The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

On 8/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, HossC said:

Sorry, Roger, this is one for MM. My powers are limited to moderating/editing posts. Other than checking that Hobie has cleared cookies and site data, I'm not sure what to suggest.

I've noticed that when I clear cookies/history I have to completely do it to log back in here. I used to clear all but hazzardnet and a few other forums I frequent but when the latest forum update here that doesn't work.

How some predatory lenders are allowed to do what they do is mind boggling. My brother in law had to get a costly car repair done and unfortunately the place he got it done at didn't take his credit card. They had this financial assistance company they work with that has a plan that's ok if you can pay it off in 3 months but if you can't you pay 100% interest on the remainder. He signed up for it and went for the 3 months payment plan but I doubt he's going to be able to pay it all off. 

Went to the junkyard again and got some parts for the SL, going to go back again this weekend and try to cut the doorsill/rocker panel out since it was a garage queen and in mint condition with zero rust. 

2 of my dashcam videos made it on the latest Dashcam Lessons video

#22 and #23 the lady in the Cadillac SUV actually berated me for not yielding to her even though here in the USA you yield to traffic approaching to the left in roundabouts/traffic circles. 

34 minutes ago, RogerDuke said:

Condolences to Hoss and our friends across that deep pond. Queen Elizabeth has passed away at 96. 

Thanks, Roger. I never got to meet the Queen (I've saw her at a distance a few times when I was younger), but she's been a figurehead for Britain since well before I was born. Some people will say that a monarchy's an outdated concept in the 21st century, but having a non-political head of state pays dividends too. She hung on just long enough to meet the UK's new Prime Minister a couple of days ago. The Queen's oldest son, Charles, now becomes the King.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, HossC said:

Thanks, Roger. I never got to meet the Queen (I've saw her at a distance a few times when I was younger), but she's been a figurehead for Britain since well before I was born. Some people will say that a monarchy's an outdated concept in the 21st century, but having a non-political head of state pays dividends too. She hung on just long enough to meet the UK's new Prime Minister a couple of days ago. The Queen's oldest son, Charles, now becomes the King.

I always used to think the monarchy was a waste of time and money but as I got older I realized the importance of history, tradition and legacy. It's too bad we don't understand that on this side of the Atlantic. We seem to want to deny history happened by rewriting it and destroying the past. This cancel culture thing makes me sick. 

9 hours ago, Spike said:

Went day tripping yesterday to Port Clinton/Marblehead area. Let me tell you, after these past few weeks, it was nice to get out of town just for us, instead of dealing with other people's problems. Ended the day watching the sunset at the lighthouse.

I wondered if a mid-90s song by the British indie band The Bluetones called 'Marblehead Johnson' had any connection to Marblehead, especially when I saw that Johnson's Island is only a couple of miles to the south, but it turns out it was a reference to an album by comedian Bill Hicks.

The lighthouse looks like a great place to watch a sunset, and it's celebrating its 200th anniversary this year.

18 hours ago, Spike said:

Went day tripping yesterday to Port Clinton/Marblehead area. Let me tell you, after these past few weeks, it was nice to get out of town just for us, instead of dealing with other people's problems. Ended the day watching the sunset at the lighthouse. 

I'm thinking about taking a vacation far away, just me, myself and I.....leave the wife at the house and get the &*^% out of Dodge! Just the 3 of us!  :) 

I'm sure that Roger would've loved my day out today. No motorbikes, but all sorts of farming machinery on display. This is usually the time of year for the National Ploughing Championships, but this year it's also Ireland's turn to host the World Ploughing Championships (BTW. "ploughing" is just the correct way to spell "plowing" ;)). It's normally where I pick up my year's supply of free pens, but freebies were thin on the ground this year. Due to Covid, it's the first time that the event has been held since 2019. It's now the fourth time I've been to the event, and I still haven't seen any actual ploughing (it's done on neighboring fields). What most of the nearly 300,000 visitors go for are the stalls and stands selling all manner of goods and services.

On 9/21/2022 at 1:51 PM, HossC said:

I'm sure that Roger would've loved my day out today. No motorbikes, but all sorts of farming machinery on display. This is usually the time of year for the National Ploughing Championships, but this year it's also Ireland's turn to host the World Ploughing Championships (BTW. "ploughing" is just the correct way to spell "plowing" ;)). It's normally where I pick up my year's supply of free pens, but freebies were thin on the ground this year. Due to Covid, it's the first time that the event has been held since 2019. It's now the fourth time I've been to the event, and I still haven't seen any actual ploughing (it's done on neighboring fields). What most of the nearly 300,000 visitors go for are the stalls and stands selling all manner of goods and services.

sounds like the fair around where I live!

On 9/21/2022 at 2:51 PM, HossC said:

That would have been awesome. Was Maudine there....or was it just those newfangled noisy tractors?