Clifton James Dies

HossC

2 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

Hoss is also a genetic Brother, being from Ireland...

Hobie, I'm originally from England, but I've been living in Ireland for well over a decade. Over here, I'm in the south, and your family (County Down) would be from the north!

The island of Ireland may be a good bit smaller than the USA, but you'll still find a good variation in phrases around the 32 counties.

2 hours ago, HossC said:

Hobie, I'm originally from England, but I've been living in Ireland for well over a decade. Over here, I'm in the south, and your family (County Down) would be from the north!

The island of Ireland may be a good bit smaller than the USA, but you'll still find a good variation in phrases around the 32 counties.

Family stories say we have ancestors from County Cork, though I have yet to confirm that through official records. I have confirmed ancestors from Ayrshire in Scotland. Having been born with red hair and green eyes, I assumed I inherited a great deal of the Irish DNA from my dad. Turns out, I'm only 3% Irish and 85% Great Britain/Scotland, with the rest being Iberian Peninsula.

5 hours ago, HossC said:

All my family is Protestant too....I think the Northern part of Ireland is dominated by the Catholics isn't it?

6 hours ago, Hobie Harkins said:

All my family is Protestant too....I think the Northern part of Ireland is dominated by the Catholics isn't it?

Roman Catholic is certainly the largest single religion in Northern Ireland. According to Wikipedia, just over 80% of the population are Christian, with roughly half Roman Catholic, and Presbyterian in second place. Here in the Republic of Ireland, about 80% are Roman Catholic.

What I find sad about Northern Ireland in the division between the groups. I was in Belfast about a year ago, and found all the people really friendly. I didn't care what religion or allegiance (unionist or nationalist) the people held. While I was there, I did the tourist bus tour, and got to see the so-called "peace lines" - 18 foot barriers which separate the two halves of the community. Building walls really shouldn't be necessary in the 21st Century.

Building walls really shouldn't be necessary in the 21st Century.

This has nothing to do with what time period you live in. People are slowly but surely figuring out, that the old ways, of separating people by race, religion etc., were not just for narrow minded, prejudiced purposes, but practical, reasonable ones. People are different. The more differences they have, the harder it will be and the longer it will take,  to obtain and maintain peace. We need to go back to the old ways!! ( look at Hazzard!) 

• 2 years later...

So i am getting to this thread really late but I was sitting here at work watching old Clifton James on the dukes and just wanted to check out when he passed. Every DOH show I watch, I always google the guests to see where they are at and to see if they are still around. I was not surprised to see that he was passed away but I was surprised that he lived to 2017. I was even more surprised to see that he lived in Gladstone Oregon, about 30 min drive from my home qth. Anyway. I thought he did a good job feeling in.