The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

On 9/23/2022 at 1:27 AM, RogerDuke said:

Keep us updated Spike. Yes, please tell me what kind of surgery it will be. Did he have a heart attack or is it a valve issue? 

Triple bypass and fixing a valve. I'm a :largecensored: mess. they assume he had a heart attack a while ago but he never mentioned it to anyone. Trying to get his affairs all in order just in case. 

That is pretty serious. But don't underestimate modern medicine. My father-in-law had double bypass and a valve done over 20 years ago and hasn't had a heart problem since. Keep up updated.

A lot of people have heart attack symptoms and just dismiss it as cramps or heartburn or something else so that's pretty common. After this surgery he will be more in tune to it. 

On 9/24/2022 at 3:45 PM, RogerDuke said:

That is pretty serious. But don't underestimate modern medicine. My father-in-law had double bypass and a valve done over 20 years ago and hasn't had a heart problem since. Keep up updated.

A lot of people have heart attack symptoms and just dismiss it as cramps or heartburn or something else so that's pretty common. After this surgery he will be more in tune to it. 

I talked to my wife about this and it was triple bypass that he had. He didn't have a valve issue though. 

20 hours ago, RogerDuke said:

I wish Spike would let us know what's going on. The hospital must be on the other side of Iron Mountain and the CB ain't working. I sure hope everything is okay. 

Sorry guys just don't get much of a chance to get online other than to check my email. Turns out it's a bit more serious. At most he's going to need a quintuple bypass and repair or replace the mitrovalve(sp?). The doctors are confident that everything will go good and he'll feel much better than he has in years. Gave him a 94% chance of survival and good outcome of the surgery. Unfortunately they, like all the local hospitals post covid, couldn't get a dentist to come to see if any of my dad's teeth needed pulled or if he had any oral infections. So they released him to get that done. Turns out he has a gum infection but his teeth are good to go surprisingly so they got to treat the gum infection then once that's cleared they schedule the surgery. He's currently staying with his brother so they can keep an eye on him. 

On the way home from the hospital last night the brakes went out in my car. I guess if you want to look at the bright side of that at least it happened on a 35mph road while we were coasting to a red light so was able to get it woed down and pulled off the road. Timing of this could have been better though lol. Luckily the shop is able to fit it in this week so the wife had it towed there. 

• 2 weeks later...

The place where I live had a local celebration day today. There were apparently various family fun events, and some of the local tourist attractions had free entry. Unfortunately, we had terrible weather and it hardly stopped raining all day.

I inquired about doing the brewery tour, which I've never done before, but that was limited to three tours before I got there mid-afternoon, so that's something for another day.

In the end, a friend and I looked around the medieval merchant's house and garden. The buildings are around 400 years old and have been fully restored, but the garden was only reconstructed about 14 years ago - pictures there show it was used as a parking lot up until then!

28 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

I did just hear that modern dating techniques have recently proven that the Vikings arrived in Canada in 1021.

By 'modern dating techniques', I first thought that you meant ways to meet women. The Vikings certainly did that in their own well-documented manner!

28 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Hey Hoss, how big is Halloween over there? 

It seems to get bigger each year, but it mainly means that the shops are full of plastic rubbish for a couple of months before the Christmas stuff comes out. Don't forget that Jack-o-lanterns or carved vegetables for Halloween originated in Ireland.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:17 PM, HossC said:

By 'modern dating techniques', I first thought that you meant ways to meet women. The Vikings certainly did that in their own well-documented manner!

It seems to get bigger each year, but it mainly means that the shops are full of plastic rubbish for a couple of months before the Christmas stuff comes out. Don't forget that Jack-o-lanterns or carved vegetables for Halloween originated in Ireland.

Right on Cousin! The politicallt correct " The Indians were here first!" is BULL!  And....one Irishman to another....YES! The Celtics strike again!  :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Caught covid again. I had it in July 2020 and this is the second time. It's different. Last time was 2 weeks of mild symptoms. This hit hard and fast. It's been over 24 hours now and the symptoms have stabilized. If anything, I feel a little better. Mostly have chest congestion and coughing and get the chills on occasion. We traveled Fri-Sun so probably caught it on the trip. My wife tested negative. More bad news: the neighbor lady died. They have been my only neighbors since I bought my property in 1979 at 19 years old so they are like family. He is already talking about selling the house so I guess new neighbors are in my future. I hope they are Dukes fans.

Thanks Hoss. Still feel pretty much the same. I do feel some improvement but it might be psychological. Maybe I'm just getting used to the symptoms. But thermometers don't have psychology clouding their judgment and mine is telling me my fever has passed so progress is being made. We have a Halloween party planned for Saturday so that's not looking good. 

Hope you get better soon Roger.

My dad was in and out of the hospital again. All the meds that were prescribed to him dried his kidneys out and put him into renal failure so he was rushed to the ER. They caught it early enough to reverse it. However his kidneys are only functioning at 40% due to him waiting so long to go to the hospital back in September for the heart failure. He was discharged again Monday and he's doing ok. He's getting his wisdom teeth pulled sometime next week. Then they will schedule the heart surgery a few weeks after that. 

Wife got clearance to go back to work this week so she dived in and even did overtime. Nothing like taking it easy your first week back lol.

:previous:

What a shame that you're both still suffering, Roger. We have a bank holiday here tomorrow which coincides with Halloween this year. I don't do anything to celebrate it, but a few of my friends were discussing getting costumes together for their children today.

We've had a 2-day food festival in town this weekend. There were all sorts of street foods from around the world, a large selection of jams and chutneys, cookery demonstrations and various other attractions which included Latvian folk dancing. I had some very nice, freshly made crisps (potato chips) and a huge meringue yesterday, and a curry followed by mini donuts today. I've also got some raw honeycomb and carrot cake marmalade to eat over the next few days.

6 hours ago, HossC said:

:previous:

What a shame that you're both still suffering, Roger. We have a bank holiday here tomorrow which coincides with Halloween this year. I don't do anything to celebrate it, but a few of my friends were discussing getting costumes together for their children today.

We've had a 2-day food festival in town this weekend. There were all sorts of street foods from around the world, a large selection of jams and chutneys, cookery demonstrations and various other attractions which included Latvian folk dancing. I had some very nice, freshly made crisps (potato chips) and a huge meringue yesterday, and a curry followed by mini donuts today. I've also got some raw honeycomb and carrot cake marmalade to eat over the next few days.

Now I'm hungry. Are chutneys what we call jelly? What about curry? I thought that was a spice. Is meringue what we call pie? 

Still not feeling any better or worse today. My wife is better. I won't keep the daily reports up.... and from now on will only post about it if there is a change.