke and BB Davenport (Cooter's other cousin) stole them in a classic shuck and jive. After Big Jim got his money back from Boss he was driving him away to kill him but a tied up Rosco made a tearful plea to the Dukes to save him which they did....with the help of Jesse, Daisy, BB and Rosco who got loose.

-- The Oak Ridge Boys are the first celebrity victims of Rosco's speed trap. They sing early in the episode even though everybody else ends up singing at the end...except Mickey Gilley who sings twice. 

-- I just love these old Southern ladies....Granny Annie, Swamp Molly and Emma Tisdale...and all 3 love Jesse. 

-- I love the scene where Granny is driving Enos's patrol car and he's a passenger and they're singing The Old Rugged Cross. 

--BB's truck is listed on the door with Cooter's logo as Unit#2 even though it is only a pick-up, not a wrecker. It says BB and not Cooter.

-- While racing BB at the beginning Bo said to Luke "Why don't you let him win just this one time?" Luke responded "You sure are generous when I'm driving".