The last 24 hours

RogerDuke

We just had a friend stay with us on Tuesday night from Tennessee. He was traveling to the other side of Pennsylvania....which reminds me of that song "There's no place like home for the holidays". Part of the lyrics are "I met a man who lives in Tennessee and he was heading home to Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie."

The last 24 hours have been crazy here in Erie County Pennsylvania. The city of Erie got 55 inches of snow in 24 hours and was the #1 story on every national news network. Here in the rural southern part of the county we only got 15 inches. That is the opposite of how it usually goes. A typical bad storm here sees us getting 30 inches and the city (north of Interstate 90) getting less than 10. This is called "lake effect" snow. Hey Meadowmfn doesn't Interstate 90 head into your neck of the woods? I think it goes from Seattle to Boston. 

:previous: Wow, that's a lot of snow.

In the last 24 hours, I went bowling for the first time in over two years. The bowling alley is only across town, but I just never think to go there. Today I was part of a group of 10, and came second overall (none of us were great bowlers, so that's not saying much).

Yup, we even use that terminology for bowling over here.

I remember going bowling at a friends birthday party a few times as an 8-12 year old. It was so strange, you go bowling and see strange words like strike, and spare having no clue what they mean. The only association we had with those that any time you got a spare or strike it would play a short film on the electric scoreboard.

Split is also split in Dutch.

Not too much excitement in the last 24 hours.  I was working on building a model of a Visitor Laser Jeep from the 1984 TV series 'V'.  I had picked up 3 Monogram 1/24 scale Jeep kits.  2 are being built as the Jeeps from 'V' and one will be Daisy's Jeep.

I watched a couple of episodes of MASH this evening with my wife.  MASH is another favorite TV show of mine.  

I got Charlie Daniels autobiography for Christmas and started to read it today and can't put it down. I was delighted to see he went to school in Valdosta Georgia for a little while....not very long though since his family traveled a lot. I need to look into these dates a little more. Let's see Charlie was born in 1936 and was in first grade in Valdosta. Sonny Shroyer must be pretty close to that age.....even though he doesn't look it. It would be cool If they knew each other.....long shot I'm sure. 

Just looked it up. Sonny was born Aug 28, 1935 and Charlie was born Oct 28, 1936. I'm not sure if they had kindergarten then but it's neat to learn two of my favorite celebrities in the world might have played on the same playground as little tikes. I'm pretty sure Sonny was there then. As far as I know he's a lifelong Valdosta resident. 

Georgia is in the Division I national championship football game on Monday night and now the Atlanta Falcons have advanced to the NFC title game with a chance to play in the Super Bowl. I always root for teams from Georgia because I live the Dukes so much. The only time I won't is if they're playing Pittsburgh teams.