Uncle Jesse’s Truck

MonacoMan

It came today...1:18 scale diecast model of Uncle Jesse’s white 1973 Ford Truck F-100, by Greenlight—it’s awesome!! :tup: It’s now displayed with my Uncle Jesse action figure standing outside the driver’s side & Cooter’s action figure standing on the passenger side...next to the General Lee w/Bo & Luke action figures sitting out of the windows, Daisy’s 1971 Plymouth Satellite w/Daisy’s action figure sitting on the hood, and Rosco’s 1977 Plymouth Fury Patrol car (also by Greenlight...General Lee & Satellite are by Auto World) w/Rosco’s, Cletus/Enos’ & Boss Hogg’s action figures standing around it! 

The Greenlight models are not officially stated “Dukes of Hazzard” on the boxes, as I think there’s licensing issues if you state it directly from the show...but the models are meant to be from the show—even with the Georgia license plate from “Dukes” on the truck & Rosco’s patrol car is a “Hazzard County” sheriffs car. ;) Now all they need to make is a model of Boss Hogg’s Cadillac!

The only issue I have with the Greenlight models is they don’t have a working steering wheel...therefore the tires don’t turn & so you can’t pose the wheels like the cars are getting ready to turn a corner. But other than that they are amazing! 

5541F4A9-A644-466D-9689-30DF30DACB17.jpeg

One thing I’ve noticed about Uncle Jesse’s truck in the show, is lots of times there’s kind of a “blacked-out” strip on the tailgate where it would say ‘Ford’. Is this because Ford hadn’t officially endorsed their brand to be used in the show & producers didn’t want to have to pay them, or something? Just curious...

:previous:

I could've sworn that I posted a similar picture to this, but I can't find it, so I'm borrowing one of Roth's. It shows how they taped the individual letters of Plymouth:

15290059744_9dcfcb2964_o.jpg

There were a few brands visible in early episodes. Boss' Caddy started out with its original door mirrors, complete with Cadillac logo, but they later got replaced with aftermarket models. Dixie's Jeep logos were also on show at the beginning, but they were later removed or taped over, despite the car being placed in the show. In 'Mary Kaye's Baby' they even describe Cooter's car as "A 1975 blue Plymouth Fury", but it didn't last.

I'm guessing that they just took the decision not to promote any brands, or it could've been a clearance issue.

6 hours ago, MonacoMan said:

One thing I’ve noticed about Uncle Jesse’s truck in the show, is lots of times there’s kind of a “blacked-out” strip on the tailgate where it would say ‘Ford’. Is this because Ford hadn’t officially endorsed their brand to be used in the show & producers didn’t want to have to pay them, or something? Just curious...

I've wondered that too. You would think that Ford would be happy to have their name displayed. You would think that Ford would pay them just to get advertising. It seems odd that they would have had to pay Ford but I suspect you are right and that's the way things were. Maybe Chevrolet and/or Mopar had commercials on during the show and they demanded Ford be covered.....probably not.....I'm just shooting at the hip. 

On 11/23/2019 at 4:17 AM, HossC said:

From near the start of season 3, "Some Automobiles Supplied by: AMC" appeared in the end credits of the show, so they probably wouldn't have wanted Ford being promoted. However, as I said above, even Daisy's Jeep logos were covered (AMC owned Jeep at the time).

Some AMC cars were used...but Jeep was/is owned by Chrysler—which also owned divisions Dodge & Plymouth. 

On 11/22/2019 at 3:19 PM, HossC said:

:previous:

I could've sworn that I posted a similar picture to this, but I can't find it, so I'm borrowing one of Roth's. It shows how they taped the individual letters of Plymouth:

15290059744_9dcfcb2964_o.jpg

There were a few brands visible in early episodes. Boss' Caddy started out with its original door mirrors, complete with Cadillac logo, but they later got replaced with aftermarket models. Dixie's Jeep logos were also on show at the beginning, but they were later removed or taped over, despite the car being placed in the show. In 'Mary Kaye's Baby' they even describe Cooter's car as "A 1975 blue Plymouth Fury", but it didn't last.

I'm guessing that they just took the decision not to promote any brands, or it could've been a clearance issue.

Even if they taped letters on, it was still a Plymouth...not sure why they’d do that?? But, covering up brands and their logos/names because they didn’t want to probably have to pay royalties to those companies for the use of their products, makes a little more sense. But, a lot of the cars were older and most likely studio cars already on the lot (for bad guys & guest stars anyway) so I wouldn’t think having to cover anything up would be necessary? Also, from what I understand Jeep gave the show a couple new Jeeps to use and of course promote with Daisy. So covering up the name and logos makes literally no sense?? :confused: 

On 11/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, RogerDuke said:

I wouldn't have noticed the tape over the Plymouth name if you wouldn't have pointed it out. I pay attention to details in some things but not usually when watching TV or movies. When we used to have a blooper thread (or 2) on here I think just about all of them surprised me despite seeing each episode several times. 

9 hours ago, Boss JD Hogg said:

That's a nice model of Jesse's truck!

On the show when they gave a description of a car they would describe it as a blue sedan or a red truck or something generic instead of using the cars actual names.

I have never really noticed the “hiding” of actual vehicle brand names before until now...and I’ve seen “Dukes” several times. But it does seem they hide or cover up brand logos or names on the cars, and they don’t use actual names (such as Chevy, Ford, or Plymouth). Other than Daisy’s Jeep, a lot of the cars used are old and not brand new models...and look to probably have been cars already on the studio lot...so I’m still not sure why the hiding of car brands or names was necessary?? 

• 2 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 3:23 AM, RogerDuke said:

I've wondered that too. You would think that Ford would be happy to have their name displayed. You would think that Ford would pay them just to get advertising. It seems odd that they would have had to pay Ford but I suspect you are right and that's the way things were. Maybe Chevrolet and/or Mopar had commercials on during the show and they demanded Ford be covered.....probably not.....I'm just shooting at the hip. 

Product placement may not have worked as it does today, lol... Perhaps they thought that a ford being made without stop running by the police would make them bad publicity... maybe ford or plymouth didn't supply them with enough parts or car so out of revenge they hid the brands

On 2/17/2020 at 1:50 PM, wotan30310 said:

Product placement may not have worked as it does today, lol... Perhaps they thought that a ford being made without stop running by the police would make them bad publicity... maybe ford or plymouth didn't supply them with enough parts or car so out of revenge they hid the brands

Naa...product placement back then probably would’ve been easier than today. Back then I’d think most products and companies would have been glad to have their products shown on one of the most popular shows at the time! Nowadays everyone only cares about how much money they can make in that moment...you have to pay the companies tons of money to show a product. But maybe that had started in the 80s & eventually it was easier to cover or fade out the car names, than to pay Ford tons of royalties. I don’t think it was revenge though...Jeep provided the Jeeps for the show & Daisy. 

On 11/25/2019 at 10:17 PM, MonacoMan said:

From what I understand Jeep gave the show a couple new Jeeps to use and of course promote with Daisy. So covering up the name and logos makes literally no sense?? :confused: 

Yes, Jeep sponsored the the car or something similar. But when that stopped, they taped over or removed the logos like all others. From what I've heard, product placement rules in the 80s was a lot more strict then they are now unless you focus specifically on something. Even the boxing gloves during 'And in This Corner, Luke Duke' have tape over the logo.

For example when Mythbusters had an episode which heavily relied on cola, and cans were prominently shown, they'd have them fully covered over with paper and new text written on them with a sharpie. But when a cast member was randomly just drinking one in the background or something like that, it's all fine.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:13 AM, RogerDuke said:

You're right that they didn't say brand names but they did say "Charger" on "Happy Birthday General Lee"....the only time in 7 years if I'm remembering correctly. 

Waylon did say that indeed now you mention it. I only remembered when the Junkyard owner said 68' Coupe, but Waylon says earlier in the episode 'Right up to that wreck of an ol' black Charger'. I guess thy got away with it since they didn't mention a make or anything.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Now I'd rather have that instead of the General Lee! Thanks for sharing this. 

I’d have to always go with the General Lee :tup:...but I’d still love to have Daisy’s Roadrunner and/or Satellite (my 2nd favorite car next to the General), Uncle Jesse’s truck, Boss’ Caddy Convertible, and Rosco’s Plymouth Fury! If I had money I’d have one of each...as sort of a real life collection! ;) But sadly I can only afford the diecast models—and even those weren’t cheap! :cornfused: