The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

Mother Nature can sure get artsy sometimes. I hated scraping the windows a couple weeks ago due to overnight fog/frost that left an interesting spiderweb pattern on the windows of the car. 

Well RogerDuke on the western side of Lake Erie it now looks like we will be missed by the worst of the storm. Forecasters were all gloom and doom Monday and Tuesday now predicting we will get 2-4 inches, 6 inches at most, though it looks like my in-law's will get about 8 inches. Wife stopped at the store last night to pick something up for dinner and was shocked at how busy it was. She said every checkout lane was at least 6 people deep and everybody had full carts of food and water. Local weather forecasters should really be ashamed of themselves working people up into such a frenzy so early on before a storm. One even said this could be the worst snow storm we've ever seen which obviously now it won't even be anywhere close. Hope you get that furnace fixed before the storm as the frigid temps behind it will be cold, Monday here will be in the single digits for a high with windchills 20-30 below 0.

:previous:

Soon after the new Minis came out, I was talking to someone who owned one with the checkered flag roof. Tongue-in-cheek, seeing as I'm in Ireland, I suggested they look better with a Union Jack roof. After that he would only talk to my colleague!

Bearing this in mind, you can see why I had mixed feelings when I was asked to carry a Union Jack through the streets as part of a parade last year. To put it in context, it was for a remembrance event, and I was walking alongside the flags of the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Germany.

Got 8.5 inches total snow all day Saturday, thankfully it was the light fluffy kind so it made it somewhat easier to shovel though my muscles still ache from shoveling 2 driveways. Glad the frigid cold didn't do anything to the wife's car, thought the battery might not make it but it started right up. My car is still in the shop waiting for parts and when all is fixed the bill will be around $500.  

Hey Roger did you have any water rescue's on your side of Lake Erie from not to smart people venturing out on the ice? Had quite a few here last weekend even though the temps haven't been cold enough to make deep enough ice to venture out on. You'd think people would be smarter and have some common sense.

Looks like we'll be hit again Monday though the local weather casters are being hush hush on how many inches at the moment but saying we could get as much as we did Saturday. 

I must've missed my vocation in life. Hot on the heels of last year's singing with a choir, I went to an acting audition last night. To give you some context, a local charity is organizing a fund-raiser where several 10-minute mini movies are filmed and then shown at an awards night dinner event. As a newbie, it was quite daunting reading a famous Jack Nicholson speech in front of a group of strangers after only a few minutes of preparation. I've only put myself down for a minor speaking role (I have no desire to be a lead). The auditions were appraised by an actor from a long-running Irish soap opera, and he'll be giving his verdicts and assigning parts next week.

Are there any real thespians out there?

Been up since 2:30am listening to the building cracking and popping from the extreme cold temps, hope I can tune out the noise the next few nights. 

Feel bad for the stray animals around here though, wish there was something more I could do other than put food out for them till the temps go back to normal.

Edited by Spike

Year just keeps getting better. as if i haven't spent enough on car repairs this month now the battery in the wife's car decides to go dead. No couldn't do it 5 days ago when it was still under warranty so it would have been cheaper since they would have pro-rated it. To top it off I found out we have a fair weather friend and not one that would come out and help my wife get a jump from AAA. Wouldn't drive the 5 minutes to the wife's work and wait for the AAA truck so she could get a free jump. Told my wife "why don't you get a AAA membership". Yep not going out of my way anymore to put her trash cans away on trash day.

22 hours ago, Spike said:

Been up since 2:30am listening to the building cracking and popping from the extreme cold temps, hope I can tune out the noise the next few nights. 

Feel bad for the stray animals around here though, wish there was something more I could do other than put food out for them till the temps go back to normal.

I was outside last night to look at the stars and could hear the trees cracking and popping. We got down to 7 below....not as cold as other places so I shouldn't complain.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:31 PM, Spike said:

Hey Roger did you have any water rescue's on your side of Lake Erie from not to smart people venturing out on the ice? Had quite a few here last weekend even though the temps haven't been cold enough to make deep enough ice to venture out on. You'd think people would be smarter and have some common sense.

Not everybody out there is smart and has common sense. If they were they'd be Dukes fans. No, we haven't had any ice rescues in Erie Pa yet this season. I watch the local new every night and they're always on when they happen. 

5 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

Ever since I had a dodgy battery a few years ago, I keep  jump leads in my trunk. I don't think I've needed them since (famous last words), but I've used them to jump start a couple of other cars. It's not a purchase you'll regret.

It's like Murphy's Law in a way...If you need it, you don't have it. If you have it, you won't need it!

19 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

I was outside last night to look at the stars and could hear the trees cracking and popping. We got down to 7 below....not as cold as other places so I shouldn't complain.

Are you talking -7°C or -7°F? (I'm used to Americans still working in Fahrenheit, but I didn't know you had it that cold where you are).

The footage of the burning railroad tracks in Chicago looked pretty impressive on the news.