The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

12 hours ago, HossC said:

We've had a 2-day food festival in town this weekend. There were all sorts of street foods from around the world, a large selection of jams and chutneys, cookery demonstrations and various other attractions which included Latvian folk dancing. I had some very nice, freshly made crisps (potato chips) and a huge meringue yesterday, and a curry followed by mini donuts today. I've also got some raw honeycomb and carrot cake marmalade to eat over the next few days.

5 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Now I'm hungry. Are chutneys what we call jelly? What about curry? I thought that was a spice. Is meringue what we call pie?

I thought I'd covered the cultural differences with "potato chips".

Chutney is a spicy or savory condiment originating in India. Chutney is made from fruits, vegetables, and/or herbs with vinegar, sugar, and spices. It’s used to provide balance to an array of dishes, or highlight a specific flavor profile. Broadly, the word chutney is now applied to anything preserved in sugar and vinegar, regardless of its texture, ingredients, or consistency. Apparently, Major Grey's Chutney is a type of sweet and spicy chutney popular in the United States.

Curry in Western usage is a dish composed with a sauce or gravy seasoned with a mixture of ground spices that is thought to have originated in India and has since spread to many regions of the world. The foundation of many Indian curries is a mixture of onion, ginger, and garlic. In the UK and Ireland, Indian restaurants and takeaways are very popular.

There are several types of meringue, but the most basic is egg white mixed with sugar which is then beaten until it's light and fluffy before being baked. It can be a topping on dishes like lemon meringue pie or the base of dishes such as pavlova. The ones found in bakeries are hard on the outside, but may contain a slightly chewy center, and can include chocolate or buttercream decoration.

1 hour ago, RogerDuke said:

Thanks Hoss. We were pretty much raised on animals my dad killed and also stuff out of the garden and woods so didn't get a lot of food or culture from other places. My mom made the best lemon meringue pies though and she got all those ingredients from the store, except the eggs.

sounds like MY family....you sure you're not from the South? LOL!!  :) 

22 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Thanks Hoss. We were pretty much raised on animals my dad killed and also stuff out of the garden and woods so didn't get a lot of food or culture from other places. My mom made the best lemon meringue pies though and she got all those ingredients from the store, except the eggs.

Next time you go to a big city, search out an Indian restaurant. Young men over here often compete with one another by choosing the hottest dish on the menu (usually after a trip to the pub), but there are many cooler, but still well spiced dishes available. You'll get to accompany the main dish with a variety of side dishes, naans (breads), poppadoms and a selection of chutneys, dips and raitas. Desserts tend to be something simple like Kulfi ice cream.

You can make the meringues at home - the most basic recipe only requires egg whites and sugar (and possibly a dash of vanilla extract).

On 10/31/2022 at 8:49 PM, Hobie Hartkins said:

sounds like MY family....you sure you're not from the South? LOL!!  :) 

I've been telling you for years now....a lot of you Southerners don't realize how many rednecks the north has. That's because the media and entertainment industries put everybody in these convenient stereotypical boxes. 

But I won't go so far a as to claim I'm a bigger redneck than you! 

I just saw the last 2 innings of an historical baseball game. The Houston Astros just threw a no-hitter in the World Series against the Phillies. Before tonight there had only been one no-hitter thrown in a World Series game. Since 1903 there have been 688 World Series games and the only other no-hitter was in 1956. 

Edited by RogerDuke

It's like I'm living a Twilight Zone episode right now where common sense doesn't exist and multi time convicted felons have more rights than law abiding citizens. Our nightmare from two years ago is back and apparently the previous manager erased all records and history of complaints against them as the new manager can't find anything on him, even the no trespassing order. This :censored: is not even a resident and he has more rights than the residents do :wacko:. I even sent the new manager videos from our ring doorbell camera from 2020 showing him threatening us and other residents. She said they were very disturbing but there's nothing they can do without that no trespassing order. I guess it's going to take this psychopath to physically attack someone before they actually give a :censored:. I can not believe we're going through this again. What in the actual :censored: is wrong with this world these days!?! Like I don't have enough going on in my life right now!!!!! WHY WHY WHY????!

On 11/1/2022 at 6:02 PM, RogerDuke said:

I've been telling you for years now....a lot of you Southerners don't realize how many rednecks the north has. That's because the media and entertainment industries put everybody in these convenient stereotypical boxes. 

But I won't go so far a as to claim I'm a bigger redneck than you! 

I was born in Southern California (does that count? LOL), but my mom's from Arkansas and we visited a lot of relatives in the South growing up. Dad grew up in the country, just outside of San Diego. Both mom and dad's family often ate whatever they could shoot. To this day, my mom HATES rabbit because they ate it so much and she just never cared for it. :lol:

21 hours ago, Meadowmufn said:

I was born in Southern California (does that count? LOL), but my mom's from Arkansas and we visited a lot of relatives in the South growing up. Dad grew up in the country, just outside of San Diego. Both mom and dad's family often ate whatever they could shoot. To this day, my mom HATES rabbit because they ate it so much and she just never cared for it. :lol:

I was born and raised in Southern England, and now live in Southern Ireland, but somehow I don't think I can claim that that's the same thing. ;)

On 11/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, HossC said:

I was born and raised in Southern England, and now live in Southern Ireland, but somehow I don't think I can claim that that's the same thing. ;)

I'd call you a Southerner then. You are definitely a Southerner at heart and that's all that matters. I live in the northern part of a northern state but I'm not far from the southern border of my county so that's enough for me to label myself a Southerner. 

On 11/5/2022 at 6:21 PM, Meadowmufn said:

Anybody who would go to all the work and expense of creating and maintaining a website about the Dukes of Hazzard for all these years is about as Southern as you can get. 

On 11/5/2022 at 8:23 AM, Spike said:

It's like I'm living a Twilight Zone episode right now where common sense doesn't exist and multi time convicted felons have more rights than law abiding citizens. Our nightmare from two years ago is back and apparently the previous manager erased all records and history of complaints against them as the new manager can't find anything on him, even the no trespassing order. This :censored: is not even a resident and he has more rights than the residents do :wacko:. I even sent the new manager videos from our ring doorbell camera from 2020 showing him threatening us and other residents. She said they were very disturbing but there's nothing they can do without that no trespassing order. I guess it's going to take this psychopath to physically attack someone before they actually give a :censored:. I can not believe we're going through this again. What in the actual :censored: is wrong with this world these days!?! Like I don't have enough going on in my life right now!!!!! WHY WHY WHY????!

This stinks. Keep us updated. I hope things get better.

• 2 weeks later...

I stuffed myself the past few days lol. Work had a potluck on Wednesday and then had two thanksgiving dinners yesterday. Definitely feeling it today, probably skip breakfast this morning.

I'll definitely never forget this Thanksgiving. I'm 43 years old and people trying to dictate how I'm going to live my life like I have no :censored: choice. We're still in shock after being blindsided yesterday. We never agreed to it or even had any input yet apparently the decision has been made and my family thinks it's a done deal :-o. I don't know how the heck the discussion from last week that my dad's house needs renovated to bring it up to live-able code automatically turned into we're moving in and and taking care of him. I and my wife never agreed to that. In my opinion the house should be sold as is and my dad should move into an apartment or senior assisted apartment. It's probably going to cost $20-30,000 just to bring it up to current home code regulations and fix the things that he let go when he was in good health. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Spike said:

Lesson learned: Don't ever EVER buy a vehicle from family!!! Because they will never let you forget the deal they gave you. If it was my decision I would put a for sale sign in it tomorrow but it's the wife's car so it's up to her.

Also, if it turned out to be a bad car or a rip off....then you've got lots of bad blood in the family! Like my retarded cousin, I've told you about, says when he gets anxious and doesn't know how to repond to someone: " You gonna cause a problem in the family!"  He got that from listening to his parents fight. They used to own an IGA grocery store and several ante-bellum homes and so the family lived/worked together and ergo....lots of familial trouble! 

Off the subject....I am so mad right now. My wife worked a double shift today. Her workplace has been having trouble finding employees the past 2 years so has been offering more and more money to attract people. They are now offering to pay their newly hired secretaries the same amount per hour that she is making.....AND SHE HAS BEEN THERE 44 YEARS! 

I guess this is not the fault of management. They need people and this is the only way to get them. The government is just paying more money for people to stay home than work. Oh well, we aren't supposed to get political here. We can only do that if defending the Dukes so I won't go any further. It's infuriating. I can't wait for her to retire....hopefully in the fall.

9 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Off the subject....I am so mad right now. My wife worked a double shift today. Her workplace has been having trouble finding employees the past 2 years so has been offering more and more money to attract people. They are now offering to pay their newly hired secretaries the same amount per hour that she is making.....AND SHE HAS BEEN THERE 44 YEARS! 

I guess this is not the fault of management. They need people and this is the only way to get them. The government is just paying more money for people to stay home than work. Oh well, we aren't supposed to get political here. We can only do that if defending the Dukes so I won't go any further. It's infuriating. I can't wait for her to retire....hopefully in the fall.

Maybe she should quit and reapply? LOL. That is so frustrating! This whole country is getting out of hand. I applied for help and got denied for the same reasons...supposedly I make too much money. Yet they help people who don't work...with my money. This whole country is running backwards. Sooooo frustrating! I'm sorry you both are going through that...to work that long and get paid the same, is just not right. Common sense is sparse these days...

Too bad we aren't back in Hazzard County...where they like happy endings!

21 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

Yeah and the younger generation thinks they should be making $20+ an hour and get hour lunches and half hour breaks and also make their own hours. One of them got their walking papers a few weeks ago at the wife's work when they went off on the foreman for changing their break. 

On the happy side, I'm pumped about pro dirt bike racing this year. Another big race tomorrow (Sat) night. They have a new system this year called Supermotocross because they wanted  playoffs like every other sport has. 

You get points for Supercross, which is racing in stadiums. You get points for Motocross, which is racing outdoors. And then they have a 3 race playoff for everybody who has accumulated enough points in both to qualify.

I hope Emma Tisdale makes the playoffs! Let 'er rip! You know how they hang a stick in front of a horse to get it to walk? They should fly a drone in front of her with a picture of Jesse on it.