The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

• 4 weeks later...

This afternoon I went to a hurling match for the first time this year. Considering it's one of the national sports, and the local side are one of the most successful, I really should go more often, but I only seem to get to about one game a year. It's not even that expensive, with tickets at this level under $20. Today's match got worryingly close towards the end, but luckily the home side won by three points.

:previous:

That's pretty cool, Roger. My boss is the mother of one of the star hurling players, but she hasn't introduced me yet.

Speaking of hurling, I found this video of Americans watching it for the first time. In the movie "Blitz", Jason Statham's character calls hurling "a cross between hockey and murder".

Just to explain the scores: you get a point for getting the ball (sliotar) over the crossbar, and a goal for getting it in the net. Each goal equals three points, but they appear separately on the scoreboard, e.g. in the clip, 0-03 is no goals and three points. The hurleys (wooden sticks) do break, and helmets only became compulsory fairly recently!

The potato chips (which are known here as crisps) on the table are Tayto. It was Tayto who invented the first flavoured crisps.

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:50 AM, RogerDuke said:

I damaged a tendon in my left foot over a month ago and it hasn't gotten any better. I've been to my family doctor twice but have made no progress so I have an appointment with a foot doctor in the morning. What's new with you folks?

I sure hope you're feeling better soon! Keep us up on it! ( a little sip might make you feel better....you never waste a sip!...)  :)

• 5 months later...

Seeing as I mentioned singing with a choir on the first page of this thread, I thought it was time for an update. Earlier this year we sung at a St. Patrick's Day event and at a small event in the summer. To bring this post back on topic, I've just got back from our latest outing, which was singing in front of 450+ people in a 13th Century cathedral. I never thought I'd be doing that a year ago.

Technically didn't happen 24 hrs ago but... I finally managed to catch some stray kittens Friday that someone dropped off in the parking lot a few days after Labor day. Woke one morning to find them all huddling on my patio with their mother. A month long of feeding them finally paid off Friday morning when all the remaining kittens went into our cat's carrier to eat and I quickly shut the door by pulling the string I tied to it, mother cat and one of the kittens disappeared a few weeks ago so I do not know what happened to them. Now they are off into a foster home until they are cleared for adoption. We might end up adopting the white one but we're not sure at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2018 at 12:29 AM, RogerDuke said:

Did you make a decision on the white kitten?

Yeah we're gonna adopt her if she's available. Just got to contact the foster person(s) and see if it's ready for adoption yet. Hopefully it's still available and would be ready to adopt around Nov.16th which is my wife's birthday and that cute little furball would make a great present and give the wife a good memory for her birthday as last year we had to put down our oldest cat on her birthday. 

On 11/6/2018 at 3:57 PM, Spike said:

That would be neat Roger.

Past 2 mornings I watched some scary DoH episodes while eating breakfast, Hazzardville Horror and Ghost of General Lee. Set decorators really outdid themselves on Hazzardville Horror, even I would be scared to walk into that spooky house.

I think this is the first year for awhile that I haven't watched "Hazzardville Horror" the week before Halloween. I guess it's not to late to watch it the week after Halloween. I'll get on that tonight.